Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prohibition on PBS....

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you can catch it watch it! It was on last night and I am sure will repeat. Very historic and informative. The legal age to have sex was once 10 years old!!!!!!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

I think there are three episodes, we've got at least the first one in the TiVo but haven't watched it yet!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It is very interesting and the film and photo footage is amazing! It is so cool to see all this old footage. And learning about how strong women felt about how awful alcohol was and and and. There is a lot of stuff I had no idea about. Plan to dvr the other one's for sure.

I heard tonight's episode would discuss rumrunning on Long Island. So proud my homeland is famous for that.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just stumbled across it and I guess there is another one on next? Or maybe the beginning of this one. This is the kind of PBS programming I love!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I haven't been able to watch it straight through, but it is very fascinating. I didn't realize the extent of the corruption and political slime. I knew that alcoholic beverages were around for thousands of years, but didn't realize the impact that the invention of distilled spirits had. Other surprises to me were the huge amount of alcohol that was being consumed before Prohibition, and the number of loopholes in the original legislation.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I am trying to remember my source..but I remember reading that it was a political decision in our country to make private/small breweries illegal when the Scot/Irish started emigrating to our country. Apparently, if the source was correct, a good number of them had brewing experience and could have started small breweries here. The reason appeared to to protect the existing breweries, one politician made the accusation that this was the best way to assure poverty among the new residents in the southeast US. It was a quite interesting read, and I wish I could remember the source as it has been some time.

My mother's family is of good Scot/Irish descent from Tennessee, and we had our fair share of moonshiners before and during Prohibition.

Our family was of German decent and they said at one point not only did they not allow German text books in schools but they allowed stoning of dachshunds! How crazy is that! I am in awww of how out of control it was. The drinking part that is. I know that it is still a problem but why was it so bad back then? It is not like they can cut you off now. And times are hard for people now! Not as bad as back then, at least all children can go to school now, women have the same right's as men now (more or less) but the poverty is still bad. I know I see it first hand with all my travels. So why was it so bad? Is it more in the closet now? PBS rocks!

We started watching last night and have the rest Tivo'd. It is fascinating but Ken Burns has a great way of making history come to life and leave you riveted. We found ourselves going "huh" and "wow, really?" frequently last night learning all sorts of things we had no idea about. And I was almost a history major.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

They got most of their Anti-Saloon league photos and information from right here in my home town. We were positively giddy when Ken Burns came to town!!
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
    They got most of their Anti-Saloon league photos and information from right here in my home town. We were positively giddy when Ken Burns came to town!!
    What town? How cool was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Norsegoddess View Post
    We started watching last night and have the rest Tivo'd. It is fascinating but Ken Burns has a great way of making history come to life and leave you riveted. We found ourselves going "huh" and "wow, really?" frequently last night learning all sorts of things we had no idea about. And I was almost a history major.
    Exactly! I thought i knew about it, not even close!

I'll have to try and catch this. My mother's father put food on the table smuggling booze across the border to the states during Prohibition. When we were kids and asked Mum what he's profession was, she usually just said "rum runner".
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

+1 - and I don't watch a lot of TV. The mom of my dog says that in NC there are still people brewing their own in stills.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    What town? How cool was that?
    Good old Westerville, Ohio which was the headquarters for the ASL. We even got a post office before we were even considered a village because of the amount of mail sent to and from. Unfortunately we were only mentioned once...ONCE in the entire program and even then all they said was that their propaganda was printed in Westerville. Bummer.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite