Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2011 Wild Goose Chase

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow, that was fun! As last year, two friends and I made a weekend of it. We all scored great bargains (some of them even cycling-related ) at the tent sale , I test-rode a Terry Symmetry (oooooh, what a nice bike!), we ate and played and laughed ourselves silly, and we even got in lovely bike rides!

Despite its being 37°F (!!) when I awoke, the day become lovely and warm. We had a late start; the non-cycling friend did the short ride (as she did last year), and the other friend and I did the 42.8 mile ride (as we wanted a late start due to the forecast morning chill; we had initially planned to do the metric century), which by the time we were done was a 46-mile ride (so I rode another four miles to make it 50).

Saw eagles and bluebirds and egrets and heron and cormorants and vultures and lots and lots of geese.

It was great!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Pictures??
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Wild Goose

I rode over there on Saturday, but elected not to go through the standing water on Maple Dam Road, which is part of the 43 mile ride. There is about a 5 mile stretch with several patches of standing brackish water (some 4-5" deep). So I had to change my route considerably, and by then was running so late I did not get to visit the information center, nor the tent sale. But I needed to be in DC by 5 so I could shower and change for a dinner party.

Plan B was to get up early Sunday and go back to Blackwater to do the ride, but we ended up going to the Smithsonian Museum of American Art instead. Which was nice too.

So did everyone ride through the water or did they change the route to avoid it?

I am off work today, and it's a beautiful day. I thought about going over to ride there again, but I will ride closer to home.

7rider, I didn't even take a camera with me! So no pics this time; I'm sorry!

withm, I know there was water on Edgar or .... ummm... the other one, but a woman working the rest stop advised us to continue down to Andrews to avoid the water rather than turn onto Edgar. Which we did, and that worked out fine, though added a bit to the ride.

I did the 64 mile ride with my sister. No problems with the water--there were patches of it on Edgar or Liners or whatever that road was, but it was easily avoided by just staying in the center of the road. Gorgeous ride, beautiful day--really couldn't have been nicer! I managed to avoid buying anything at the tent sale, but it was tough--there were some really good deals there. Maybe next year when money isn't so tight?

Let's see if I can get some of these pictures to post:

Nice pics, sfa. Looks like a very lovely day.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent