Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Ireland

Ireland

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am looking to book a self guided biking tour of Western Ireland for September 2011. 30 miles a day planned, with additional loops in the afternoon. Probably 11-14 days. Any tips, ideas or experiences would be much appreciated. Everyone has told me "prepare for rain."

Thanks,

Sarah

No advice - but I'm jealous! Please write up a report....

I presume you mean 2012? Can't believe we're almost there...
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I was in Ireland in June 2010- but there was very little rain when I was there. It was not mainly for cycling, but I rented a bike in Dingle and rode around Slea Head on the Dingle peninsula, and borrowed a Dahon folding bike from my friends in Clare. There is a designated cycling route around West Clare- I saw a big display showing the routes when I went to Kilfenora. I also saw a group doing a climb across from Dingle back toward Kerry.

It was just a a bit unsettling for a while riding on the left side of the road, but I eventually got used to it.

It's a beautiful country, and I hope you will get to enjoy some of the incredible traditional music while you're there.

Where is your tour going to be?
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I took a ten day tour of Western Ireland in 2004 to celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary. It was only rainy one of the days and we had a few showers here and there. We always carried rain gear but rarely needed it. Our tour was in late June. We started from Ennis, and went to Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, the Burren, Aran Islands, Roundstone, Clifden, Connemara, Dun Aenghus, Kylemore Abbey (don't miss the gardens!), Cong, and Galway...not necessarily in that order!!! It is just a great place to cycle. Hope you have a wonderful time and report back about your trip!

Remember that they ride/drive on the opposite side of the road. Every day our guides AND my DH reminded me of that. It was easy to forget!

My friend and I booked a 7 day, self guided tour in Ireland this past July, through Cycling Safaris. It was AMAZING!!!! The tour company took care of every detail. I highly recommend them