Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Christmas does give you perspective (on the occasions it doesn't disturb your equilibrium)

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

I started radiation! It's going really well. You don't feel a thing. The hardest part for me is not laughing. I got the giggles the first day, because on my way in, there was an xray on a monitor and I said "Is that me? Oh, I look so thin." Snort. Anything can set me off.

I've also decided to take tamoxifen, which will start right after radiation is finished. Hoping to be able to handle the side effects. I know a lot of women have problems. I really hope I can last long enough to get the benefits.

I think I've had more drs appts these last 2 months than my whole life.

Oh, and I did commute there by bike yesterday. That was fun. I'll be doing that a few times per week. Makes the whole thing better.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 01-06-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I wonder if you are the only person to commute to radiation? This must earn you some serious brownie points, somewhere.
    Great attitude, Red.
    Now go out and ride tomorrow, when it's 50 out!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh, man, I did ride today, and it was one of the scariest rides ever. We were fooled by that gorgeous forecast and not prepared for the black ice. I actually walked down some hills, a first for me. We had 2 crashes in the group. ( I didn't fall). Commuting to rads was way less stressful.

I know I'm handling this okay, but icy hills are too much. I know my limits.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 01-07-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Slacker on wheels.

Yikes, Red! That sounds really scary. It must have been"fun" trying to walk down hills with your cleats and a bike in tow.

I'm glad radiation is going well. It sounds like the worst of this process is over.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Tamoxifen is cool...worst thing is the weight gain. I took it for 5 years (1997 -2002 and was well for 13 years.
    I am on aromasin now and it has needed a bit of tweaking. I hate taking pills against other pills but it's not got to ridiculous levels yet and I'm feeling fine.
    Way to go, Red; rads do tend to get a bit "cumulative" so keep an eye on yourself.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

I don't think my mother had a problem with weight gain from tamoxifen. She did have hot flashes.

She's doing great 14 years later.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I had weight gain from Tamoxifen and am now getting it off. It's slow going. But, I am in this trial http://energytrial.ucsd.edu/ which is definitely helping. So, I feel like I am having little to no side effects now with the 1 hour (at least) of exercise a day.

The main issue these days is feeling like I am having PMS for weeks at a time. I was getting my period at first and then I stopped, and then it started and then stopped again. Before my DX in 2010 I was not at all menopausal.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

Was on tamoxifen for three years, off now due to another primary (not spread) cancer and experiencing the chemo coaster (ugh). Won't need any more mammograms moving forward now.

Didn't have any issues with weight gain from tamoxefin. Mostly menopausal symptoms which weren't too bad. Stayed pretty active during '09 rads, running and biking. Think that being active and exercising helps overall with the symptoms.

Eating a healthy diet and being active are a real help.
    Last edited by SpeedyChix; 01-13-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: addl info

One week down! Rode to rads 3 times this week. We had pretty intense wind and rain at the end of the week, so I drove those days. Still no problems, knocking on wood. Using lots of aloe vera.

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    One week down! Rode to rads 3 times this week. We had pretty intense wind and rain at the end of the week, so I drove those days. Still no problems, knocking on wood. Using lots of aloe vera.
    Way to rock it. Staying active seems to help.

What a woman!!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

One third done! Managed another 3 commutes, which I'm pretty proud of since it was 18° one of those days, and snow/ice the other two. Of course that makes me appear very badazz to the rest of the kids in the waiting room (who are all retirees). They always ask about my ride, and one of the ladies has a motorized trike she rides in summer, so they don't seem to think I'm that weird. I'm working on getting the receptionist to commute. I can tell she's thinking about it.

I still have no skin issues, and although I did need a long nap yesterday, I'm not sure that wasn't just normal sleep deprivation, along with the extra effort of riding on studs.

Slacker on wheels.

Wow, it's cold out there... good job on riding to treatment. I hope you're not riding today. Of course, I know those of you with studded tires keep right on going.
    It's great that you can be a good role model for the retirees and the receptionist. Hopefully, you'll inspire one of them.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

No riding for me today! My lbs even canceled today's ride. Studs aren't great in this kind of heavy snow, so I've been lounging with gusto. I did walk to to get supplies earlier, and that was fun, but now I'm hunkering down with the kitties. Life is good.

Slacker on wheels.