Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tall riders and WSD fit?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went and test rode a few road bikes today...first time I have been on a road bike! It was a lot of fun.
    I am 5'11 (long legs, shorter torso in relation to my legs, but still pretty long torso for a female), so I just kind of assumed I'd be too tall for a WSD.
    They started me on a Trek 2.1 which was nice, but it was way too long for me.
    THen I tried a Lexa SLX and couldn't get over the difference. It felt so much better. I rode the 56 as they didn't have a 58, and the LBS guys seemed to feel that the 56 was the right size for me. (They can order a 58.)
    I went to another shop afterwards, in the hopes of riding a Specialized in the same price point, but they only had a 54 WSD ("We hardly ever carry 56 WSD." Hmmm, why not???). I did try a 56 men's Allez (I think) which was again too long for me. The guys at this LBS were not super friendly and did not seem to want to spend too much time with me, so I didn't learn too much about Specialized unfortunately.
    Just curious if any other tall riders out there have WSD's? I have to go back and do a more serious test ride before i buy, but just wondering if anyone has any feedback.
    They have a 2011 Lexa SLX in stock, marked down, but not significantly. Seems like it is the floor model. WHat are your thoughts on that (I'm worried that it's taken some abuse from test riders, etc). The 2012 wouldn't be that much more, and they'd have to order it, so I know it would be brand new.
    I was scared to try a road bike... i just thought I woudl feel out of control/unstable, etc on it, but it felt great! I can't wait to make a purchase.

If it feels good, ride it.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I'm not nearly as tall as you (5'7") but I have a pretty long torso. Trek seemed to think I'd be better off on their WSD mountain bikes but they didn't have one in stock for me to try. (However, I checked the geometry later, and their WSD mountain bikes are almost identifcal to the unisex bikes).

The Lexa sounds like it might work for you. But, you might want to do some geometry comparisons online with similar bikes, just to see what other options you might have. And maybe call in advance to see if the stores have what you're looking to try (I found out that Trek WSD wasn't available anywhere else within 2 hours from here by calling...so I went ahead and bought something else instead).

I don't own a modern road bike so I'm not too much help with what models might work. Good luck!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I'm 5'9" and bought a Trek Madone 3.1 wsd in July. I had a terrible time trying to buy the bike. I went to 5 different stores and three did not have any 56 wsd bikes for me to ride. One guy put me on a 60 (not wsd) and dismissed my concerns that it felt unwieldy. One guy told me he could order one, but the understanding was that I would buy, not try. Finally went to a place that listened to me, swapped some stems on a regular 56, let me ride some more, listened, swapped stems, etc. Eventually I ordered a wsd from them. I love her.

I wouldn't worry about the floor model. I don't think road bikes get too beat up during demos. See if you can get a discount.

I'm shorter than you (a little shy of 5'7"), long legs, short torso. But I have a devil of a time finding anything on the shop floor--it seems like if you don't fit a narrow range of height and proportion, you're SOL when it comes to bike shops.

One thing that I think you should be aware of is that for some reason, in the larger sizes, there can be very little difference between the unisex and the WSD frame geometries.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Interesting Owlie about the WSD and unisex specs being the same. I don't really know much about all of the #'s, but I looked at the specs on trek's website, and you are correct, all of the measurements seemed to be the same between the Lexa and 2.1 in a 56. I think the 2.1 i test rode was actually a 58. I think the Lexa was an H3 fit (most relaxed) and the 2.1 is H2 (more aggressive), so that might make a difference.
    If Roo is 5'9 and on a 56, do you think it is feasible that I am also comfortable on a 56 (at 5'11)?
    Given that I am new to road bikes, and the position is very different, it's hard to know if it feels ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jlnc View Post
    If Roo is 5'9 and on a 56, do you think it is feasible that I am also comfortable on a 56 (at 5'11)?
    Given that I am new to road bikes, and the position is very different, it's hard to know if it feels ok.
    Perfectly feasible. My younger sister and I are the same height, but she rides a 51 cm frame and I'm comfortable on 54. There are so many different measurements that go into determining what bikes fit what people.

Sometimes determining the "perfect" bike is difficult, because you need adjustments or parts swapped that a shop may not think to tell you about...but definitely listen to your gut about what bikes feel absolutely wrong. Keep the maybes on your list, but keep a record of what about them felt odd to you. Then make sure you bring those issues up before you put any money on the table. If the shop wants to keep you as a customer, they'll help alleviate your concerns and not just brush them off.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Go with what you feel best on. I just bought a 48cm Felt F5 (men's frame) and love it. Actually my husband is getting the 51cm Felt F5. His is actually the floor model.
    I'm 5'0" and also have a hard time finding anything in my size on at a shop. Most shops would have to special order for me. I've only been able to test two bikes that were floor models. One was the base model Lexa at our old LBS in Charlotte. The other was a Dolce at a dealer in Raleigh. My old road bike is a Trek 2000 47cm men's bike. Basically what I discovered in testing the two WSD bikes is that I prefer the fit of the men's bike, but will never be able to find the small size in a floor model to test. The older bike shop is of the opinion that I'm female so I have to have a WSD, even though I'm not as comfortable on them. The new bike shop in town listened to what I was telling them. (The new bike shop sells Specialized and Felt) Basically as far as their two brands decided that I needed to either look at the Felt 5 series or the Specialized Ameria (mostly because the Allez does not come in a small enough frame size for me.)

I'm 5'10" and a 56 is almost like a toy bike to me, so yeah, it's all about leg and torso length. If you can afford a fit from a recommended fitter in your area, I'd do it (so much less than the loss if your new bike isn't right!). Regardless, for sure go on a couple of long test rides before committing, and if there's another shop or two to try, I highly recommend thinking outside the Trek/Specialized box. Especially if you don't need/want a WSD bike, you may find a shop who will take more time and care with you. Or not...but have fun!
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

I have a WSD Trek Mamba 29er Mountain bike and DH has the same size in men's. There are some differences but not much. My handlebars are smaller and I think the top tube is sloped differently. Love the WSD design on my Mamba much better than his men's Mamba but not sure what makes the difference.

I'm 5'10" and ride a 56cm Trek Madone but at times it seems too small. It's not WSD though. Seems that size is hard to find. My son has an Allez that's bigger (can't remember size but it's HUGE) and almost fits me better. I think Specialized makes more comfortable frames but I get frustrated with the gearing problems. Their Tarmac was to die for in comfort. I'd almost wished I bought that bike instead of the Madone.

LBS I went to in Lincoln had a WSD Madone that was small and when I asked about the differences, he said the larger WSD sizes are basically the same size as the regular ones. I sat on the WSD (too bad it was too small) and it felt really nice so again there has to be some kind of difference.

If it feels good to ride it regardless of size or WSD, go for it. I wish I could try a WSD 56 Madone to compare to mine, but I'd have to order it on condition I buy it.

Try out different brands as well. A 56 in one company may not be a 56 in another. If a 58 fits better, do it.

I know the guy said there wasn't much of a difference between the larger sizes of bikes, but there is. I take my Madone in for a fitting with this guy on Tuesday. He said some minor changes would really help with comfort once I explained some of the issues.

So yes, tall people can use WSD bikes if needed. They are just harder to find because they aren't in demand. I wouldn't change my WSD Mamba for anything.

Good luck with shopping for your bike. Take your time so you don't get overwhelmed.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I went out on Sunday and went to 3 more shops and did more test rides on various sizes/brands, but didn't find anything I was too interested in.
    I went back to my LBS tonight for another test ride on teh 56 Lexa. The awesome sales guy who helped me with my FX last year was there tonight. Good news...he had a 58 Lexa (I guess the other sales guy didn't know it was there on Saturday), so i could compare the 56 and 58 Lexa. The 58 felt better and the reach was good. It was a 2011, on sale....what's a girl to do??? A few accessories later...she was mine!
    Not sure how to post pics, but it is the 2011 Lexa SLX, 58, in the black/white/blue color, with a subtle flower patter in it. Love it, can't wait to get out and ride it!

w00t! Congratulations!

Congrats!

Yay! Congratulations!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...