Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Labiaplasty

To disable ads, please log-in.

I work in pelvic rehab.

We see some pretty interesting stuff.

I second the plea for getting 3 opinions before having anything done. And may I recommend that at least one be from a urologist or gynecologist?

During the surgeon investigation process, do talk to at least one who does gender-reassignment surgeries (sex change operations). They are very familiar with that neighborhood. (and boy, do they do some incredible work!)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 04-25-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I had a labiaplasty performed due to the fact that it was very difficult to ride for long periods of time without experiencing some major discomfort. For me the choice was easy, either have the surgery, or quit riding all together. I could not even fathom the latter! The surgery turned out to be very successful! Now, not only do I have more confidence in my appearance, but I no longer experience pain in that area. I could not have asked for a better outcome!

I know the problem and just as a sidenote, have often thought that cycling shorts are just not designed right for women with larger labiae. I think the velvet-like materials they use may be comfortable for men, but for the mucous surface that women have "down there" wouldn't some kind of "slicker" surface work better? Sorry for the hijack.

I can relate to the described problems, but for myself, would be too worried about nerve damage. I'd have a hard time living a life without or with impaired feelings during sexual intercourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I know the problem and just as a sidenote, have often thought that cycling shorts are just not designed right for women with larger labiae. I think the velvet-like materials they use may be comfortable for men, but for the mucous surface that women have "down there" wouldn't some kind of "slicker" surface work better? Sorry for the hijack.
    That's a really good question. Frequently I feel like all the chamois butter in the world doesn't keep my chamois from feeling like dry sandpaper. Add that to the issue of my labia getting pinched between my pubic bone and the saddle and zowie owie!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Wow, interesting old thread.
    2 comments -
    1) maybe less is more? I keep reading about thick chamois and lots of butter. Try thin chamois?
    2) ever thought about recumbent? Yes, they are very different, but they are still really nice road bikes and they are very comfy. I'm as fast on my bent as I ever was on a road bike, and a whole lot more comfortable in numerous places.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    Wow, interesting old thread.
    2 comments -
    1) maybe less is more? I keep reading about thick chamois and lots of butter. Try thin chamois?
    There's definitely something to that. I'm really fond of the chamois in my Shebeest shorts, vs. the one in my PI shorts. Shebeest is just really hard to find, now.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I've tried thin chamois and tend to have far more trouble with them...am I the only one with this problem? Just curious if my butt is just odd...yeah PI chamois are something like a diaper (the 3D), but I don't have near the problem with them.

Terry has a mountain bike liner that my butt likes, though I don't think I could use it for a long road ride. Fine for shorter road rides and for mountain biking though.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    There's definitely something to that. I'm really fond of the chamois in my Shebeest shorts, vs. the one in my PI shorts. Shebeest is just really hard to find, now.
    Thankfully, they'll be back in full force within a year. They changed ownership and are working on new product lines. Check their facebook page - they've been showing teasers of clothing lines!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Thankfully, they'll be back in full force within a year. They changed ownership and are working on new product lines. Check their facebook page - they've been showing teasers of clothing lines!
    Yep, but my 2 pair of shorts may not last that long. Boo.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I too like thinner chamois better. I'm fond of the Loeffler cycling shorts but they are expensive.

I still think the usual chamois material isn't the best option for women. It seems to me that it does the same thing that a piece of cloth in your mouth would do wich doesn't feel good either .

Quote Originally Posted by MountainandRoad View Post
    I've read of women having a labiaplasty done for cosmetic reasons, does anyone have any experience with this for athletic reasons? I ride A LOT and this is an ongoing irritating condition. I don't know who to ask about this, because I think its a fairly new procedure. Can anyone offer any insight from personal experience? Its all over the mags as a cosmetic procedure, but that really isn't the issue with me. I hope you guys don't think I'm weird for asking this but my Gyn doc had never heard of it, and my tri buddy suggested I ask in a forum...
    MountainandRoad you're not alone. I've had experience at work with female athletes having the same problem (I deal with female athletes and female related cycling issues) With the most severe cases, changing saddles, shorts and applying anti-chafe cream had little or no difference at all. Ultimately one of the females had to quit cycling as surgery was not an option for her.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyJ View Post
    I had a labiaplasty performed due to the fact that it was very difficult to ride for long periods of time without experiencing some major discomfort. For me the choice was easy, either have the surgery, or quit riding all together. I could not even fathom the latter! The surgery turned out to be very successful! Now, not only do I have more confidence in my appearance, but I no longer experience pain in that area. I could not have asked for a better outcome!
    I am looking into this procedure for two reasons one the fact that riding is rather painful. I'm on saddle #7. So far the best are wise nose cut outs and thin chamois. The second reason is that I can't even wear pants anymore, skirts only. Anything that touches that area is irritating. I could care less about looks. I liken it to a breast reduction. If they are you big and hurt your back, wouldn't you want them reduced?

Quote Originally Posted by crys.jo View Post
    I am looking into this procedure for two reasons one the fact that riding is rather painful. I'm on saddle #7. So far the best are wise nose cut outs and thin chamois. The second reason is that I can't even wear pants anymore, skirts only. Anything that touches that area is irritating. I could care less about looks. I liken it to a breast reduction. If they are you big and hurt your back, wouldn't you want them reduced?
    As someone who has had breast reduction (covered by insurance, since it was reconstructive, not cosmetic. Went from a DDD to a D), I have to agree. Had I not had my boobs downsized I never would have taken up running...and eventually cycling. I went through EASILY a dozen saddles before trying a Selle SMP. The Drakon model is my favorite. I have a friend trying the somewhat less-padded Dynamic and having good luck with it, too, for similar reasons. I wholeheartedly recommend giving one or two of these saddles a try, on the off-chance that you might avoid surgery. Perhaps not irritating your labial area while riding will help things become less sensitive when wearing pants, as well.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Well, I'm currently relaxing on the couch about 48 hours after labiaplasty. So I figure I might as well contribute. If you're not into TMI, now is a good time to stop reading.

I had a breast reduction done 6 years ago at age 34: 34DDD to 34C. It was life-changing. No more debilitating neck muscle strains (which I used to get a few times a year), greatly reduced upper back pain (though I still have some pain doing certain activities... probably did some permanent damage in the years I lived in misery). Less hormonal pain from cysts, which was sometimes bad enough I had to walk with care to avoid too much painful bounce. As a bonus, I even got ride of a bit of breast tissue in my armpit (maybe more than a bit... it was a bulge big enough to see under clothing)... it also had cysts, and made me wince to put on my antiperspirant. No more wearing a sports bra over a regular bra. I could breathe better. So it opened the door to being more active (cycling for sport as well as transportation) and I lost a few pounds, got healthier, gained confidence. I'm only sorry it took me so long to work up the nerve to talk to a doctor.

In that same spirit of taking care of yourself, during 6 years of mostly happy road bike riding, I've put a lot of thought into my saddle pain. Shorts, saddles, creams, positioning... still squirming not to get my labia pinched. It's a legitimate problem. I sometimes get small tears (which sting), I tend to sit off-kilter to protect my labia minora which means I have persistent saddle-sores on one side, and I even landed on the top tube once, resulting in a bloody flood from a split labia minora that needed a trip to the emergency room for stitches. My labia minora were maybe just at the upper limit of normal (5 cm?), long enough to stick to my thigh when I walk or need re-adjusting of the underwear (that's super irritating, by the way). Also tough to keep clean with so many folds, which may or may not have been made worse from scarring after my rough landing experience. I ride daily, and they've definitely become relatively tough with that treatment, but are still a pretty sensitive body part to be sitting on for an hour or more every day. So I decided to go for labiaplasty after really thinking through the source of my discomfort, and reading stories from other women. I believe it will help me be more comfortable, and it will certainly help me stay cleaner.

My surgery was a simple trim (laser). Twilight anesthetic (I just felt like I slept, and woke up easily). I have virtually no swelling, and have only taken a couple of regular Tylenols the day of the surgery, mostly out of precaution as the local was wearing off. The next day, I was up and walking (normally but carefully), but virtually in no pain, and with no more analgesics. Even had visitors drop by who didn't know I'd just had a surgery the day before. Seriously, I've been in worse pain after a long day of bike riding. Have seen worse swelling after doing a time trial. There is some bleeding, which has almost stopped now. Using the bathroom and gently showering is fine. So, so far I'm kind of thrilled with the surgery, since I was expecting a lot worse. Maybe bike riding has helped toughen me up in that regard? Anyways, I plan to report back once I'm riding again. It will be a few weeks. I'm looking forward to being able to ride as long as *I* want to in the future, rather than just for as long as a certain body part can tolerate it.