Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labiaplasty

Question Labiaplasty

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've read of women having a labiaplasty done for cosmetic reasons, does anyone have any experience with this for athletic reasons? I ride A LOT and this is an ongoing irritating condition. I don't know who to ask about this, because I think its a fairly new procedure. Can anyone offer any insight from personal experience? Its all over the mags as a cosmetic procedure, but that really isn't the issue with me. I hope you guys don't think I'm weird for asking this but my Gyn doc had never heard of it, and my tri buddy suggested I ask in a forum...

Considering that the procedure would mean at least 8 weeks off the bike, I'd try every possible combination of chamios and saddle first! Not to mention the possibility of complications in that area are scary.

How many saddles have you tried?

that would be a "no"

If I had any discomfort I'd rather spend the money on a new bike.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Talking

I've got a good saddle, and would you site your sources for your comments about "scary complications" other than maybe rumor? I was hoping for someone with personal experience. There are some things you can't fix with any kind of saddle, and believe me, I've tried more than a few, with cutouts etc. its not the saddle that is the problem. If you don't have the problem, then you probably don't know what I mean...I can tell you, its not the optimum.

The thing is, it gets in the way of everything, not just cycling, although cycling is the worst. I've got the best Pearl Izumi microsensor shorts with a pad thick enough to land a plane on, chamois butter blah blah blah..and you are right about 8 weeks off the bike...which is almost worse than the problem LOL

If you google the procedure, which I'm sure you have, there are risks (like with any proceudre), nerve damage in particular worries me. I have a condition called vulvar vestibulitis, thankfully I'm still able to ride, but am unable to have sex (caused by excess growth of nerves etc). Depending on how the labiaplasty is performed, it sounds like some of the same nerves could be damaged-but that depends on your specific anatomy-only a surgeon could identify the risks in your case. It sounds like you're ready to see a surgeon-they might even be able to put you in touch with women who have had the procedure.

My personal opinion: proceed cautiously! My next door neighbor's friend was in good shape, but unhappy with the little bulge around her belly button. She went in for liposuction, and that night a blood clot lodged in her heart and killed her. Surgery is surgery, and there are risks. Just be sure that the pros outway the cons for you. Good luck, whatever you choose.

My suggestion echoes the other girls here...

Get loads of opinions on whether surgery is recommended, desirable or useful...
    Surgery is surgery, and anything invoving anaesthetic and a knife involves risks...

Proceed cautiously and look at all possible options before considering the possibility of trimming your girly bits...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

labiaplasty take two

thanks for the comments, this forum is really great for discussing things you can't bring up with anyone else. and its absolutely true Any surgical procedure carries risk, which was what I was asking about. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and has gotten surgery. Having been through a few other surgeries now, what is really key is the doctor...one needs to know without doubt, they are in competent hands...still, there is no life without risk.
    How do you deal with not being able to have sex, runner girl? That must be a tough one...I'm almost in the same boat, since I really don't want anyone to see this, its not THAT weird, but I'm self conscious about letting anyone see it, so I"m living the life of a nun...LOL

Sorry to read of your dilemma Mtn&Road.I cannot advise you firsthand as I don't have that problem. However, my husband is a surgeon & I asked him about it once after I'd read it in a magazine. He doesn't perform this type of surgery (he's a neurosurgeon) but has heard about the procedure. I thought it was just a matter of trimming a little skin, but he says it's more complicated than that. He has heard of "stuff ups" & would advise anyone to thoroughly shop for a good surgeon. Don't go with the first one you see but get at least 3 opinions. I know this is time consuming (& you sound like you want it over & done with) but it'll be a life time of relief if you pick the right person... & a life time of hell if you don't.
    You're right, the girls here are terrific when it comes to discussing things you can't bear to discuss with anyone else. I can feel your anxiety & I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainandRoad
    since I really don't want anyone to see this, its not THAT weird, but I'm self conscious about letting anyone see it, so I"m living the life of a nun...LOL

um, how do you know you are or not not within the range of "normal"? Or is this just a choice you are making on your own, cycling issues aside?

i.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I must preface my remarks by saying that this is not in any way intended as a criticism of MountainandRoad, who may in fact have a real problem.

When I saw the title of this topic, I thought, "What? It can't really mean what it sounds like?" So I did some research on the Internet, and was horrified and sickened to discover that American women are choosing to engage in the female genital mutilation that is perpetrated on girls in some parts of Africa, and is generally considered an outrage. There were a couple of web sites with "before" and "after" photos, and 90% of the pictures were of normal, healthy vulvas -- but they were the vulvas of adult women in the "before" pictures, which were diced up in order to look like the vulvas of pre-pubescent girls in the "after" pictures.

I'm thinking hell; I'm thinking handbaskets.

From the sports angle, I'm really confused. What the average man has between his legs is far larger than what any woman has between her legs, but I have never heard of a man wishing to have his manly parts removed in order to prevent chafing. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong magazines?
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

Like Eaglewalker, I am stunned anyone would consider this for any reason other than purely medical... we have seats with channels, we have wider seats to suit our hips so we are positioned well, we have padded shorts in many shapes and styles...

Which is why I will reiterate my earlier comment - get loads and loads of opinions before you even begin to consider thinking about saying maybe to this - the potential for constant pain is huge...

And regarding the "range of normal" comments in several posts... again, I support the questioning about how does one know? Many of the girly mags/web-sites (which are the easiest place to find pix and make comparisons) are "touched up" (scuse the almost-pun)... uneven lips, extra wrinklybits and even colours are edited... and this gives completely "neat" but completely unrealistic ideas of "perfect"...

And Eaglewalker... its not just Africa that still mutilates girls (sometimes as young as 3) and women's genitals... it also happens in some parts of Asia, and in some parts of the Middle East... often without the use of anaestheticor hygiene as we know it in Western hospitals.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,

I'd forgotten about the Middle East -- didn't know about Asia -- excuse me while I go find a closet to hide in while I have a nice quiet freak-out moment.
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglewalker
    I'd forgotten about the Middle East -- didn't know about Asia -- excuse me while I go find a closet to hide in while I have a nice quiet freak-out moment.

Save me a spot, Eagle... every time I think about it... or worse, incorporate it into my teaching and tell a group of women about it, I feel physically ill.

In fact, don't just save me a spot in your cringe-closet, bring me a sick bucket too...

Mountain and Road... please don't think Eagle and my freak-out session is aimed at you and this research and ultimate decision you make. At least the choice you make will be informed and for good reason with sound medical feedback and support.