Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Way to go GLC!
    I leave for a 7 day cruise on Sunday. My goal is to run at least 3 times. (I know they have a track or something, even a TM.) Thing is this is my first one since my 20's. I get horrible motion sickness, but hear this boat is so big you won't notice--I hope! I'll report back and let you know if I made or even surpassed my goal.

K
    katluvr

katluvr - I get motion sickness really easily, too! Cruises scare me! I hope it goes well for you.

Last night I barely had time to run. I was packing for this trip, doing laundry, cooking a big dinner so that my H would have lots of leftovers and generally stressing about leaving AGAIN. It was the perfect night to blow off my run, but seeing as how we are only 4 days into October, I just couldn't justify it.

So I ran for 1 mile (and walked for half of one) on the treadmill. I did it completely barefoot for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted a bit of a challenge since I only had 15 minutes or so to exercise and 2) I'd already packed my running shoes!

Run 4 of 31 complete.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I did 2.2 miles on the TM yesterday, mostly running, some hill walking.

Today, I had a dumb meeting in the AM, obliterating my day for a long ride. So, I came home ran 2.4 miles outside and off I go, to see clients.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Just got back from my first of 5 runs at altitude. 2.55 miles in Boulder, CO. It was great! Great route, great weather and I love having time to get out for exercise after flying - it kind of resets me back to normal.

Looking forward to a longer run tomorrow.

Run 5 of 31 complete.

Did my first "run" in years today. Went after a gym (elliptical) session, so I would have solid cardio for the day, as I knew I would not last long running. Went around my block (.3 - .4 miles). Ran most of it - walked the parts that were very rough pavement and/or couldn't see well (which was about a 60/40 run/walk split). Felt "heavy" - but concentrating on good running form. At least it's a start - however pitiful Please don't laugh!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

No laughing, blueberry! Running is not easy -- to me it's much harder than cycling. I know there are people who are natural runners (like my husband), but it is difficult for me. Every quarter mile early on was a struggle and an accomplishment. All the books say to do walk/running for quite awhile before graduating to all running. It takes times for your joints, tendons, ligaments, etc. to adjust. It *does* get easier, but at least for me, not *that* much easier! Probably because as you get better, you either push yourself to go faster or longer (or both), so you kinda end up at the same effort level most of the time, or at least I do.

I did a nice beach run here this am that DH estimates was in the 3.2 to 3.4 mile range. It was very humid after early morning rain, and the sun was coming out on the way back, so it was definitely a challenge for me, but at least my body didn't hurt. Here, I mostly struggle with the heat and humidity, but the temps should be cooling down a bit as time goes on. It's already better than when we got here in late August.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

5K this afternoon. Nothing like a good downpour to make you pick up your pace a bit!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

Good job, Blueberry!

Today I did 4.1 miles (again, at altitude). Gorgeous weather, gorgeous scenery, interesting people to watch...

Run 6 of 31 complete.

Great job, Blueberry and what Emily said!

I went on my first run since June, i.e., since my doc started to suspect Graves' Disease. I went with friends during our lunch break, something I've never done before. My boss is out this week, so we're not in court. It didn't matter that I was drenched in sweat. The run went fine, all things considered. If I had been alone, I likely would have walked more, so I guess it was a good thing. It was about 74 degrees, which is warmer than I like for running. I'm looking forward to cooler temps. Anyway, I think we only did about 2 miles, but that's 2 miles more than I've been doing.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Today was a "long" run (about an hour and twenty minutes, with occasional walking breaks) in some new territory--there is a nature preserve a couple towns over that has somewhere around 14 miles of trails that I decided to check out today. Obviously I didn't do all 14 miles, and because there was no map I don't know what distance I did but it was a good run. I was just glad I was able to find my way back to the car without getting turned around, given that I was relying on memory and my sense of direction (and looking for my tracks going in the opposite direction a couple of times where I wasn't sure--one disadvantage of minimal shoes: one often doesn't leave clear footprints unless in mud or a soft sandy patch, fortunately there were a decent number of the latter on these trails).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Just got back from another quick run. Did 2.1 miles on a bike path/MUP near my hotel in Denver. Tried to take it really easy in prep for tomorrows long run. At least the weather was gorgeous! Tomorrow promises to be cold and rainy. Yipee.

Run 7 of 31 complete.

GLC, good luck with the long run in the yucky weather tomorrow! Although, sometimes cool rainy weather isn't so bad to run in--keeps you from getting too hot. It is supposed to get up into the 80s here this weekend (after having been in the 50s and 60s) so I intend to do my run early in the morning tomorrow before it heats up. Sunday might be a run on the beach where I have the opportunity to cool off when I need to.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Another of the same beach runs as Wed. -- 3.2ish miles. Am really starting to love running on the beach!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Another of the same beach runs as Wed. -- 3.2ish miles. Am really starting to love running on the beach!
    I agree...beach runs are great! Especially on those hot days where it feels SO good to jump in the ocean and cool off...it is warm here this weekend so I may do one of those runs tomorrow. Of course, where you are it is probably always hot so the beach is probably your best bet most days. How cool is the water there--is it refreshing to jump in after running, or does it feel like bath water?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

GLC, I hope you postponed that long run. Or you're at least waiting til this afternoon!

I just finished a trail half marathon. The weather was awwwwwfffffulllll. Race report is in the "Clothing Opinion" thread. I have no idea how I did, but those might be the most miserable conditions I've ever run in. Not to mention the 25 mph max on the interstate this morning in the middle of a BLIZZARD!!! I'm doing nothing for the rest of the day but staying warm.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens