Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Red: we will be thinking about you today. Best of luck!

Thank you! My appt is late this afternoon, and I know already that even if a biopsy is done, I won't get results for a while, but I'll post them here as soon as I know. My friend who just had another biopsy said based on the location and other things I've told her, mine should be a piece of cake. Hers came back benign this time. I'm so happy about that!

She explained that the worst thing about all of this is the waiting. I have issues with patience anyway, so this has been a test for me. I had a strange reaction to the stress the other day, which I was a very aware of happening, but I couldn't stop it until my friend calmed me down with her level headed-ness. I spent a good deal of my time at work cleaning my bench, and all my clothes felt wrong, and my hair felt awful on my neck. I was very uncomfortable and needed all my tools to be aligned. It was maybe something like mild OCD. I'm since back to my slightly less neurotic self. It will be nice when this is over.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'll be thinking of you, Red! I hope it all turns out to be nothing.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thinking of you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'll be thinking of you too, red!

Here's another 'nothing' story for you. I was 20 when we found a rather large lump in my breast. My doc kind of joked that if it was cancer, we'd both be famous. They tried a needle biopsy but got nothing out of it. We opted to just watch it for the time being. A little over a year later, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, so I opted for a lumpectomy on mine...just to be certain. I was 22.

Turns out, it was a large fatty mass (doc showed it to me during surgery!) and I've been lump-free since then (that was 21 years ago). The only downside (besides having to wear two sports bras for a few months after surgery when exercising) was that this all occurred in my already naturally slightly smaller breast, so when it was all over, my breasts ended up almost a full cup size different from each other. Annoying, but certainly not the end of the world.

Oh, and my mom is a 23 year + cancer survivor, too.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I have issues with patience anyway, so this has been a test for me.
    You are not alone! Whenever I am in a waiting area or waiting for some test result, I always get miffed we are called "patients". "Patient" is the last thing I am!

Trying to send some patience your way Red. I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

I'll be thinking about you till you find out!

So, today's visit turned out to be just a consultation. Core needle biopsy is on Wed, with ultrasound imaging, so not in office/fine needle as I was hoping for. My other option was to get it excised (a surgery), but then based on the biopsy, it could require another surgery after that to remove more, so I opted for the less invasive procedure, which she (the surgeon) recommended.

The surgeon was very nice, and said she's not convinced it's cancer...yet. I wish she left the yet off. But I feel very informed now. The Breast Center sends in a person to walk you through each step. Literally, they will be coming with me to my next appt. There are lots of hugs and they are very supportive. I'm a hugger to begin with, so I'm okay with it, but I'm sure it would be overwhelming to some, to be hugged by total strangers, who consider you part of this exclusive club no one wants to join. Hopefully, my membership is limited. Remember that Groucho Marx quote about clubs? I feel like that.

Slacker on wheels.

Hoping you have a relaxing evening tonight and can stay calm for the next 1.5 days.
    Really no other words of wisdom, except that I am thinking of you.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks! I'm feeling much better. Definitely back to feeling like I'm going to be okay.

Slacker on wheels.

It's great that they're so supportive. Did you get to meet the radiologist (or I guess ultrasonographer) who will do the biopsy? Hang in there... keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, since you're a hugger: ((((red))))! Please keep us posted.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Red -- a virtual hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post

The thing that bothered me the most was that I was lying face down on a table (which was raised HIGH and had a cut out in the appropriate place, sorry, TMI and unnecessary mental image), with my head turned to look right. I have some mild neck issues, and that position really started to bother me after a while, but they don't want you to move, and I kept thinking they were almost done, so I just suffered through it. The biopsy itself involved very little discomfort. Just the initial numbing.
    I had similar situation only then they all left the room for about 15 minutes while they examined the x rays - I kept calling out hello and asking if I could move. After about 15 minutes one of them wandered back in, told me not to move and wandered out again for another 5 minutes, til they all came back, did the whole thing over again except the numbing and then sent me home. I had a stiff neck that hurt more than anything in the boob for about a week. Wish I had thought to take a sedative and brought my ipod. Both would have helped, but some consideration from the biopsy people would have made a big difference- like just mentioning that they were leaving the room to take a look at the results or something.

opefully no one else has it as bad.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

No, I didn't get to meet the radiologist. It sounds like they travel between hospitals, so you get who is working on that day. So far, everyone has been super nice and very conscientious, and every minute detail has been explained, with diagrams, maybe more than I'd like to know.

I've been told that I shouldn't feel anything, and if I do, tell them to stop and give me more lidocaine. This should not hurt at all. If it does, they will stop. I'll be on my back, which I'm relieved about. Being face down sounds pretty uncomfortable. I got a detailed packet explaining what to expect during and afterward. I'm bringing a couple of bras for afterward. Not knowing exactly how I'm going to feel, how large the bandage is, how the ice packet will fit in there, I want options. No advil (for 5 days prior), only tylenol afterward for pain, which I'm pretty bummed about. No aspirin, either. There were also some supplements that you're supposed to avoid for a few days before, but I don't take them, so I can't remember which. I think fish oil was one. No heavy lifting the following day or 2, but okay to drive. Anyway, I hope documenting this here helps someone someday. There's a lot of unnecessary stress involved, but I think information, knowing what to expect, is key to feeling okay. I really don't feel worried at all right now, and I got a good night's sleep last night.

Thanks for the hugs! Right back at you!
    Last edited by redrhodie; 11-15-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Slacker on wheels.