Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

got the itch for a new bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been running around on two different bikes over the last year.
    I rode a 2009 Trek 7.5FX 17.5" as a daily rider until I deployed overseas last December. Had over 3,000 miles on it before I came over here. When I got over here to Bahrain, the roads are not suitable for this bike. Extremely dangerous and bumpy. Random sharp objects, missing bricks, sharp rocks, random holes dug in the middle of the street etc.... I packed my FX into a room at my flat and bought a Gary Fischer Advance 17.5" mountain bike to get around on. It was so heavy! Not a bad bike, and put about 2,000 miles on it. I sold that to a co-worker last week because I WAS supposed to be finishing my tour here in a few weeks.
    Well, I am extended over here until after the new year. I am still leaving Bahrain in a few weeks, but I am headed to Kuwait for a few months to finish off this extension. No riding at all up there

I took the FX out of the spare room and started riding it again to and from my work site and base just for transportation. My other co-worker sees my FX and says he wants to buy it from me. I am not opposed to parting with it. It is a great bike and fits me good. I just want to upgrade.

I am waiting on my transfer orders and suspect I am headed to the Pacific Northwest again or possibly the San Fran area.
    I am a daily bike commuter. I used to ride the FX to and from my work every day even in the snow when I was in Maine. I typically ride 100 miles a week.
    My goals are to do more long rides. Such as ride the Oregon Coast and eventually take a cross country trip.
    I am interested in getting into more long rides like the Seattle to Portland (STP), and Trek across Maine over the next year or two.

I am not into much mountain biking....even though I rode one here for it's durability. as a kid riding a bike, I only ever had one flat tire. I have had 7 flats in 4 months on this mountain bike because of the roads and bike path!

Looking at some suggestions. With my extended stay and relocation to Kuwait in a few weeks, I am going to be banking a few months pay just because I can't spend it on anything. Will be looking to treat myself when I get back to the US in February.

I have owned a few bikes in my lifetime.. most recently I have had these bikes... each had some good qualities for their use, but for one reason or another I parted ways with them.
    1993 Specialized... It was a free bike.... I destroyed it when I got run over on a sidewalk
    1996 Target special.... It was a Magma or something like that.. junker and heavy... gave away free when I joined up.
    2001 Specialized Enduro mountain bike (gave away after 9 years)
    2009 Trek 7.5FX (going to sell to coworker in two weeks)
    2010 Trek Gary Fischer Collection Advance (sold due to no longer needing it)

Looking for some advice on upgrades. Touring or a road bike? I am sort of leaning towards touring, but would like some others opinions.

I am 5'6" and 170 pounds.

As a steel is real fan and someone who is drawn to touring I suggest looking at the Surly Long Haul Trucker or consider a Rivendell. I ride a Rivendell as does the DH and we both love them. I also have a Rivendell Sam Hilborne frame I am hoping to build out as an "adventure bike" They are in Walnut Creek and have different bikes you can try out and will help you get the best bike for your riding style. If you don't want to invest that much to begin with, than look at Surly and Soma. There is a good surly bike owners forum you can check out as well!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Speaking as someone who did all my unsupported touring years ago on a lower-end "all purpose" bike (and would really like more versatility than the roadie I have now) ...

I don't think you need a heavy tourer unless you're planning unsupported rides of more than a couple of nights or planning to be TWO with a need for heavy cargo capacity. And I don't think you need a (small-S) specialized roadie unless you're planning to join fast group rides or races.

A metal frame with rack bosses and somewhat tighter geometry would be the way I'd go. Whenever I get around to building the commuter I've been talking about I'm eyeing a Surly Cross-Check frame or something along those lines, but with a triple and probably 105 or Ultegra componentry, and lighter wheels than what they put on their complete CCs.

A friend of mine who's around 70 years old is currently filing updates from a solo unsupported 1,000 mile ride across the Appalachians on the same bike he does the C/D club rides on - a steel Trashbar frame from the '80s with mostly Shimano 600 components of the same vintage. But he's a special case.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-14-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

+1 on Soma. They defintiely have lots of options. I did a self contained trip on a Double Cross, and it rode and handled extremely well! There's plenty of room for you to add fenders if you'd like.

I also want to say thanks for your service to our country! I know it's probably very difficult at times, but simply wanted to say "thanks!".

Lastly, as someone from Maine, I smiled when you mentioned commuting in the winter. People here think I'm crazy when I'm out there on a bike during that time of year;

Have a safe rest of your tour and fun looking for a new bike!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Lastly, as someone from Maine, I smiled when you mentioned commuting in the winter. People here think I'm crazy when I'm out there on a bike during that time of year;
    If I wasn't riding, I was walking it. The DD (Dunkin) was down the block from the house and a nice fresh cup of coffee on the way to work was necessary!

I was in Rockland for 2.5 years. Loved Maine.
    Look forward to trying out the Trek Across Maine in a year or two. Gotta find out what my next duty station is, and what the schedule will be like.

Bahrain is so flat! There is probably only 2 hills in this entire country! As someone who grew up in hill country on the west coast, I miss it!

Ahhhh Dunkin Donuts, although I'm not a coffee drinker, it certainly is hard for me to stay away from the donuts.

Just sent you a PM, didn't want to highjack your thread.
    Last edited by ridebikeme; 10-15-2011 at 05:44 AM.

I'm personally a big fan of steel frames and the smooth ride they offer. If you're considering a steel touring bike (light duty or otherwise), you might want have a look at the Jamis Aurora, Surly Long Haul Trucker or Surly Cross-Check.

(On a side note: my thanks and appreciation go out to you for the job you do to keep our country safe. Best Wishes for a safe tour of duty and return home.)

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Got my transfer to the puget sound of Washington, so definitely looking forward to the upcoming hills! and rain...

Congratulations! I bet you're excited to get back to bike friendly roads!

Also +1 for Soma from me. As an owner of one, I can tell you it's a great bike. I got the Double Cross DC for the disc brake option, since I wanted to ride in all weather. You can put a rack and fenders on it, something you'll probably need. They're lightweight for steel, compared to other brands. I bet you'll find the ride awesome.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.