Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First 'cross race

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today was my first cyclocross race ever and I have to say I'm totally addicted! The race took place next to the Saratoga race track. The course was fun and fast with a huge, long sandpit. It tripped everyone up. People were falling and some went over the bars. It was a spectator's dream, but not so fun when you're pedaling through the thick of it. I ended up half running and half riding. Still a great time, though. I need to work on my mounts/dismounts, but I'll get there. Hoping to do another race by the end of the season.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Isn't it a blast?! Mounts/dismounts are really what do me in, too. I get passed by a lot of people at these points. I can nearly catch these people on the flats, then lose it again when I have to get off the bike.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I also had trouble with my saddle/seatpost. It's a single bolt and I hit two particularly nasty bumps which caused my saddle to jerk upward. I was barely perched on the thing by the end. Live and learn...

Another thing that tripped me up was that they combined citizens cat 4 men and women, along with juniors and I couldn't tell how many laps I had left, since we all had staggered starts. I saved a little too much in my second lap, thinking I had a third to go (they were long laps), but then they said I was done. Confusing.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

It can be surprisingly difficult to know how far one's gone in a CX race. I rely on my Garmin to help me know where I am on the course. Today's course was about 1.25mi/lap, so I knew when I was at 3.75 that I still had a lap to go.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm still trying to get the hang of this...Using the example you just gave, how did you know, based on the mileage, that you had one lap to go? I thought it was based on time?

congrats on your first race! welcome to the addiction

i still get messed up with that too. yesterday, i came through the finish area for the 3rd time and heard the announcer say "two to go", so i figured i'd hold a little back for the last lap and not go all out just yet. but then i must've been passed by the lead B ladies because at the end of lap 4, they were waving the checkered flags. drat!

i should've trusted my instincts which told me that i was doing 10 minute laps and that i'd do 4. oh well. a solid mid-pack finish (44 out of 86) is never a bad thing, i just hoped i'd do a bit better. next week, no saving anything for the end! and i need to work on being more agressive and getting around people. i'm chicken and wait too long for the "perfect" opportunities to pass, and those rarely present themselves!