Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

bike on trainer, tire debris?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have my road bike up on a trainer with a towel under the back tire to protect the carpet. I noticed today after I straightened the towel, that there's tire debris (I think) under the the back tire. Is this normal? I have a Cycle Ops trainer if that makes a difference.
    Beth

Yes, it's normal. My DH is the king of flinging tire bits 'round the room when he rides the trainer. It got so bad that I bought him a trainer-specific tire (one of the super-hard ones) to cut down on the noise and mess.

Clean the roller on the trainer

Anytime you have contact with with the tire you have friction, friction equals tire wear.

Trainer specific tires are a high durometer rubber compound, which means they aren't at all for grip on the road but resist friction (disperse the heat, etc). You can use old road tires.

Clean the roller of the trainer with rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner to reduce friction. That black line on the roller is rubber from your tire, which in turn peels the rubber of your tire.....

A trainer will wear down your tires. If you're riding often, it's best to save old tires or to buy a cycling-specific training tire that's made from a hard rubber compound.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Abarnes View Post
    Anytime you have contact with with the tire you have friction, friction equals tire wear.

Trainer specific tires are a high durometer rubber compound, which means they aren't at all for grip on the road but resist friction (disperse the heat, etc). You can use old road tires.

Clean the roller of the trainer with rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner to reduce friction. That black line on the roller is rubber from your tire, which in turn peels the rubber of your tire.....
    i think this is the best explanation. it does make sense actually.