Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hang in there Red. Thanks for the update. Hope you find a doctor you trust.

And yay you for riding ... living ... so strong!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Keep riding, Red.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

(((Red))). I'm so sorry you've been feeling blue. I sure hope you find another doctor who can help you sort this out, although it sounds like you're already feeling better. Keep on keepin' on. You remain one of heroes!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

((((((red)))))))

You are still an inspiration. Thank you for sharing - the good, and the bad. Let us be here for you, and know that your words will likely help someone who is going through something similar in the future.

Continue to be gentle to yourself - and ride like the wind when you feel like it!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks guys. Ride I will! Especially since I'm getting stronger, it's really helped my mood. But, feeling weak and tired was also part of the problem, so depressing.

The other thing that really helped was being around people, which was the best advice I received. My friends gave me lots of hugs through this. I think that was most important, actually. Hug therapy. Is there such a thing? It really made me feel better.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I am sure the depression was related to the tamoxifen, and adjusting to the drug has been the hardest part of my treatment. I still feel lucky it's an option for me. But this part was hard.
    I have to agree with you. Tamoxifen did a whole depression number on me in spite of having been on anti depressants for many years. A year later I am still coping with the hot flashes and an occasional two or three day cycle of depression. At least I know now what the symptoms are and how to deal with them. My doctor was a bit more helpful than yours and was very patient with listening to me whine and complain, to reassure me that it was side effects of tamoxifen, to support exercise with a purpose, and keep a good eye on my diet including limiting but not totally, consumption of dairy, sugar and processed flour and anything not full grain.

It has helped, especially training for a purpose rather than just for exercise. I put getting myself back to full strength and endurance a priority

Glad your downer went away and hope you are soon back to your normal self. Tamoxifen is not fun but not undoable considering the alternatives.

hang in there.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Thank you for that, marni. It helps knowing this was something you experienced, too.

I think I may keep my next appt. with that doctor so I can give her some feedback. She's young, and if I just leave, she won't know why. I may call the breast center nurse and discuss it with her as well.

Slacker on wheels.

It's good to hear from you ((red)).

Hug therapy sounds brilliant! I think you should write a book about it and then go on a book tour that visits all the places where TE people are and you could ride with each of us. And then you could write your next book about that!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Glad you are feeling better, red!

Depression sucks -- whatever the cause. Sad when the doc can't be helpful. I agree, fire her and find someone who gives a sh*t!

Nice to have you back. Sending a virtual {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}}}}}}} your way!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Wow, red. Hang in there, girl. Keep riding ..no matter how slow. You're still on the bike. Just imagine you most likely are going faster than a jogger.

{{{{{Big hugs}}}}}}

My deepest respect for marni and red, who have been through these drug effects, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Thank you for that, marni. It helps knowing this was something you experienced, too.

I think I may keep my next appt. with that doctor so I can give her some feedback. She's young, and if I just leave, she won't know why. I may call the breast center nurse and discuss it with her as well.
    I think it is so great that you are willing to do this. It is hard for professionals to get this kind of feedback. Instead, patients/clients/customers just leave.

I am glad you are doing better.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Count me among those who experienced the blues after all the active aspects of treatment (surgeries / followups) was complete. I didn't connect it to the Tamoxifen -- but that makes sense. I was in a support group at the time and the facilitator assured me that it was common to feel down after all the treatment ends and it starts to sink in that this is my life now going forward after breast cancer. I also had a reasonable amount of pain every day from the surgeries and hot flashes as well. Others in the group suggested effexor, which can be taken with Tamoxifen and has the added benefit of eliminating hot flashes. I don't love that I am taking it, but it helped immensely and I am back to my happy self. I'll go off the effexor eventually; for now I am just enjoying the even keel.

(As for diet, I was vegan before I was diagnosed [still am] I eat well and I exercise strenuously 4 to 5 x /week.)
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

My six month mammogram is tomorrow. I'm pretty calm right now, but expect to be a bundle of nerves in the morning. I'm going to try to stay relaxed and stay present.

Otherwise, things have gotten much better. I started meditation a while back, and it's really helping me stay balanced. I am going really easy on myself, saying no to stressful situations whenever I can. I haven't done any hard riding in a long time, and my mileage is maybe 25% less than other years, slower, and less hilly. It's been perfect. I love riding.

I have very few SE's from the tamoxifen anymore. I feel good.

Give me some good vibes tomorrow!

Slacker on wheels.

Sending you lots of good vibes, Red. I'm glad you've employed such constructive methods to help you heal, emotionally and physically. You're a wise lady. Let us know how it goes.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Sending good thoughts your way!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.