Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

24 Hour Bike/Camp Trip

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally got away for a mini-tour! My first solo tour ride (inspired by others on this site). I used my Surly LHT and my B.O.B. trailer. Rode my bike to catch the ferry to Port Townsend (WA). Very busy since the Annual Wooden Boat Festival was in full swing. I rode to Old Fort Townsend State Park (Fort Flagler was full) and snagged a biker/hiker site. Set up my tent, unhooked the trailer and rode into Pt. Townsend to eat a late lunch/early dinner and check out the sites. I had a great meal and met/chatted with some folks throughout the day (lots of recent retirees that were on the road and drifting from place to place). Also, met a young scottsman riding the Pacific Coast. We rode a few miles together. I'm following his blog and he is doing great! I had a great evening and was up early the next day to catch the ferry back to Whidbey Island and home. Out and back within 24 hours!
    Key Learnings: You don't have to ride far from home to feel like you have gotten away. I met and talked to people I would not typically get to meet. I loved it and have plans to do more bike/camping next year. Gives you a taste of touring even if you don't have the vacation time to get away. I highly recommend it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1420.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	13792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1432.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	13793  
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Yay!!! Sounds like the perfect overnight adventure! Love the pictures- just so pretty up there in the PNW. Everything has been dead/dying here for months so it's nice to see such lush greenery. Sounds like you had a great time, enjoyed a little R&R, met some interesting people and got the chance to get away- even if only for a day.

Congrats on your overnight!
    I am planning on one next weekend. Can't wait!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Good for you!

Isn't it fun to do those? Glad you had a good time.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Totally love the SUB 24 mini-tour. We camped at that same park in August on our tour. The MUP sure makes it nice for getting back and forth into Pt Townsend. Did you ride up and over the super steep hill in the middle of town? We tried Fort Worden and had a very scary experience in the hiker biker area. Love the area though and can't wait to ride there again.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I've ridden through Ft. Worden, but haven't camped there. It is a nice spot. Too bad you had a bad experience. I enjoyed Ft. Townsend and the Larry Scott Memorial Trail is a nice ride back to Pt. Townsend. Today I caught the Pt. Tpwnsend ferry again and rode to Ft. Flagler. It is very similar to Ft. Worden. I'll try a 24 hour there next year. Love Marrowstone Island (make sure to stop at the Nordland General Store). I'm sure I've ridden the hill you mention as I like to do day rides in the Pt. Townsend area. Let me know the next time you ride in the area (or ride on Whidbey Island).

Cheers!
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck