Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    One other thing I forgot to ask. Do you use your own Ipod?
    The instructor should provide music and combine it with moves on the bike.

I've seen shorts, bike shorts and full kits. I will say that the full kits were overkill.

Gloves, I wear them because my hands get sweaty & I won't slip off of the bars.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

At my former gym, I'd say there were as many people wearing full kits as those wearing a combo of bike shorts and other tops.
    It depended on what class you went to. Some classes had more outdoor riders in them, especially the ones that were added in the winter, for "training," and were geared for cyclists. If I happened to go at 9:30 AM, well, it was the housewife crowd. But, most of them wore bike shorts.
    I couldn't sit on those seats in regular shorts.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

If I don't wear padded shorts I regret it. Every time. I didn't wear padded shorts one day last week and afterward I resolved to wear them from now on even if it means changing before/after class. I will continue to do so until they outfit spin bikes with Brooks saddles. ;-)

But yeah, bike shorts and a tank/cami (I get way too hot/sweaty for a cotton tshirt!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    The instructor should provide music and combine it with moves on the bike.

I've seen shorts, bike shorts and full kits. I will say that the full kits were overkill.

Gloves, I wear them because my hands get sweaty & I won't slip off of the bars.
    I have seen people bring their own players/headphones and do their own thing... rude I guess but sometimes the music sucks so bad....
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Wow.

I don't teach indoor cycling (and I'm *really* glad to have the bikes' long crankarms and my knees as an excuse not to), but there's a contingent of people who show up for my strength and step classes and don't pay attention. In that situation, it's "merely" rude and distracting to the other participants.

But in a spin class, where bikes are nearly always limited, it's more than rude to take a bike that someone else could be using and then not participate in the class. If I were the instructor in that situation, I'd speak to the person after class, and if they continued to do that I might even speak to my program coordinator.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Wow.

I don't teach indoor cycling (and I'm *really* glad to have the bikes' long crankarms and my knees as an excuse not to), but there's a contingent of people who show up for my strength and step classes and don't pay attention. In that situation, it's "merely" rude and distracting to the other participants.

But in a spin class, where bikes are nearly always limited, it's more than rude to take a bike that someone else could be using and then not participate in the class. If I were the instructor in that situation, I'd speak to the person after class, and if they continued to do that I might even speak to my program coordinator.
    I'll take somebody wearing headphones and quietly doing his or her own thing over people talking all through class. Now that's rude. When I used to go to spin classes, there was one group of friends who chatted with one another through the entire class. It was such a distraction.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I agree entirely. Especially in the winter there are always more people than there are spinning bikes, so if someone simply wants to do their own thing and not participate in class then they should choose to spin outside of class time. This is more than rude...in the cases where I've seen this happen (not often) they are quite obviously totally ignoring what the class is doing. Better they spin outside of class and allow someone else to have their bike who wants to be there.

I don't do spin classes - but just wanted to chime in on one thing:

Our gym takes the seatposts off the bikes when there isn't a class going on. We've asked, and you can't get one unless there is a class going on. So - no chance to spin at other times (sadly) - otherwise, I would love to do just that....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

When I was teaching aerobics, I had a woman who would come to my class, wear a Walkman (this was the '80's) and then proceed to sing loudly to the music that she was listening to. She also dressed kind of provocatively. None of the other instructors would say something, so, finally, after asking her to stop, which she didn't, I told my boss. She stopped. I've seen all kinds of rude.
    Some of the gyms around here take the older models of the spin bikes, or even just 2-3 and put them in the cardio/workout area, so people can use them when there is not a class. Personally, I just stay home and do the trainer if that's what I want; I only go to spin if I feel like being in a group.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I didn't mean about bringing my own Ipod to do my own thing, I just didn't what a class was like.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Personally, I just stay home and do the trainer if that's what I want; I only go to spin if I feel like being in a group.
    Sometimes I just need to not be in the house. If I'm in the house, I'll get distracted - cooking, cleaning, organizing.....maybe once I finish (if I ever finish) the purge I'm on, it will get easier....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I don't do spin classes - but just wanted to chime in on one thing:

Our gym takes the seatposts off the bikes when there isn't a class going on. We've asked, and you can't get one unless there is a class going on. So - no chance to spin at other times (sadly) - otherwise, I would love to do just that....
    I've inquired about this and it seems to be a liability issue (surprise). As for the save bike don't show people, our gym also has a five minute rule. No saving bikes.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Spin classes are ALL about the music ,in a way, choreographed somewhat to the rhythm and pace of the music. Hopefully, something you like. And almost always, played way too loud for my poor ears. Some instructors have ask you to do alot of standing out of the saddle, or do quick intervals (off-on-off-on the saddle in rapid succession) I just modify, the quick up-down stuff hurts my knees, and prolonged out of saddle "climbing" isn't my cup of tea either. Hope you like it! Did anyone mention bringing your water bottle? You will sweat alot. tokie

My club has a sign on the door that the spinning bikes are meant for class use with an instructor and that, while they can be used outside of class, it is the members responsibility if there is injury.

This is nice though, for it means that I can start spinning before class and generally get in an additional 30-45 minutes before class. The only ones who do this are those who ride outside and are just in for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'll take somebody wearing headphones and quietly doing his or her own thing over people talking all through class. Now that's rude. When I used to go to spin classes, there was one group of friends who chatted with one another through the entire class. It was such a distraction.
    As an instructor, I can not begin to tell you how angry that makes me!

For some different reasons, I just let go all of my class load except for one class (happens to give me gym access for free, so I need to keep it). In that class, I have a click of outdoor riders, with one person in particular that's the ring leader so to speak, that have got to be the rudest people on earth in regards to that. My boss there is pretty much all about her and of very little support. It's colder now, and I know they will be in. My heart is filled with dread. Ugh. I take very seriously what I do and try to conduct myself as a professional, BUT I have to tell you that I have never been so close to screaming "shut the f*** up!!!" (while wearing the mic, mind you) at someone in all my life!

*d e e p * b r e a t h*

OP...

Just finding this thread... looks like you have gotten lots of good advice.

One thing I do not see answered though is besides bike shorts you can bring your own gel saddle pad. Sporting good stores, and Walmart sells them for $10 &up. I carry an extra one in my gym bag for students.

The spin bike has adjustments to get many sizes of bodies comfortable but the frame size is unchanged... SO... that means for someone like me who takes a small frame size I'm rolled forward onto my pubic bone on the spin bike. Bike shorts chamois plus gel pad makes it fine for an hour class.
    Last edited by Miranda; 10-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.