Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not really, but we haven't had much time to discuss it. He said something about floating higher in the water (which is logical, but I float pretty well ) and being able to use the oxygen in your lungs for longer, which I'm not sure if I buy.

Anyone?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Has the instructor explained why he wants you to hold your breath? I'm confused by that...
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Not really, but we haven't had much time to discuss it. He said something about floating higher in the water (which is logical, but I float pretty well ) and being able to use the oxygen in your lungs for longer, which I'm not sure if I buy.

Anyone?
    I'm with Becky, that's very odd.

I know competitive swimmers who practice breath holding to increase lung capacity, but I've never heard of that with people learning to swim.

Electra Townie 7D

His explanation runs counter to what I was taught. I learned to exhale continuously, which lowers your chest and raises your legs, making you more streamlined and efficient.

But I don't know enough to say who's right.

Well then! I think I'll just happily ignore that part for the time being He hasn't really been stressing it, just said that that would be ideal.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Well then! I think I'll just happily ignore that part for the time being He hasn't really been stressing it, just said that that would be ideal.
    I think if you try to keep your breathing as natural as possible, you'll find your swimming epiphany. Best of luck!!

Electra Townie 7D

Yeah, it seems counter to what I've learned too. The idea of keeping oxygen in your lungs doesn't hold water (ha ha) because your body doesn't sense oxygen levels. It senses CO2 levels. If you are in a room with no oxygen you wouldn't notice so long as you can get rid of the CO2. That's why people get carbon monoxide poisoning, or suffocate without knowing it in a room full of gas nitrogen. Breathing out continuously lets your body keep getting rid of CO2.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Hi lph! I'm taking a swimming class this term too. My swim instructor, like others on this board, recommends exhaling naturally and smoothly while our heads are underwater during the stroke.

For me, I can't hold my breath underwater very long before feeling panicky anyway. Panicky feeling => hyperventilating or gasping underwater => choking on icky chlorinated water
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Hey lph, how's the swimming going??

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Hey lph, how's the swimming going??
    Didja have to ask today?

Today I feel like a lead weight. A flailing one, but lead nonetheless. Busy week, just swam once, and that's way too little. Today he had us right out into swimming freestyle with no gadgets, he just wanted us to swim across the pool () trying out different hand and arm positions to feel the difference. So I've flailed my way across the pool but I have no idea what my arms were doing
    I think actually I'm doing the right things, but just have to practice a whole lot because I'm doing them too fast, too energetically and too uncoordinately, and I don't breathe out or in enough. So I end up moving quite fast but stopping halfway to breathe. Besides I'm old and stubborn and need lots and lots of practice to learn new things. Yes, I know a lot of you are older than me, but I swear I can FEEL my brain going "ow, stop it, stop pestering me, I'm confuuuuuused"...

But at least I've given up on holding my breath.

I so wish I could work with you for an hour! Finding those one or two tweaks that smooth out a stroke is just magical... you ever come to the states and we're going swimming!

Electra Townie 7D

Deal

There are so many things to coordinate when swimming. One of the many things I like about Total Immersion (also Chi Running) is they instruct you to focus on one or at most two things at a time. So one length across the pool you focus on proper head position. Your arms and legs might be completely wrong but you don't worry about that. Coming back across the pool you pick a different focus, like body roll. Eventually it all starts to come together.

It reminds me of practicing hands alone when I was learning piano. Right hand once, left hand once, hands together.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Yup. And I had a (minor) epiphany when I realized how I have to learn to breathe before I can focus on anything else. I was using fins, and managed to look back at my hand emerging from the water, and hey presto, I got to the other side without feeling my head was going to explode. Amazing how enough air made it possible to start thinking about hand position and arm position and finicky stuff like that.

Without fins I'm still only half-oxygenated, but working on it.

Bizarre conversation at the pool today, with officious dude. I was miffed that the attendants hadn't let me borrow fins.

Me: "Excuse me, is that your own kickboard?"
    Him: "No, I just borrowed it here. Having trouble with your leg kicks?"
    Me: "No, timing my breathing, really. I'm a learner, and I wanted to borrow some fins, but they wouldn't let me."
    Him: "Well, you can borrow the plate after me if you like"
    Me: "Thanks, but actually I just need fins."
    Him: "You have to keep a straight leg, not bent. And kick from the hip"
    Me: "Uh, yeah. But it's the breathing.."
    Him: "There was a triathlete here earlier practicing kicks. And he didn't budge from the spot!"
    Me: "Yup, that sounds like me, on the first day of the class."
    Him: "Are you a triathlete too?"
    Me: "Uh, no. I'm a beginner trying to learn freestyle." (Trying to change the subject) "There's so much to think about. Using fins helps me concentrate on my arms."
    Him, totally seriously: "You have to swim cognitively. Don't think!"
    Me, mentally rolling my eyes: "Right. Thanks."
    Him: "You have a noseclip. You don't need that."
    Me. "Actually, yes, I do need a noseclip."
    Him: "No you don't."
    Me: "Yes. I do." (see, I'm learning )
    Him: "Breathe in through your mouth, out through your nose."
    Me. "I breathe both in and out through my mouth".
    Him: "Oh."