Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Hunger ?

Hunger ?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on why this happens to me?
    I just did a very intense ride that burned almost 900 in an hour (I'm 165 pounds to give you perspective of the work load) but I am not hungry at all. I'd much rather take a nap. I eat after rides like this only because I know I should. It can take a few hours to get to the point I feel hungry. It's even worse on longer rides that I burn more calories. I don't get hungry until a few minutes before a bonk.

nope, don't know why it happens.

just know I should eat before I'm hungry
    drink before I'm thirsty
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Decreased appetite after exercise can be due to higher body temperature or over-exertion. When your body gets back to normal, you should get hungry again.

Given that you said this was a particularly intense ride, and you were tired enough to want to sleep, I'm guessing you just over-exerted yourself.

If you plan on doing a strenuous ride, just make sure you eat and drink properly before, during, and after to prevent bonking. Keeping yourself fuelled-up may in itself improve your appetite.
    Last edited by anne_77; 11-26-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Hey there CR
    I often don't feel hungry after a long / intense ride either, but I do make sure I eat, even if its just a sandwich.

However it is important to eat - even if just a little. Ideally you should eat within 20-30 minutes as this helps replace the glycogen you have used and aids immensely in your recovery. Cycling is def a science.

Wanting to sleep is a natural response to an intense workout... so get home, shower, grab some creamed rice, or a sandwich, or cereal and yoghurt... then lie/sit down for half and hour or so and rest, or hit the scratcher and acutually sleep.

But do eat after a hard ride as a part of your training and fitness programme - it does help your body prepare for the next day...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".