Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got shot at

Got shot at

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I went out for a xc ride yesterday afternoon. About 6 miles into our ride we hear pow pow pow! That is not the first time I've heard rifles when out on a bike ride, but this was different in that the shots seemed to be fired from much closer range. It gave me the heebie-jeebies. And then immediately I heard another round pow pow pow but this time it was followed by a thud as one of the bullets crashed into a tree right near my head. I nearly emptied my bladder!

What does one do when they are being shot at? I took off at unhuman speeds on my mountain bike. DH took the smarter route and started yelling. We heard no more pows after DH let loose on these guys.

Both of us were wearing high-vis cycling clothing. We also saw at least a half dozen other bikers out on the trail before and after us, not sure if we were the only ones that got shot at though.

I ended up having one of my best rides ever. The adrenaline rush pushed me to ride hard and fast. I even gapped DH a few times, a first for me.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Oh my goodness! did you call the police? I was in the line of hunter fire when riding my road bike in college. I was riding on a road and the hunters were shooting at doves that were on the electric wires above me. I rode straight to the police and they said that hunters could not shoot at roads. Whatever. They did!

There's no way I would mountain bike during hunting season around here. Hunters are everywhere outside the state parks. Find out when various season are and don't go out on the trails. It's not worth the risk. If you must, wear hunters orange, NOT hi-viz yellow. Hunters are looking for orange, and yellow does not compute in their minds. I've read that hi-viz yellow is appropriate for urban settings, but that orange is better in rural and woods settings. Definitely during hunting season, orange us the way to go.

Jeeze, that really shocking that they came so close! Be careful!

Holy moly! That's about all I have to say.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

I'm glad you were not hit. Someone in our neighborhood just was, there's a pellet in his leg so deep it would be serious surgery to get it out.

Congrats on the high speeds. but at what a cost!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Hunting season can put a damper on one of the nicest seasons of the year. I have been shot at and it wasn't even hunting season, near Canyonlands in Utah. I enjoy seeing the early season bow hunters in CO. They need to be really quiet, patient, and close to their prey. When rifle season starts, the worst of the hunting contingent comes out to play.

Holy sh*t. Glad everyone's okay.

Do you have any idea what the deal was ... were they really shooting at you (as has been known to happen)? Is hunting legal where you were riding (while people around here tend to go batsh*t during deer gun season, something is in season year round, even if it's only squirrels or groundhogs)? Or is there private land adjacent where someone might've been carelessly hunting or plinking?

IAE I would definitely make a sheriff's report to have it on record, although I'm not sure there's much they can/will do. We had bullets bouncing off our roof for most of two summers ... just thank goodness none of them hit us our or dogs (the property has since been sold to someone who doesn't shoot).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Limewave, glad you and your dh are ok, hope the other riders too. Tulip has a good point about knowing the hunting seasons. My dh and I have to do that for hiking in certain areas. And if hunting is not allowed there, definitely worth a sheriff's report.

Yikes! I'm glad you're okay.

+1 on telling the police.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'd defiantly report, even tho they'll likely not find out who it was as, betting they found 'better' hunting ground when they realized they were shooting at / near people.

The positive is you likely saved someone else from getting shot. It's being a responsible with a gun to NEVER shoot at what you cannot see and take into account what is BEYOND what your shooting at. I stay FAR away from potential hunting locations (tho in the city-- don't have to worry about) come November / December and Whitetail Deer season.

I do ride a trail that is close to a gun-range and first time I rode through there, I about peed my pants as it was REAL close. Nothing like hearing that POW POW POW when your just cruising along enjoying yourself.

Glad you're safe!!
    Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    I'd defiantly report, even tho they'll likely not find out who it was as, betting they found 'better' hunting ground when they realized they were shooting at / near people.

The positive is you likely saved someone else from getting shot. It's being a responsible with a gun to NEVER shoot at what you cannot see and take into account what is BEYOND what your shooting at. I stay FAR away from potential hunting locations (tho in the city-- don't have to worry about) come November / December and Whitetail Deer season.

I do ride a trail that is close to a gun-range and first time I rode through there, I about peed my pants as it was REAL close. Nothing like hearing that POW POW POW when your just cruising along enjoying yourself.

Glad you're safe!!
    Shannon
    We used to live in upstate NY--I'm not entirely sure the "you can't shoot deer in the city" rule was taken seriously. On the other hand, my dad tells me that there was a big buck who spent hunting season in people's yards...
    Just so I know, which one is it?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Oh my!

Another vote for calling the police!

It never even crossed my mind to call the police. I'll do that. I knew it was bow-hunting and small game season. I've always ridden during this time and have never had a problem. This incident was very disturbing. We were hoping to do a longish ride of 35 miles, but we ended up doing just 24 because I couldn't shake my jitters.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Riding during hunting season - be LOUD can you attach bells to your bike - much like hiking in bear country, how is your singing voice maybe a recording that says Don't shoot, seriously I think all this advice is good and very glad you are both okay!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    You do need to contact the police. There should be bullet casings and other evidence in the area. The casings will have tool-marks that allow the rounds to be connected with a particular weapon. That way, if it happens again, they'll know it's the same weapon that was fired.

Seriously. Report it. They won't mind that you waited. (Not much, anyway).
    +1. And where was this? I want to know so that we don't go wherever this happened.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

YIKES!! I'm glad that everyone is ok!

I wanted to add that in addition to reporting it to the police, you should also contact your local game warden. It seems they have a better handle on those types of incidents than perhaps the police.

I ride during hunting season here in Maine and always have, but I will say that I wear hunter orange AND put bear bells on my handlebars... more than likely I scare everything away. Although I'm sure I'm not a favorite of hunters, cyclists still have the same option to be in the woods as hunters. During hunting season, I try to ride trails where there isn't alot of traffic and where hunters will actually have to walk rather than driving or riding a 4 wheeler. The bear bells are something I have for backpacking and simply tie onto your boots or in this case your handlebars or hydration system. There are also orange helmet covers that you could add for some added protection.

At any rate, I'm glad that you are ok and hope your rides in the future will have no other incidents!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com