Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Red, glad to see you here. Congrats on completing your treatment and your new venture. As someone who has no musical talent, I am amazed.
    And, if you ever get the urge, I'd still love to meet up and ride with you...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

[QUOTE=ny biker;716372]Wow, how exciting! Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you're doing well.

What style of music are you playing? I found some great old guitar cds last summer, one from Django Reinhart and one from Les Paul and Chet Atkins. And I've long enjoyed blues guitar as well as the rock guitarists inspired by it. It's a great instrument, and can be used for such a variety of sounds.[/QUOTE
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Nice to see you guys! Rebecca, stay strong. I posted this update because of your thread.

NY, I guess the music is Indy? Dave calls it space rock, and some of it is more psychedelic, but a lot of the songs are kind of retro pop. I watched a bunch of Chet Atkins videos on YouTube when I was starting out. I love his guitar.

lph, so funny that your playing, too! We should start a music thread! I'd love to hear you. Can you send me a link? I'm new to soundcloud.

Slacker on wheels.

Red, I loved it. Beautiful sound. Spotless guitar playing. Nicely mixed, I couldn't hear the lyrics clearly but your singing is really good.

I'm not brave enough to post a link publicly because I'm still very much thrashing around in a beginnerish fashion, but I'll send you a pm :-) (Those of you who know my full name can find me on SC, I actually have two profiles without knowing why). Picking up a instrument for the first time at age 46 is certainly interesting, but not the most efficient way to learn.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I'm very happy to read that you pulled this one out and it's been 5 years. What a relief!

I'd like to play electric guitar. Keep telling my husband I think it will be one of my many projects when we retire in 4 years. haha

Going for bilateral mammo tonight (our government plan covers a free mammo every 2 years once you reach 50 and it is an optional program but you get a thorough followup if something comes up). Always stressful to get through those. I don't find them painful at all, but it is NOT my favorite type of breast manipulation for sure. haha And I hate that I always end up having to go for the focal "spot" compression and then ending up in ultrasound because a spot is never clear enough. Why can't we go straight to ultrasound!

The first time I was almost freaking out by the process as you always fear the worst when you have to go back for further testing. First time it was the right breast and it was just fluid pockets. Relief! Radiologist even took the time to show me that every women has those and did the ultrasound on the other breast to show me he would find some.

The 2nd time it was the other breast and it seemed to take forever for the radiologist to go through that ultrasound. Nerve wrecking but she wanted to clear everything. She was pressing and poking her ultrasound remote on that breast so hard and it was finally nothing. I could see the monitor but it says nothing to me just black and white mix of things. haha All is good and she said see you in 2 years! Which is time now.

But I do have once in a while "pain" in the left breast and it goes away. mostly cyclic thing and I'm menopaused for the past 2 years now. I don't feel any lumps or anything different. I did have breast reduction in December 2010 and since then, my breasts are more tender and "itchy" inside once in a while. Even part of them are permanently numbed. I guess being cut and poked inside takes its toll on them too. I used to have very sensitive breasts when I had my periods. And I suppose some things don't change, even with menstruation done and over with.

TBC.. Anyway...regular mammo tonight and expecting to have to go back for further testing. Just hoping it will be done and over with and good for 2 years!
    Last edited by Helene2013; 03-13-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typos
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Can't post much right now cuz I'm supposed to be working, but lph, I loved your song! I'm going to listen to it through my stereo when I get home. You should make it public. It's really great!

Slacker on wheels.

One day at medical imaging:

I've been remiss, I've been bad, forgive me sisters, it'd been nearly two years since my last confession oops I meant mammogram. So I made an appt. Knott and I drove down, thought we'd make a weekend day of it. I'd get my bqqbs squished and then lunch. Yes, we lead such exciting lives!

We showed up, deposited Knott in the waiting room and I checked in. Soon my squishing tech appeared, she took me in back to the room I'd normally be changing in and sternly announced:

"I can't see you. You need a diagnostic mammogram. We don't do those here and you'll need to make an appointment. No, you can't do those on a weekend. I doubt we can make an appointment for those here. You need to call right away. You have not had a mammogram since 01/??/12 (a date I later realized I was not even in Seattle yet) and at that time we recommended a diagnostic one. So you need to call right away"

I was kinda ticked. Here I was on a Saturday, she's saying I need this other thing and I'll have to use a day off since it's Monday through Friday. Oh well. So I go back out and ask the gal at the desk if I can make an appointment for a diagnostic and she says no, with a very sad sympathetic look, I'll have to call. But I can do that first thing Monday. That's when Knott walks up and asks what's going on.

I explain and she turns white as a sheet.

Diagnostic mammograms as she knew, and I did not till that moment, are what is done when they've found something and need to figure out what to cut. It's a major deal usually also involving MRI. So Knott shakily starts to drive home while, I'm logging into my chart online (can get my medical records online) and pulling up the imaging department. And although it's been over a year all my mammograms are "looks fine. See you next year" "looks fine. See you next year" "looks fine. See you next year" "looks fine. See you next year" .... And I've seen a doctor several times since my last screening and one could think if they'd found signs of cancer my doc would say "enough about the bronchitis, let's take care of this urgent thing."

Nothing there either.

So we both calm down and figure the tech was actually looking at someone else's chart while talking to me (which is very very bad thing although I laugh it off since I don't know who that person is so no privacy issue) or something equally inept. But seems that's a big no no. So when we get home, after lunch and a couple beers, I call and then write my doctor. On Monday morning I get a response from her, something like "Ooops, our bad. Sorry that you thought you were gonna die and yes you can make a regular appointment."

When I went back in it was the royal treatment: the front desk, the tech, everybody apologizing, here, have some chocolate, have some more chocolate, here's a Starbucks card, let us pay for your parking .... I'm just glad to not actually have cancer at this time. Much support and sympathy to those fighting it.
    Last edited by Trek420; 03-13-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Oy vey
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Having been through all of this the hard way, all I can say is don't skip your mammograms. They may be a pain but they are a piece of cake compared to surgery, chemo, radiation, and the countless and permanent side effects.
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

That's why I go...even if I think every single woman hates them. The sooner something is detected (if there is something), the better your outcome will be. I'd hoped!
    Helene

I agree, don't skip mammograms. I WILL say, however, that I get diagnostic mammograms about every 3 years or so because I get cysts that come and go and periodically they want to take a closer look to make certain it isn't a baddie - and yes, sometimes ultrasounds are involved. Here one year, gone the next couple of years, etc. So far so good, but I make very certain to not miss and go to the same facility each year as they have all my records - and is the only place where they have NEVER hurt my boobies in the process. Mine are large and dense which makes false positives more likely.

Very glad it turned out this time, may it always be so!

Dang, Trek, that sucks. The whole "oops our bad" doesn't really make up for the gut clenching fear.

A couple of weeks after I had my reduction I got a phone message late on a Friday afternoon (of course), saying "they found something unusual in your biopsy, it's called focal ductal hyperplasia" give us a call back. This was late 90's, before I had internet access, so I got to be scared all weekend while trying to find what she was talking about in reference books at the library. I know they do this for a living and it's no big deal TO THEM, but it can be terrifying for us.

Electra Townie 7D

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Haven't been around in a while, but just thought I'd let you know it's been 5 years since I finished treatment!

No longer riding. I got obsessed with learning guitar and now I'm writing songs and recording an album (self produced). Boy, have things changed! I look back on this crazy journey with amazement and joy. I can't believe how my path led me to this completely unforeseen, beautiful, creative place.

So, to anyone going through hard times, know that things can and will change. You will be stronger from the hills on your ride. Remember to enjoy the downhill!

Lynn
    Good to hear from you red!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Dang, Trek, that sucks. The whole "oops our bad" doesn't really make up for the gut clenching fear.
    Yeah but I got chocolate, free parking and Starbucks.

Cancer sucks. My dad, grandpa and aunt died of it. Another aunt, grandma and KnottedYet survived. I will never miss another!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

My mammo is done. No pain, no discomfort whatsover. I even told the tech she could squeeze even more if needed. I did take a Tylenol an hour before.

She did mention that my breasts were not dense at all. She showed me the pic from 2015 and she explained what it looked like. I could not see for 2017 as they were already sent (via system) to the lab. But she said that definitively, my breast is not dense but mostly fatty. Great...I'm fat. hahaaha

When I was dressing up, I told her "see you for the "spot" compression in a few days and she said it is not often people go back for more testing. Only if the radiologist wants to investigate more because he can't clearly see through something and he wants to make sure all is covered and avoid any doubts. Well...in my case I had to go up to ultrasounds both times, a different breast. But she said it is not often and this time, it may be just fine with a standard mammo and back in 2 years. We'll see! Crossing fingers it is the case. Why is it we rather go through other tougher things in life then wait for mammo results!!!
    Helene