Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ironman Florida Already!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Holy crap ladies, there's an Ironman tomorrow.

If you were following IMCdA, my company was acquired July 1, and I was involved in a lot of the process, which consumed more of my training time than I wanted. I had an acceptable but not stellar race, on what could have been a stellar day. My potential is high! Then... after that, I started traveling to the home base in Austin, TX more, helping my team be part of a bigger team, and the week after Ironman my husband was sent packing with 3 months severance and started looking for a new job... now I find myself in Austin at least half of my time. I also was knocked over by a car pushing forward to an illegal right turn on red into my bike and hit the ground about 4 weeks ago, making my IT band, hip, back, and shoulders sore for 1-2 prime training weeks. Insert lots of other excuses about why training has been hard - life had to come first. Summary: the only reason I'm here right now is that Florida is FLAT!

I know it won't be an awesome race, but I just want to overcome obstacles, and I am really, really, REALLY, stubborn in this regard.

Challenges:
    * Not as many 4+ hour rides/runs or 6+ hour bricks/back to back days as I'd have liked
    * Bare minimum mid-week training
    * Have never raced in saltwater (though I've raced in whitecapping lakes)
    * Haven't got many distance swims in

Goals:
    * To stay confident and relax on the swim
    * To finish (I can't say "in the daylight" because the sun sets at 6pm)
    * To at least reach my Ironman Coeur d'Alene time from this year (recognizing that's a hilly race, I should beat it)
    * To have fun and enjoy Ironman with no expectations, just a good, solid race

My # is 212, you can track me at ironmanlive.com tomorrow as always. The race is Central Time.

I think of you ladies often, even if I don't visit - I plan to start changing that now that things are easing back up for me in many ways.

Off to check out the water...

PS: Still debating sleeveless vs. sleeved. Water is between 70 and 72, which is appropriate for sleeveless, but it's a long distance. My sleeveless wetsuit fits better, but sleeves are warm and buoyant.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Go Colby! Have fun, oh dogged one!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

So glad to hear from you. I've been worried since your tweet yesterday about missing your flight!

Have an awesome day!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    PS: Still debating sleeveless vs. sleeved. Water is between 70 and 72, which is appropriate for sleeveless, but it's a long distance. My sleeveless wetsuit fits better, but sleeves are warm and buoyant.
    I think I'm going sleeveless. After being in the water more, I think it's way too warm for sleeved. I wear a sleeved suit when it's 50s-60s and am comfortable, but over 70? I think too warm.

Go Colby!! We'll be pulling for you
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Good luck Colby!

Florida is flat, but it's also HUMID. Watch your hydration carefully.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Good luck Colby!

Florida is flat, but it's also HUMID. Watch your hydration carefully.
    Yeah, it's around 50% (more before sunrise/after sunset), and I'm more used to 10 or 20%. Thankfully, it's nice and cool, with temps in the 60s. I am taking nuun tablets on the bike along with straight up water.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Gonna race it honey badger style - BRING IT ON, honey badger don't care! Honey badger's gonna race an Ironman! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg)

Honey badgers rule.

Have a great one!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

She's out of the water! Go, Colby, go!!

Holy cow, Colby! I've volunteering in the T1 changing tent and could've been watching for you!! That's what I get for not keeping up with the forum the last few weeks. There is a group of us down here and DH is signing up to do it next year. I have your bib number and will be watching for you to cheer you on! You go girl!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Looks like the rocked the bike course, and is doing great on the run!

Finished in 15:30:06!

Way to go Colby. Once again, you are iron!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yay, Colby!! I just saw the results too. Congratulations!!!