Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pika View Post
    Yae! I think you will love IMC. Although I am very happy we did not sign up again this year- I am feeling a twinge of regret as I don't have a new goal this year- I am soo happy to read about your adventure!
    We will be there cheering of course so as the time draws near you will ahve to post your race number etc!
    Happy training
    Pika - Do you have a recommendation on booking accommodations? I'll probably go for a full week or longer. Was thinking that a condo would be a good idea, because I'd like to be able to prepare my own meals, especially before the event. And, I want something close by. Suggestions?
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

http://susanotcenas.blogspot.com/201...ys-101112.html

"Note to self: 3 beers and 5 hours sleep on a Sunday night is NOT conducive to a successful class on a Monday morning."

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

re: Accommodations

Ahh- I was going to ask what you were doing.
    I think it is a huge rip-off - they way they have managed this.
    Basically a company (I'll have to get the exact name once I am home) has all the accomodation in their pocket- so you have to book thru them. The prices are definitely jacked up for that week. There are many motels that have kitchenettes- the closer to the venue the more expensive of course.
    Once I get home I will give you the name of the company but also the place my sister stayed- it was a Mom and Pop motel- nothing fancy but had a kitchenette and I know they were not part of the other company so their prices were more reasonable.
    Again- once I am home I will check the names for you- you do want to book anytime now as closer there may not be much left- typically accomodation right in Penticton are sold out.
    The cure for anything is salt water;
    sweat, tears or the sea

Isak Dinesen

Ironman Training Day 13: Peanut Butter!

http://susanotcenas.blogspot.com/201...ut-butter.html
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

BTW - if you are on facebook, you can subscribe to my feed there instead of checking in here. My Ironman-relates updates will be public, though the rest of my profile will remain private.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I just asked my triathlon coach, who has done it a bunch of times, if she had any recs, and here's what she said:

Actually, no, tell her get working on it... lodging can be very difficult to find. Right now I also have clients looking at they have had a hard time finding anything nearby/in town. Most places require a 5 night minimum and are quite $, although it is VERY nice to stay in town vs 30-40 minutes away or further in a nearby location. She may be able to secure something in a nearby town and continue looking later this Spring. While it's nice to have things nailed down, it does seem some things come open later on as athletes either change their minds or modify race schedules. As well, many of the residents "rent" out their homes for the week and it seems that they don't always post these until they have made their formal vacation plans. I would tell her to post/check craigslist and/or slowtwitch to see what she can find.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Good on ya! You can totally do it.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    BTW - if you are on facebook, you can subscribe to my feed there instead of checking in here. My Ironman-relates updates will be public, though the rest of my profile will remain private.

Susan
    Thanks for letting us know! I subscribed.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Susan,
    Good Luck! I am also in for my first IM next year too - Lake Placid.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by sgf726 View Post
    Susan,
    Good Luck! I am also in for my first IM next year too - Lake Placid.

Sharon
    Thanks! My elder sister had done Lake Placid. Such a pretty part of the state (we were born and raised in NY.)

You should start a Lake Placid training thread! Would be fun to compare experiences.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Ironman Training Day 14: Cramping

http://susanotcenas.blogspot.com/201...-cramping.html
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Re: accomodation for IMC
    This is the place we stayed this year- along the finishing mile- you can walk to the start - they had a 7 night min stay
    email:
    Rochesterresort@shaw.ca
    in 2010 we stayed at
    Valley Star Motel ( wahine had also stayed here - it is on Skaha Lake road- so near the bike/run route but not that near the start ( you have to drive). They had a 5 night min. stay
    My sister stayed at the Ogopogo Motel ( I think) and they didn't have a minimum stay- it is at the far end of the finishing mile ( more like 1.5miles to the start) Just far enough that with gear you may want to drive.
    Hope that helps! and as someone already mentioned it would be a good idea to nail something down sooner rather than later.
    Tam
    The cure for anything is salt water;
    sweat, tears or the sea

Isak Dinesen

A few years back we stayed at a b&b in Summerland (maybe 20 minute drive away?), and we could have used the kitchen there if we wanted, so it's worth looking around. Also look at Craigslist (or even VRBO??), you may find a private condo to rent.

Note that on both sides of the lake there are rather steep hills, so in our case getting back after a ride meant finishing on a notable effort. You could always park a car at a lower altitude though (less practical). All this to say that if you rent outside of Penticton itself, make sure you look at altitude data to avoid getting a surprise.

It was a nice ride into town to watch the start of the race. I am not certain about parking anymore but I'm pretty sure you could have someone drop off your things, too.

Thanks! My elder sister had done Lake Placid. Such a pretty part of the state (we were born and raised in NY.)

You should start a Lake Placid training thread! Would be fun to compare experiences.

Susan
    Love the LP area, volunteered on the run course this year and have done some hiking in the ADKs.

Good idea on the training thread - probably close to the beginning of the year.

Susan
    Hey..I was born and raised in NY too!! What part of NY are you from?

Keep up the great work with all of your training.