Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How would you like to ride in this?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dust storm rolling in. 8000ft high, 75 mph winds.

Sorry, picture didn't come through on the first try. Here's one picture of the dust.
    Last edited by grouch2; 10-18-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: no words

Here's another picture of the dust rolling in...

That is one scary picture. I listened to the audiobook version of Timothy Egan's "The Worst Hard Time" last year---it was incredible. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/bo...w/25royte.html
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

And that is why I did not ride outside Monday night. Thank goodness for rollers. You could "taste" the air, it was so thick and chewy with dirt. I made it home from work just in time.

I saw that on TV and started thinking about my upcoming mountain bike marathon in Palo Duro Canyon. Eek!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Wow! That is scary. I hope everyone is safe -- breathing so much dust cannot be good (and you may want to change your air filters at home and even in your cars afterwards).

how would I like to ride in that? - heh, no thank you.

I've seen that kind of storm when I lived in Phoenix. Fascinating in a way. Bad on the lungs and other air filters.
    Beth

I was thinking of the same thing. changing the air filter in your car and in your house.

Breathing all that dust laiden air is bad too. I understand that you can get Silicosis, similar to black lung disease. The tiny dust/sand particles act as a sand paper in your lung and scars your lung.

Hummmmm... I think I'd take my car/bike indoors too as they fine dust and sand surely has to be abraisive and not so good on a paint job.... A la sand blasting.
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    timothy egan
    <3

By the way, our family had a ranch in NE New Mexico with just the tops of the apple trees sticking out of the ground by the end of the Dust Bowl.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 10-19-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.