Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind...

Wind...

To disable ads, please log-in.

At what point does wind become a problem when riding in the woods? Obviously being in the woods helps a great deal, but obviously when they get too high then there is a concern about trees falling over

I am just curious how others approach this, though I am likely over-thinking this

If winds are over 30 mph i'd stay out of the woods. especially after a soaking rain.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Wind alone won't keep me off the trails, but Mimi makes a good point about rain and how it can make roots unstable. Then again, if the trails are that soaked, I wouldn't be riding them.....

Actually, on a windy day, I'm more likely to MTB than go for a road ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Actually, on a windy day, I'm more likely to MTB than go for a road ride.
    Indeed, same here, and I won't ride the trails when they are closed. We have an online system here in Indiana where the trail conditions are tracked so I don't have to drive more than an hour to get to my favorite trails to find them unrideable.

The trails drain well and don't typically have to be closed for long in my favorite riding location. I just wonder sometimes about the trees that are not along the trails that are in less-well drained locations that could be blown down and land across the trails. It happens. All of that being said I am not overly concerned with it, just curious how others view this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    If winds are over 30 mph i'd stay out of the woods. especially after a soaking rain.
    That's about where I'm at with it. Usually the woods are a good shield, but if its been raining, the leaves are heavy and we have high winds--forget it! I've seen big branches come down and I've been pelted with little acorns. Not fun.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I was in the woods yesterday riding with a friend and her son. I had a lot of fun watching the wind-whipped tree tops There wasn't all that much wind that made it to the trail level but there was more than normal and it was fun. There doesn't seem to be any walnut trees on that particular trail or else they have already fallen - there have been strong winds for a few days.

I was riding slower than normal and hit a root at an angle while going slow...fell hard and fast. That will be a lesson I won't soon forget, snapped my neck and wrenched my back A bit stiff and sore today but I feel MUCH better this morning, still hitting the ibuprofen bottle.

The interesting thing is the soreness ISN'T on the side that hit the ground, but the opposite side. I wouldn't have thought that...

We have had a lot of trees falling due to the drought but no one I know has had one hit them or even been presnt. I have had some limbs fall. Usually I say around 30 mph, although I don't pay much attention to the winds before I leave for the trails.

Completely unrelated, one local guy was riding a trail that is an out and back. Passed one point, it was clear but when he returned a BOULDER had tumbled down. That would be scary!!!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Boulder! Yikes! We were hiking in Northern California once during the rainy season. And a section of trail along a steep ridge washed out while we were hiking! We had to do some dangerous scaling and climbing to get around that section on the way back. File this under things I would never consider now that I have children . . .

Another reason I don't like riding in high winds is the debris on the trail. A lot of little sticks and branches to fly up and break a derailleur.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

It's been a bumper year for black walnuts. They can be a danger to road riders even! The other day I was climbing a steep hill on the road, and a walnut fell just in front of me with a huge BANG. Seriously, it would probably have required a new helmet, and knocked me off the bike, if it'd hit me.

Then it just rolled .... all the way down that 18% grade.

We usually stock up on water at home when the wind comes up, in case a tree comes down across the electric lines. But I think the chances of being hit by a falling tree are pretty remote. It does happen ... even to people in cars sometimes. But it's not really something I'd worry about compared to all the other things that might happen.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    ....But it's not really something I'd worry about compared to all the other things that might happen.
    That was pretty much the conclusion I had reached, and the winds do dry off the trails if that is needed

Lime-Seriously, I saw the thing later, it was huge. One of the trails I am racing in a few weeks had a landslide of rocks, I am not happy about that part of the trail doesn't seem stable but hopefully I can fly through there!

I have been hit by acorns, I sometimes think the squirrels throw them. Luckily it is more just odd sounding on your helmet, doesn't hurt. Then again the ones you are describing aren't what we have here. We do have Burr Oaks at work and those acorns are pretty beefy, I think they would hurt.

Total threadjack - Yesterday we were riding and the biggest grasshoppers ever were on the attack! They were BIG and would latch on to your jersey, one hopped on my helmet, into your legs. It was insane, it is where my next race is I hope I don't have to deal with them attacking.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    ...Total threadjack - Yesterday we were riding and the biggest grasshoppers ever were on the attack! They were BIG and would latch on to your jersey, one hopped on my helmet, into your legs. It was insane, it is where my next race is I hope I don't have to deal with them attacking.
    Yikes, that would be creepy! At least they don't sting. On the trails this weekend it seemed that bees were attracted to our bare skin, legs mainly. Unsure what was up with that but at least they didn't sting!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yikes, that would be creepy! At least they don't sting. On the trails this weekend it seemed that bees were attracted to our bare skin, legs mainly. Unsure what was up with that but at least they didn't sting!
    I think I read somewhere bees late in the season get drunk stupid on fermented sugars and the like as flowers and trees start to wind down and go dormant... A bees eat as they continue to try and stockpile for winter.

Also, depending on overnight temps, the bees are lathargic due to the temps / changing weather patterns too. So won't make it to see another spring so the fall is like a last ditch effort for them.
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Bees are also attracted to perfume, I could see if you shaved that morning you might smell perfumey. Glad they didn't sting.

My husband was creeped out by the grasshoppers which was kind of comical because he is a guy! Who says boys are tough?
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Bees are also attracted to perfume
    Earlier this year we went for a slow walk in the park with my in-laws. I'd used a rose-scented moisturizer, and there was one honeybee that just would not leave me alone. She followed me for the whole lap! Never bothered me, but it was kind of weird.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler