Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm still figuring clothing out too, it doesn't help that when I step outside it's COLD but I warm up so quickly when I'm biking.

We've only had an icy roads once or twice so far, Vancouver winters are usually mild. This is my first winter commute since I got my first bike in April, so I'm learning as I go.

I've never been bothered by public transit before, but now I would do ANYTHING to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Except for my toes, I'm keeping warm. Of course, I have a secret weapon -- hot flashes. Nothing like a well-timed hot flash to take away the wind chill. Now, if only I could learn to package all of the day's hot flashes and play them in my morning commute....
    You could sell them. I'd buy!

I didn't ride Monday because the newly fallen snow was slick. Yesterday I walked because I thought I'd be more comfortable. Today I didn't want to take the time to walk. Plus last night I went to a presentation "Beating the Biking Brrrr". I didn't think there would be much for me to learn there, I went because I'm part of the biking community here and I was partly responsible for the fact that the presentation happened (by which I mean, I suggested it and someone else did all the work to make it happen--nice!) It is true I didn't learn much, but I did feel inspired and less crazy for wanting to bike in the winter.

The "You must be crazy!" is fun at first but it does get old. It's so nice to talk to someone who understands. That's why I hang out on TE!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Arg. Winter just landed. Snow yesterday, not enormous amounts, but enough to need studded tires and to make it seriously crappy going where the snowplow hasn't been. It took me an hour today to ride 10 miles home. Bleah.

And it's now 17 to 19 F, which means 20 minutes getting dressed in the morning and unwilling gears. Sigh.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I haven't biked the last two days. Temps in low double digits, wind chill in single digits. Just too cold- even all bundled up. Gotta be careful of frostbite. Will ride again tomorrow since it's supposed to be in the 20's in the morning.

I hate when it's this cold and I don't ride and co-workers will say all sarcastically "soooooo... did you ride TODAY??" (knowing it's far too cold to ride). Makes me want to say something smart-alec-y- but I can't think of anything. I just say something to the effect that no, but I've biked every day the last 2 months. I wish I were better at sassing people.
    Tri you should say "No today I was taking it easy so I ran."

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Tri you should say "No today I was taking it easy so I ran."
    See? Now THAT'S clever!! Gonna have to use that one next time.

I did ride today, tho. And then I took the long way home and went an extra 15 miles. It was so beautiful this afternoon (40's and sunny with light wind). Gotta take advantage of those nice days outside when I can!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

We have had cold, foggy morning days, but they have been dry. Just have to watch the frost in the mornings. Continue to daily commute and am enjoying riding without the rain, since I know we will be getting that sometime.

Cold, sunny days are quite pretty, though.

Oh, for my first year of full time bike commuting I'll be able to get a bit over 3000 miles!

Stay warm and be safe everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

My commute is short, but can be very slick. yesterdays commute was riding on roads where it had rained all day and at 5:00Am it turned to snow. Although the snow didn't accumulate a whole lot, the roads didn't get plowed and it turned to ice quickly with tire tracks frozen in the mix. At any rate, it was nice to be out, although perhaps time to put on the studded tires.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Snow on the ground today, I wasn't sure how it would be for biking. I took it slow and easy, and I didn't have any problems. Sure wish I had snow tires or snow chains on that bicycle.

Temperatures are dropping here. Today I implemented the LPH Nose Buff (don't know what to call it, but I'm pretty sure it was on lph's avatar pic for quite some time). Worked really well (thanks lph!).

So I'm still holding and still riding to and from work. Looking forward to going for another week. One week at a time....
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Temperatures are dropping here. Today I implemented the LPH Nose Buff (don't know what to call it, but I'm pretty sure it was on lph's avatar pic for quite some time). Worked really well (thanks lph!).
    Ooo, you're making me proud!

I've already worn it once this winter, and it does work.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

18 degrees today for my 20 mile commute. It was pretty dang nippy. Tried out my new shoes, it was better but still I got darn cold toward the end :-(

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    18 degrees today for my 20 mile commute. It was pretty dang nippy. Tried out my new shoes, it was better but still I got darn cold toward the end :-(
    Awesome that you rode this morning, I wondered if you would. Did you try chemical warmers with the new shoes?

I've been biking this winter and so far so good. I have an old mountain bike, converted to a single speed, with a studded tire in front and a regular mountain bike tire in back. I've been biking from my house to Minneapolis, about 3.5 miles, then putting my bike on the bus and busing to St. Paul. It has been working pretty well.

But now it has rained and it is warm, so I'm going to look silly with my studded tire and balaclava tomorrow. I wish it would just snow and stick.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    For the second time in 2 commutes, I've had a cyclist/commuter come up behind me, pass me, and remark about how visible I was as we rode in the dark.

I think I take lighting to a ridiculous degree. I have a road worker's day-glow reflective vest on over my winter jacket. I have a headlight, a flashing light on the back - and front - of my helmet, a light on my rack, and a light hanging from my pannier. That's 3 tail lights and 2 headlights. I have reflective trim or tape on the pannier itself, on the rack, on the rear fender, and on various spots on the frame and wheels.

So a guy came up and passed me on the MUT tonight and said "Wow. No one can ever say they didn't see you!"
    "Good," I replied. "Then I know it's working, cuz that's my intent."
    I also know it's working when car after car crosses the double line to give me w-i-d-e berth when passing me on the road.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    So a guy came up and passed me on the MUT tonight and said "Wow. No one can ever say they didn't see you!"
    And if you were to get hit in spite of your excellent lights, the insurance company would be much more likely to cough up without a fight. If they did put up a fight, your lights would be a major point in your favor.

Sadly that is something we have to think about. That's another reason I stop at every single stop sign and light: to establish a pattern of behavior that can't be questioned. And signaling. Etc.

It was so warm today! It was in the 50's I think. There was a thunderstorm in the middle of the night. It was raining when I left. My overshoes, which never worked that well anyway, won't go over my new shoes. I tried grocery sacks. It worked fine on my left foot. The one on the right foot got caught in the gears.

I'll have to ask my husband to save a bread sack (I eat my own homemade bread, he sometimes eats store bought bread), to use on my right foot. That might work better.