Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Progress :)

Progress :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

This weekend I expanded my trail horizons at my favorite park. I was, however, humbled to note that my fear of the edge returned because I was on a trail I hadn't ridden before. It is, however, understandable because it is a "different" edge with a different trail width/angle. That is one thing I like about mountain biking, it is quite the humbling experience as well as being loads of fun

It is also true that I tend to be less aggressive when I am riding solo, and that probably isn't a bad thing considering my experience level. Someone always knows where I am riding and when I start/finish, but that isn't quite the same as having someone actually there to watch me fall off the side of the hill or bounce off that rock in an unexpected direction. Not that my bike bounces of course. I HAVE gone off the edge a couple of times, but no damage to me or bike. We don't slide far when this happens

I had fun riding/walking the new trail on Friday. It is also considered a beginners trail, but it differs so much from the other trails I ride. There is a series of steep little uphill bits with big roots, and I am still working out the whole momentum/shifting combination to help me deal with that.

I also had no idea just how much blood tree bark can draw

So glad to hear you are still having fun on the trails and making good progress. I agree that edges are scary! Solo or not...
    --Nick
    2012 Santa Cruz Juliana R xc (blue)
    Vintage Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 24 speed (red)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So glad to hear you are still having fun on the trails and making good progress. I agree that edges are scary! Solo or not...
    It does seem, however, that as I grow accustomed to the specific trail that I get to a point where I can focus so much on the trail that I no longer notice the edge...which is pretty darn cool!

Now, about that vampire tree bark, I suppose wearing garlic wouldn't help?

Hummmmm... Bark.. At first me thought Catrin had another run-in with the four legged variety

What was the offender? Ash, Oak, Elm? What goes on the Catrin do not call list now??

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Wrong time of year, but sometimes the trees are so sappy that the wounds are self-sealing!

Glad you're having fun out there

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    Hummmmm... Bark.. At first me thought Catrin had another run-in with the four legged variety

What was the offender? Ash, Oak, Elm? What goes on the Catrin do not call list now??

Shannon
    I've no idea what kind of tree it was, but I didn't realize just how abrasive tree bark can be! I didn't hit the ground though so I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Wrong time of year, but sometimes the trees are so sappy that the wounds are self-sealing!

Glad you're having fun out there
    Really? I didn't know that, wish it was this time of the year so I could have saved all of that blood I didn't realize how much it was bleeding until I was on my way again so I just waited until the end of the trail where there is a place to rest with a picnic table before I dealt with it. There were 5 or 6 other mountain bikers there, they saw the blood and came over. One of them happened to be a doctor and had a huge band-aid with him, it got me back through the trail to my car

I should note that I do have a first-aid kit with me, I just never dreamed I would need band-aids of that size or that they were even available! Smaller ones wouldn't have worked because of the nature/number/spacing of the wounds.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-11-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: clarification

Catrin, you should be proud of yourself. Reading your posts make me sorry I sold my mountain bike! I am such a wuss. Really, you should be congratulated for facing your fears.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Catrin, you should be proud of yourself. Reading your posts make me sorry I sold my mountain bike! I am such a wuss. Really, you should be congratulated for facing your fears.
    You could always replace it I also do not believe you are a wuss!

I love riding in the woods/trails and seeing the changing face of nature. I love seeing the different birds and other animals - which is a good excuse to stop the bike from time to time and look around I love the friendliness of mountain bikers, and being able to help out with the maintenance of the very trails I ride. I love the rush that comes from facing my fears and finding me and my bike doing things that 2 short years ago I would never have dreamed I would be doing on the eve of my 52nd birthday.

I also love that my beloved mountain goat is apparently un-breakable - I've lost count of the number of times we have crashed/fallen over and we are both still ticking along just fine