Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

"Cocktail attire"...what the heck does that mean?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I am going to a movie premiere in Boston with a friend this weekend and there is a cocktail party before the screening...apparently the invitation specified "cocktail attire". What, exactly, does that mean? Not sure that anything I have is appropriate, other than a couple of sleeveless knee-length dresses that really seem more suitable for summer unless I wear tights and some sort of cardigan or wrap with them...dressing in clothes that are completely inappropriate for the conditions (like a sleeveless dress this time of year...I know the party is indoors but who knows if one might get stuck somewhere along the way and not be inside where it's warm?) just feels wrong to me. Would a longer (dressy) skirt with a cute top be appropriate, or would that be a big faux pas? As for shoes, I don't do heels so it will definitely be ballet flats. Any suggestions would be helpful...I am completely out of my element with events like this.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

It means a dressy dress, or skirt/blouse/pants/blouse combo. Usually it refers to a short as opposed to long dress and sleeveless with a wrap is appropriate, even in winter. Probably the best definition is a LBD (little black dress); classic, simple, with simple accessories.
    How about black pants, a camisole, and a fancier type sweater?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

With cold weather I think it's always safe to go with a longer skirt and you will still be appropriately dressed.

I tend to get cold, so for November in Boston if I were wearing a summer dress like you describe, I would probably wear a dressy turtleneck on top and accessorize with a necklace or silk scarf. Tights and a cardigan or wrap or shawl can also go a long way towards extending the season for something that is more of a warm-weather dress. Knee-high boots are great, too. You don't need heels to be dressy.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I think it means look nice in whatever you want.
    Show as much (or as little) flesh or curve as you are comfortable with. Go over the top if you want.

It gives you broader parameters than any of the Formal Attire permutations (Black tie, white tie, etc.) which are generally more conservative, to my old mind, anyway.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Well...I went through my closet and here are the options:
    1. sleeveless knee-length black dress (not solid black, has an off-white design on it) with black tights, red cardigan and red ballet flats
    2. black turtleneck sweater dress with black/gray striped sparkly tights and either black or red shoes
    3. ankle-length black velvet skirt with sleeveless sparkly top and some sort of jacket or sweater (really not sure this option is a very good one...may end up looking frumpy)

Option 1 is probably the most appropriate...thoughts?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    #1 sounds nice and seems to fit the bill.

It must be an outfit that you enjoy walking around with a glass of wine and canapes (if they're going to serve this). Nice pair of shoes. Hey show your cycling legs.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Definitely not #3. The skirt would be too formal.

How big is the pattern in #1? Is it mostly black, or with lots of off-white in it? Black shoes might look better with it, to keep things from being too busy.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    How big is the pattern in #1? Is it mostly black, or with lots of off-white in it? Black shoes might look better with it, to keep things from being too busy.
    It's mostly black--the pattern is not all that busy.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

gosh you guys sound like ME!!! (except I have even LESS appropriate clothing)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Number 1 sounds perfect.
    I agree, black shoes or boots.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

A dressy little black sweater or bolero, with a few sparkles on it might jazz it up.

I would probably be heading to Ross to see if there was something fun on sale with just a little sparkle to it.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Try googling images for "cocktail attire" for more ideas. You can be appropriate in the simpler end of the spectrum- some will be extreme, but it might give you more ideas...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    A dressy little black sweater or bolero, with a few sparkles on it might jazz it up.

I would probably be heading to Ross to see if there was something fun on sale with just a little sparkle to it.
    That's a thought...maybe I ought to head over to Marshall's (we don't have Ross here but from what I've heard it's a similar kind of store).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Just got back from Marshall's...what a waste of time. Didn't find anything that was any better than what I have, which was probably just as well since I'd rather just use something I have if possible anyway. I guess if my friend thinks the options I have aren't appropriate we'll be shopping tomorrow afternoon . What I'd like to know is, who comes up with the ideas for some of the designs of clothes I was seeing in that store? Brilliant minds, I'm sure . You have to search to find something that is functional in any way, shape or form (aside from the activewear section). Some of the stuff was just ridiculous, like sleeveless sweater dresses (what's the point?), dresses that are so narrow at the hem that one can't even walk normally in them, cardigans and ponchos that are so sheer or loosely knitted (in other words lots of holes--think Swiss cheese) that you'd freeze your derriere off, etc. Can you tell I left the store in disgust?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Men have it SO easy! We're going to a wedding tomorrow. DH is an usher, so will be in black pants with a shirt and tie, I think.

We still haven't purchased a gift for the couple, so hubby suggested we do some shopping before the wedding. I pointed out that I will not be dressed appropriately to be wandering around the mall. His reply "well, neither will I." My retort, "will you also be wearing 3" heels?" That kinda shut him up.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2