Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

beginner riding groups in soCal?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since I'm brand new to cycling, I know I'll be spending a lot of time on my own working on my speed and such but I wish there was a group I could ride with at my level...seems safer that way, too. Tried looking at LBS, meetup...most of the groups are pretty experienced (18mph+). I'm more at...12? lol. Anyone know of any good groups out there? thanks!

Welcome, happysurfer! Don't know if you are anywhere near the South Bay, but the PV Bike Chicks is a pretty cool group and they've been having rides at all levels. I just did a nice mellow ride with them yesterday, averaged somewhere around 12 mph.

The best way to get in touch with them is to contact PV Bicycle Center (http://pvbike.com/) and have them put you on the mailing list. There's a facebook page for them too.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

thanks for the link! I'll check them out! I'm not too far from the south bay. Seems I have to drive 30 minutes to get somewhere bike friendly anyways.
    btw- Noticed you have a Ruby! I just picked up a Ruby comp this past friday!

Hooray! I'm sure you will get many fun miles out of your Ruby. I love mine
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Hey happysurfer! Any luck with beginner groups? I'm new too and looking for the same. I live in Torrance, so I'll definitely check out PV Bike Chicks.

Hi...Besides the PV Bike Chics, I found a few groups on meetup that have beginner rides every once in a while but I haven't had the time to go to any of the rides. I also joined the Bicycle Club of Irvine (they have a newbie clinic) but haven't been able to join them either. For now, I've just been going on the Bike Trails to seal beach on my own and have been working on riding clipless, speed, distance, etc. There's no hill work and the view can be a bit boring until you get to your destination! Good luck finding a group..maybe we'll end up on the same ride one of these days!

Smile Riding in Southern California

There are lots of great trails in Southern California and I am a fan of the trails because you don't have to worry about traffic. Irvine has a wealth of trails; just too many to describe. There is also the wonderful beach trails from Huntington Beach to Long Beach. There are lot of great views. Others to try are the various river trails (Santa Ana, San Gabriel, and LA River). In San Diego, the Mission park is great for beginners. If you are up for a challenge, ride up Torrey Pine; the views are amazing and while it isn't a trail, the traffic is slow. I also like the ride in Coronado although getting there from San Diego (without the ferry) puts you into some scarey neighborhoods including the docks with a lot of traffic. Enjoy the rides.