Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I agree...beach runs are great! Especially on those hot days where it feels SO good to jump in the ocean and cool off...it is warm here this weekend so I may do one of those runs tomorrow. Of course, where you are it is probably always hot so the beach is probably your best bet most days. How cool is the water there--is it refreshing to jump in after running, or does it feel like bath water?
    Bath water this time of year. We jump in the pool instead, which is really refreshing. When the pool gets too chilly this winter, we'll change over to the sea. Nice to have the alternatives!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ran this morning for the first time since I crashed my bike on Thursday, and it felt great to be back out there. The bruised hip and knee were sore for the first .5 mile or so, but then everything felt good. And I was a lot less stiff after the run than I was when I woke up!

A slow 4.5 miles, wearing shorts, tank top, and mittens; at 55F my hands stay cold but the rest is warm.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    As planned, I did a beach run today--15 minutes of easy running from my starting point to the jetty, then a quick dip to cool off, then wind sprints (with walking in between) back to the start and another dunk. I was surprised at how many people were down there today...the first beach I attempted to go to (the nicest on in Wells, that isn't all built up) had NO parking, nor did the second one, but finally the third place did (smaller and less well known). Lots of red-white-and-blue plates on the cars down there today--why couldn't they go to the Cape instead of coming here and making a traffic and parking nightmare? (no offense to anyone from MA; after all that's where I came from, but I was just frustrated with the crowds given that it's after Labor Day and I was expecting things to be quieter down there than they were!!!)
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Life got in the way this past month for cycling/biking and today I finally got out for a run. Only did a mile but at least it was something!

Today's run included hill repeats-- but not the normal kind. Going down steep hills, I'm slow and awkward. So I worked on running downhill. Not sure I'm any faster, but I do feel more confident. But I was getting some weird looks, as I was doing this on a downtown street that's so steep I avoid it on bike or car.

I wrenched my back Sunday night and am on the injured reserve for awhile...no running or riding. Sigh...
    Emily

Emily . . . injured list? That's a bummer.

I was supposed to do super hard intervals on the bike for 90 minutes. Well, my legs were toast and I realized after just 15 minutes there was no way that was going to happen. So I ran an easy 3 miles instead and then took an ice bath and ate peanut butter banana oatmeal.

I'm hoping my legs do a little better tomorrow. I have a scheduled tempo run of 6.5 miles and a rest day off the bike.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

This has not been my week. Last Thursday I crashed my bike, and today was a hard fall while running. Tried to side-step an open gate, tripped, and went down. Scrapes on my left shin and face, a black eye, and road-rash scabs on my right elbow got prematurely removed. Ouch. Kinda wish I'd been wearing my bike helmet.

Thankfully, this happened less than a mile from home; I walked a bit, then ran some too on the way home. Maybe it's time I learned how to swim, as you can't fall in the water....

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Bummer, skhill! Taking a digger on a run is not pleasant...been there, done that!! Today was my long run, road/trail combination that included that long hill--ran the entire thing and was proud of myself for managing that. I must say I feel kind of pathetic calling an hour/probably about 6 miles a "long" run, but that's what it is for me right now.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Ouch skhill! Hope you'll be feeling better soon. That sounds painful.

I'm sitting with an ice pack on the right side of my lower back. Have started alternating with heat and doing some very gentle stretching, but it's going to be awhile before I can either ride or run. I have never done this to my back before, but as my DH says, "you're 50 now, get used to it". He periodically throws out his back but always recovers eventually and gets back to running and cycling, so that gives me hope. Still, it's a REAL drag not to be able to do anything right now, beyond short and gentle walks.
    Emily

Ouch!! Quick healing to all the injured.

Tapering for the half on Sunday ... trying to work out a mildly pinched nerve in my back. I wish I felt more excited about the race.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Finally got to run again after 4 days off due to a cold (and one day of scheduling difficulties). So much for my 'run every day in October' goal! I'm still shooting to run every day for the remainder of the month but mostly because I'm enjoying it.

I had heard/read that once you got to about 20 mpw, that running got easier. That's proving very true for me.

Anyway, last night was 4.4 miles. Easy pace. Enjoyable run. I spent almost the entire run trying to decide what to wear for my half on Sunday and I'm still not decided!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I hope everyone who is injured/sick start feeling better, soon.

Oak, good luck at your half. I hope you work out the pinched nerve in advance of it!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Ran last night even though there was a tornando warning and took a route closer to two miles. It felt so much better than my first run on Monday after taking about a month break.

There was a huge crowd by the middleschool I pass and it turned out that they were having their halloween/homecoming parade. It was fun running to the sound of the marching band and then later to the sound of the high school rock band (that was traveling on the back of a pickup truck). I got home just as the rain started to hit. I bet all those people at the parade had to clear out pretty quickly as well.

Columbus half marathon

1:52:49 . Not much to report, but I'll probably do a little writeup for my own learning experience. My goal was 1:55 and I felt like cr*p for a good part of the race, so I'm just delighted. And starting to get really sore.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler