Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adrenalin rushes.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone else have this problem and do you do anything for it. I have had heart palps for a long time now. They come and go. Have been checked out for them several times. Take a beta blocker (kinda helps, does keep bp down though) but this past year I have this bad habit of waking up in the morning and having these adrenalin rush's. Drives me nuts! I try and meditate and think of calming things but it always get's me out of bed and running to the bathroom (sorry if that is tmi). I will admit during my busy work season this happens more often and I am 3 days away to starting my last job of the year. But this morning thing is annoying. I am fine once I get up. Am I alone? Does anyone else have this issue?
    I thought about switching the time i take my med to at night to see if that would help. It seems the Dr never has a good solution.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? This is one of the indications that it is time for me to go see the Endocrinologist to tweak my meds.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

That is interesting. I am due for a blood test. And thyroid problems affect my mom. She is the only one in the family who has issue's but maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    Have you ever had your thyroid checked? This is one of the indications that it is time for me to go see the Endocrinologist to tweak my meds.

P2
    So you have this issue as well? Or have had I should say?

I'd second running a thyroid function test. I'm pretty surprised/shocked your doc hasn't already run one as heart palls is a pretty common symptom of a hyperactive thyroid. I certainly had them before getting my own thyroid under control.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I will look into this and I have had blood test and such through the years. I have another I have to do. I was waiting till I was off the road traveling though. Now would I not gain/loose weight though? My weight is very steady. it might drop or go up a pound or 2 but that is it.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    You're not the only one...I sometimes wake up with an adrenaline dump too! It is kind of annoying when it happens but doesn't take too long to dissipate...I just deal with it.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I will look into this and I have had blood test and such through the years. I have another I have to do. I was waiting till I was off the road traveling though. Now would I not gain/loose weight though? My weight is very steady. it might drop or go up a pound or 2 but that is it.
    I didn't lose more than a couple of pounds. My case is pretty mild and I my appetite was rather big. The point is that I would expect a doc to run what is a pretty standard test when someone presents with heart palps, just to rule it out.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I didn't lose more than a couple of pounds. My case is pretty mild and I my appetite was rather big. The point is that I would expect a doc to run what is a pretty standard test when someone presents with heart palps, just to rule it out.
    I promise i will look into this. I also have an annual Dr appointment anyway for a med check with the Beta blocker I am on. Again which does not seem to help the palps. Maybe for about the first 6 months I was taking it this year. (eye roll) I do wonder about Dr's and how agressive they can or can not be.

I get panic attacks occasionally. Up until this past year they were always the really mild kind that just felt like "adrenaline rushes." Here recently I've had a couple of the scarier ones - now I understand what people mean when they think they're having a heart attack, thinking they're about to die. Yikes. Panic attacks can cause palpitations all by themselves...

Reducing your overall stress level, through meditation or whatever, has got to help.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

When you say you have to run to the bathroom, what do you mean? To throw up or to have a bm? I agree that it could be anxiety related, but I would want to rule out an underlying medical issue first. As for some diva being more aggressive than others, I think that's true. But I also think it's true of patients. It pays to be proactive and assertive. For instance, given that your mom has thyroid issues should be something that you've discussed with your doctor in terms of what additional annual screenings are appropriate for you. My sister has a thyroid-related autoimmune disease so I pressed my doc years again to screen me for that.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My Mom has thyroid issues and the doc said that my brother and I both have a 50% change of it occuring.....100% for me.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

BM not throwing up. I have a very active colon. lol sorry tmi. My digestion is very affected by my stress levels for sure. I will be actively asking about screening for thyroid. I have my bllod workup sheet here not sure if that was marked by the Dr? Anyone know what it would say? There are several things marked to be screened.

thyroid tests

Here is what it says on Kaiser Perm's website about thyroid tests - I couldn't remember what they were called even though I get them yearly too:
    Edna

Test Overview
    Thyroid hormone tests are blood tests that check how well the thyroid gland is working. The thyroid gland makes hormones that regulate the way the body uses energy.

The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland that lies in front of your windpipe (trachea), just below your voice box (larynx). The thyroid gland uses iodine from food to make two thyroid hormones: thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The thyroid gland stores these thyroid hormones and releases them as they are needed.

Thyroid hormone blood tests include:

Total thyroxine (T4). Most of the thyroxine (T4) in the blood is attached to a protein called thyroxine-binding globulin. Less than 1% of the T4 is unattached. A total T4 blood test measures both bound and free thyroxine. Free thyroxine affects tissue function in the body, but bound thyroxine does not.
    Free thyroxine (FTI or FT4). Free thyroxine (T4) can be measured directly (FT4) or calculated as the free thyroxine index (FTI). The FTI tells how much free T4 is present compared to bound T4. The FTI can help tell if abnormal amounts of T4 are present because of abnormal amounts of thyroxine-binding globulin.
    Triiodothyronine (T3). Most of the T3 in the blood is attached to thyroxine-binding globulin. Less than 1% of the T3 is unattached. A T3 blood test measures both bound and free triiodothyronine. T3 has a greater effect on the way the body uses energy than T4, even though T3 is normally present in smaller amounts than T4.

Other blood tests are often used to check how well the thyroid gland is working.
    Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test measures the amount of TSH in the blood and is considered the most reliable way to find a thyroid problem. If the TSH test is abnormal, other thyroid hormone tests such as a T3 or T4 may be done. For more information, see the topic Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone.
    Thyroid antibodies test measures the presence of antibodies against thyroid tissue. Antibodies may mean that you have an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Graves' disease.
    Thyroxine-binding globulin (TBG) test. TBG is an important protein in the blood that carries the thyroid hormones T3 and T4. TBG testing is not done very often.
    Other tests used to investigate problems with the thyroid gland include thyroid scan, ultrasound, or biopsy. For more information, see the topics Thyroid Scan and Radioactive Iodine Uptake Test, Thyroid Ultrasound and Parathyroid Ultrasound, and Thyroid Biopsy.
    Because false-positive results can occur when testing a newborn for congenital hypothyroidism, the thyroid hormone tests may be repeated a few days after initial testing. If the results are still abnormal and congenital hypothyroidism is suspected, additional testing is done.

Quote Originally Posted by evangundy View Post
    Here is what it says on Kaiser Perm's website about thyroid tests - I couldn't remember what they were called even though I get them yearly too:
    Edna

Test Overview
    Thyroid hormone tests are blood tests that check how well the thyroid gland is working. The thyroid gland makes hormones that regulate the way the body uses energy.

The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland that lies in front of your windpipe (trachea), just below your voice box (larynx). The thyroid gland uses iodine from food to make two thyroid hormones: thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The thyroid gland stores these thyroid hormones and releases them as they are needed.

Thyroid hormone blood tests include:

Total thyroxine (T4). Most of the thyroxine (T4) in the blood is attached to a protein called thyroxine-binding globulin. Less than 1% of the T4 is unattached. A total T4 blood test measures both bound and free thyroxine. Free thyroxine affects tissue function in the body, but bound thyroxine does not.
    Free thyroxine (FTI or FT4). Free thyroxine (T4) can be measured directly (FT4) or calculated as the free thyroxine index (FTI). The FTI tells how much free T4 is present compared to bound T4. The FTI can help tell if abnormal amounts of T4 are present because of abnormal amounts of thyroxine-binding globulin.
    Triiodothyronine (T3). Most of the T3 in the blood is attached to thyroxine-binding globulin. Less than 1% of the T3 is unattached. A T3 blood test measures both bound and free triiodothyronine. T3 has a greater effect on the way the body uses energy than T4, even though T3 is normally present in smaller amounts than T4.

Other blood tests are often used to check how well the thyroid gland is working.
    Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test measures the amount of TSH in the blood and is considered the most reliable way to find a thyroid problem. If the TSH test is abnormal, other thyroid hormone tests such as a T3 or T4 may be done. For more information, see the topic Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone.
    Thyroid antibodies test measures the presence of antibodies against thyroid tissue. Antibodies may mean that you have an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Graves' disease.
    Thyroxine-binding globulin (TBG) test. TBG is an important protein in the blood that carries the thyroid hormones T3 and T4. TBG testing is not done very often.
    Other tests used to investigate problems with the thyroid gland include thyroid scan, ultrasound, or biopsy. For more information, see the topics Thyroid Scan and Radioactive Iodine Uptake Test, Thyroid Ultrasound and Parathyroid Ultrasound, and Thyroid Biopsy.
    Because false-positive results can occur when testing a newborn for congenital hypothyroidism, the thyroid hormone tests may be repeated a few days after initial testing. If the results are still abnormal and congenital hypothyroidism is suspected, additional testing is done.
    Hey thanks i will check to see if T4 or T3 is marked on my blood panel. I appreciate the info!