Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Fall/ Winter 2011 Commuters

To disable ads, please log-in.

I noticed the daily commute thread has been quiet lately. I miss it. I remembered we had a special thread for fall/ winter last year, I thought that might help. Anyone out there?

Yesterday was our first sort of cold day. Probably right around 40F. A little rain here & there but so far it's only been mist when I've been on my bike. I got the balaclava and big gloves out. I haven't gotten my wool undershirt out yet, nor the long johns. That merino undershirt is SO warm. The jacket + rain jacket is warm enough so far.

This is the 7th winter since I started bicycling for transportation, and every year I have to figure out what clothes go with what temperature and conditions all over again. I remember someone (lph?) mentioned keeping a log and then it was a lot easier the next year. I ought to do that.

Also, every single winter I have to acclimatize to the cold again. We go from super hot humid 100F and plummet straight into frost and below freezing and beyond, and wind, with hardly any time in between. This has been an odd year in that we've had not only multiple days, but multiple WEEKS of lovely weather. I heard that our average temp is the same as the northwest coast--only that average temp is a rare beast for us. We only get to the same average temp because of our extremes.

So I'm huddling in front of the fire place at home, or swathed in jackets and hats in my office, and dreading setting foot out of doors. I go through that phase every winter. (Acclimatizing to the heat is nearly as bad. I go through June on the bring of heat injury, and it's only in the upper 80's.)
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I'm here! It's just been touching the freezing point a few mornings this week, and dang, that feels cold. On with the booties, and what hat did I wear at this temperature anyway? and oh lord, please tell me I don't need studded tires yet, and boy, it's gotten dark out there.

Pale solid toes by the time I get to work and way too much time spent in the shower turning it hotter and hotter. Must go up to the attic and pull out the winter boots. I really want new ones. Lake, but they cost a small fortune.

And I gotta find that neat little matrix I made of what to wear at what temperatures, and hang it up in the bathroom so that when I'm standing there bleary-eyed trying to get dressed I know what to put on. It really works for me. I hate being too hot almost more than being too cold.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I'm still here! It's only just barely cold enough for long sleeves, but I plan to ride all winter. Dec is usually the hard month because of shows, so I'm not in studio much, but other than that, I'll be on the bike as much as possible.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I've been commuting since March (changed jobs just so I could bike commute).

I intend to keep going. I've commuted through winter before, but I was so much younger then. My commute was only about 5 miles. My current commute takes a little over an hour each way. On the one hand, I'm riding long enough to warm up; on the other hand, will it grow to be too long once the snow hits and it gets really cold? Time will tell.

I like the idea of LPH's matrix. I already know what needs to go on there...extra socks and shorts if I ride in the rain. There is nothing worse than getting ready to ride back home in the rain and putting on wet socks. Wool or not....wet socks just drops the motivation.

My problem right now is that I'm in denial. I ride into work at 5AM. We've had a couple of nights near freezing and there is this stubborn thought in my head, "No, I won't wear tights. It isn't winter yet." Stupid. 36F and rain is not knickers weather!
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

I'm still commuting too. The weather has just started to get cold-ish still pretty nice though. I could do without the wind advisories lately. As of today the rain has been solid, fortunately I am off for the two rainiest days this week. I have been piling on the miles. Been averaging well over 100 miles a week. I always notice when it gets cooler I get soooooooo hungry! As some may remember I recently built up a new commuter bike and I love it so much! Sure makes my 40 mile round trip commute a whole lot nicer :-)

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm here and commuting. Like others, it's just started getting chilly in the morning. I've worn a light wool sweater under my light hi-viz jacket a couple times and it's been fine. I only have a 20 minute commute, so I've been doing it in my work clothes. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be in the 30's so I guess it's time to break out the winter gear. I hate having to change clothes at work, tho. I'd so much rather just ride to work in my work clothes- I'm lazy.

My goal is to commute all winter long. I may have to walk sometimes when the snow is too high or there is too much ice, but I don't want to drive. I hope I can stick with it (I'm a self-admitted winter weenie).

Keep it up, ladies!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Yep, still commuting. I only stop if it is raining, as I don't have fenders, or a shower at work to wash off the gutter muck.

This morning was very foggy and I got to work quite damp. Made it hard to see, between the fog and the water on my glasses. I love this time of year. I am not sweaty when I arrive at work, I am not roasting going home and it is not really cold either.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I'm on a little break from commuting while I wait for my immune system to deal with some respiratory issues, but I'll be back when my lungs and sinuses are happy again!

(I'm only guessing that they are unhappy because I assume that they do not like fluorescent green.)
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I commute at least once a week all year. Have done this for about a year and a half now!
    Rode today, it was 43 degrees and foggy in the morning and my glasses kept fogging up
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

After a horribly hot summer here in Texas we're just now hitting reasonably nice weather. (Only 89 degrees tomorrow!) I don't feel like a fall/winter commuter. That sounds hard. This is the easy time of year!

I'm always in awe of those of you who ride long distances through cold rain.

I'll be riding through fall and winter, which in January will be a full year of full-time commuting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

I commute every day so count me in for the fall/winter commuting thread.
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I commute at least once a week all year.
    This.
    Unless on travel, vacation, or the road out of my 'hood is impassible to bikes due to snow and ice.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I've been sick all summer (pneumonia then this then that...), but finally feeling better. I bought a velomobile to assist me in commuting all winter long.
    It is hovering around 40 here, and the sun comes up after 7 and down around 6 - this will extend to a sunrise around 8 am and sundown before 5.
    But, I'm ready willing and able - tomorrow I will commute in to work, so i can get a few days in before the stupid time change.
    Oh, how I wish that would be stopped, here in WA state its just stupid and doesn't do anything to help school kids.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Yet again this year, I've pulled out warm gloves and hats and the like and wished I'd done a better job of cleaning them before putting them away.

Our local weather forecasts have been off this week; twice now I've gotten soaked by rain that shouldn't have been falling. I don't mind drizzle, but downpours are something else entirely...