Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Side visibility - riding in the dark

To disable ads, please log-in.

To those who ride in the dark, what do you do about side visibility? My taillight provides some, but not so the headlight. I wear reflective ankle bands, but that won't cut it if a source of light doesn't hit them.

I was considering clipping one of these to each ankle (or possibly wear the bands on my arms, instead):
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodFS_360PRO.html
    or these ones:
    http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=Firefly#12

Any suggestions, thoughts? I don't like the fact that I'll look like a X-mas tree, but, at least I will be a safer X-mas tree than a less than visible cyclist.

I use a green Fiber Flare on my commuter's downtube and lots of reflective tape on the wheels and crank arms.

I use the Firefly on my ankles. It is hard for me to turn on and off, but very bright and the batteries are lasting quite well. I'm thinking of also outfitting my arms for turn signals.

I also have equipped my wheels with Lightweights Reflectors. But one thing I've noticed now that I'm riding regularly in the dark is how reflective material is not that good from a distance. Walkers and bikes with bright lights can be seen 1/4 mile or more down the road, but reflective only people not until I'm nearly upon them.
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

I have been noticing the same about reflectors (hence the question). It's nearly impossible to see joggers. And I have seen people on bikes without lights or reflectors. That is just crazy.

I have Monkey Lights, and a Downlow glow

2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Thank you gals! Some excellent suggestions.

I have a Bontrager Ion 2 headlight, which is super bright for the price ($40), and it is visible from the sides.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I put tires with reflective sidewalls on both my bikes. Not only do they seem to really catch whatever light is available and send it back, but the fact that they outline the tires also signals "bike" to whomever is on the side of me. Whatever else you do, they can't hurt.

Sorry, I don't remember what make, etc., the tires are, I just told the LBS what I wanted (reflection, wider than what I had on at the time, and good all-round commuter) and they sold me tires I like.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I put reflective tires on the bike I used to commute (I since decided to walk instead... burns more calories for the distance, and I don't have to deal with locking and unlocking). Mine are Schwalbe and I had to special order in my LBS.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm riding my road bike, for exercise. And I have yet to see how far into the colder days I can ride. So far, it has been great fun.

I put some reflective stickers on the spokes of my brevet bike's wheels. It has a similar effect to the Monkey Lights, above, but no weight or technology - and you can't even see they're there during the day.

These are what I got:

http://www.rei.com/product/808967/li...:referralID=NA
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    I put tires with reflective sidewalls on both my bikes. Not only do they seem to really catch whatever light is available and send it back, but the fact that they outline the tires also signals "bike" to whomever is on the side of me. Whatever else you do, they can't hurt.
    And if people aren't smart enough to think "bike" maybe they'll think UFO and at least slow downs.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.