Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Short notice cancellation by WTC

To disable ads, please log-in.

After reading this, I am going to sit down with my coach and redo my race calendar next to exclude any WTC races. It's about time that this corporation that depends on athletes for its sustenance starts treating them with respect. There is NOTHING respectful about this kind of behaviour.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/w...-days-out.html

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That does not surprise me at all. They are strictly about dollar signs and nothing else. Totally unacceptable behavior.
    I have never raced a WTC race, and never will. Period. I've felt this way about them for years now. Such a shame, too, because if you ever plan on making it to Kona- they are the only game in town. Glad I don't have to worry about that.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Wow, that just sucks, big-time. I can't imagine training for an event and planning travel and then four weeks out having them cancel it. Rude!

You know what, though? People already hate them, and besides the M-dot, what do they really have that's so special? I'm seeing more Iron/Long Course distance races popping up without WTC ~ Vineman, anyone?

Here's to competition.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Come on over the the Rev3 side!!!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tangentgirl View Post
    ~ Vineman, anyone?
    I've done Barb's Race four year's in a row now. It's run the same day as the full Vineman - we just do half as many loops for everything. The support for this race is awesome. The volunteers do so much - Otter Pops at the run turn around this year . A couple of years were REALLY hot - 95 on the run and people living on the course were out there with their hoses.

It's well organized and a beautiful course. If I ever decide (probably NOT!) to do a full IM this would certainly be the one I would choose.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I think this move will have a lot of athletes consider other (well-run) races both locally and internationally. I feel for the athletes that may have already registered for their races for next year. You never know. Can you imagine if it was your "A" race that was cancelled, the one you struggled to train for all winter, the race that kept you motivated?

It's a total pain for me as WTC bought one of Southern Ontario race series last year. The one I like to race in. I guess I'll be moving to the other series.They (WTC/Subaru series) are planning a 5150 on July 22 in Toronto. The car drivers haven't started complaining yet - that will come.

Quote Originally Posted by spindizzy View Post
    They (WTC/Subaru series) are planning a 5150 on July 22 in Toronto. The car drivers haven't started complaining yet - that will come.
    Hmm. I know a few Subaru owners. I'm a potential owner, myself, if I ever break down and decide to get a new car. Verrrrrry interesting.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That's the problem, tho. WTC is buying up the small, independent races and making them branded. Again... ugh....
    You don't get much more at at WTC race than at any smaller race- and usually the volunteers and atmosphere is MUCH nicer (and better swag) at the smaller races. But again, I have this thing against WTC- not sure what it is and where it stemmed from. It's kinda like the inner disgust I have for Wal-Mart and other mega-companies I guess. I'm all about supporting the "little guy."
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by tangentgirl View Post
    Hmm. I know a few Subaru owners. I'm a potential owner, myself, if I ever break down and decide to get a new car. Verrrrrry interesting.
    Don't get me wrong. Subaru has been a huge, ongoing supporter of triathlon in Canada; I certainly will consider them for my next purchase. I think WTC was looking to make inroads into the well-established triathlon community in Southern Ontario. Thus the name "World Endurance Canada" which is the Ontario arm of the WTC. Subaru still remains a sponsor for the Subaru Series.

Personally, I would not travel to an Olympic (5150) distance event. I can get my races close to home. But I feel for those that have this distance as their specialty and plan their season accordingly. I predict that the WTC support of this distance will falter. Perhaps that is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kacie tri-ing View Post
    Come on over the the Rev3 side!!!
    I think that this move will propel a lot of people to consider the Rev3 series. Hurray for alternatives!