Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I'm not that new to cycling anymore and I STILL think the outfits are not a good look. Sure, functional, but I personally think that it is not flattering on any body type. My husband is a very fit, 6' 180 lb man who looks great in just about anything he wears but I think he looks ridiculous in spandex. And me? OMG my BUTT IS PADDED. How is that attractive!? I never wear cycling clothes anywhere but ON the bike, I think they look so silly. And this has nothing to do with body image, weight, or size.... the spandex with padded butt is just not a good look to me.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

Speaking for myself and no one else, it wasn't the OP that I found offensive.

But whatev'.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Speaking for myself and no one else, it wasn't the OP that I found offensive.

But whatev'.
    I agree. And I truly apologize if anyone was offended by what I wrote or thought that I was being judgmental. I was just trying to offer my own perspective - which I freely admit is my issue. I ride, I will keep riding. And for the most part, I won't care what others think. Maybe the comments got me at a bad time - some of the ones that bugged me I *know* were not intended to be offensive.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

If I was going to choose a sport based on the uniform, I'd choose baseball. Who doesn't look good in jammies? And so comfy.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    If I was going to choose a sport based on the uniform, I'd choose baseball. Who doesn't look good in jammies? And so comfy.
    Hahaha Hmm...I'm going to have to think on what I'd prefer...

To be honest I always wanted to figure skate just so I could wear the costumes! It was the secret princess-fantasy that I always hid.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Ha!
    I was a figure skater in elementary school and now, when I look at pictures of some of my "costumes," I wonder how much my parents spent on that? I loved my outfits then as much as I love my cycling, running, and snow sports gear now.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I suppose this one has been so viral already that no one thought we needed to link to it on TE, but this thread is a good place for (Ann Arbor) Pinckney High School's homecoming queen:

Bike clothes do look funny. Loud colored jerseys and spandex would make anyone laugh and look twice. I look at myself and wonder if anyone that passes me on the road is laughing really hard at mine. Then I see others cycling down the highway to Lincoln and think about how cool they look on their bike. I aso wonder how they got to be in the middle of nowhere on the highway 50 miles out from Lincoln and hope they can get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Bike clothes do look funny. Loud colored jerseys and spandex would make anyone laugh and look twice. I look at myself and wonder if anyone that passes me on the road is laughing really hard at mine. Then I see others cycling down the highway to Lincoln and think about how cool they look on their bike. I aso wonder how they got to be in the middle of nowhere on the highway 50 miles out from Lincoln and hope they can get back.
    I've been wearing bike duds so long now they seem normal to me. HOWEVER, sometimes we'll go to a little market in some tiny town far far from home in our bike duds (because we RODE there) and I can see how the people in the little store look at us... and I can see we look kinda fruity to them.
    but then my DH starts talking about how many miles he's ridden this month and then I see expressions change.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I get what the OP is saying. I used to think that professional bike racers looked completely bizarre. Lean and athletic and hot as can be, but dressed in the most eye-jarring, garish, weird gear, and then these cute little matching gloves and shoe covers... And this is coming from someone who has worked as a jockey.

I still think racers look a little strange, but I no longer think they look like aliens. The look grows on you.
    As for flattering - I agree there are clothes out there that are more flattering, to almost every body type. But like most of you, on the bike I just don't care, neither for my sake or for others. The bike itself is so flattering
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I tell you what, the hi-viz yellow jersey attracts a whole lot more eyes than the padded black shorts.

Great on the road. Not so much in the grocery store.