Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Spooky running - It's October!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wanted to start a new thread for October for two reasons.

1) I've never started the running thread before!
    2) I'm running every day in the month of October, so it seemed fitting to keep them all in one place. You all should see me check in every single day this month!

Today I did an easy paced 2 miles at 8 am. It was only about 75F and it felt awesome! Looking forward to tomorrow's big run for the week.

Run 1 of 31 complete.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I'll be cheering you on!

My joints just can't seem to handle multiple days of running in a row. Maybe if I could do yoga every day it would work...

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'll chime in, too! I ran consecutive days earlier this week and my knees almost didn't forgive me. This morning I ran a 5k distance at a pace of 13:24. I know that's REALLY slow for the rest of you, but it's a personal best for me!

GLC, it's 55f right now. Was there a heat wave in your neighborhood this morning? LOL!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

GLC, good luck on running every day!

When I woke up this morning, it was all of 40F, and the weather channel was giving a wind chill temp of 36. BRRRRR! The good thing is we weren't struggling with heat and humidity during the 10k. But man it was cold and windy. About 2.5 miles in, I could finally feel all my toes (VFFs aren't very warm!), then by the 5 mile marker, they were going numb again. Definitely should have dressed warmer, but my winter running gear was boxed up. It's all out now... Ended up around 59:00 for the race, not very good but then I haven't been running much lately, and no speedwork since July. At least I ran the whole way, and kept a pretty steady pace. And I found a couple of crab apple trees on the course ready to be picked...

Ellen - I'm in FL this weekend! I WISH I was running in 50-degree weather, actually.

Congrats on the PR, that's great!

On the running every day thing - we'll see how it goes. There is NO WAY I could have done this even 6 months ago, but I've been consistent enough in my training now that I think it'll be fine. Some runs will be only a mile or two - others will be 13.1 (like in two weeks!). I'm hoping that by doing this, come November, I'll have built up a really good running habit and it'll all feel a lot easier to me.

Good luck, GLC! I don't think I could do that. I need at least a day in between but I have old legs!

Congrats to you Oxy on the PR. Feels great, doesn't it?

I woke up to 43 degrees this morning. Fall is definitely here but it was a perfect morning for my 11 mile run. It felt great and I feel ready for my half-marathon the end of the month.

Oh, and I got a pedicure Thursday and when she took the old polish off, I found I had 2 black big toenails. Eeek!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I also ran for the first of October. It's a gray, drizzly day and the 50 mile ride I was supposed to lead up to Hollis, NH, well, I cancelled it. It was pouring this morning.
    I ran 5K, and ran almost the whole way. Took 3 maybe one minute walk breaks, but I did run up one small hill that almost always makes me want to walk. It's right at the inside curve on a somewhat busy country road, and I was too lazy to cross the street. But, no cars came and I flew up that. I did manage to run up the big hill, but I must have been going like 3 mph. Made myself stretch, too when I got back. Some days I just know I will feel OK running. As per my running program, I have no idea how fast I went or how long it took. Didn't even look at the time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I was supposed to go on a 10-mile hike today, but it was cancelled because of rain--bummer, since I had been looking forward to that all week and then was left without anything to do today. Ended up doing a "long" (for me, not for a lot of you) run of just over an hour, in a light rain at about 62 degrees--not sure of the mileage and have no way to figure it out since a good part of it was on trails for which I don't have a map that shows the distance and www.mapmyrun.com isn't any help there either. The road part was a total of 3.4 miles; time-wise I'd say that was about half of it but I probably was going slower on some of the trails. So, I probably did somewhere around 6 miles. I ran 1.7 miles to the farm that has some of my favorite local trails, ran a loop that took me just under 20 minutes, and headed back the same way, taking an out-and-back detour on a trail that I saw coming off the main road on the way out, then going home the way I came. Surprisingly, I ran literally the whole way (with one stop in the restroom before leaving the farm), including the long hill on the way to the farm. That hill had to be almost a mile of pretty much continuous climbing; I'm shocked that I managed to run the whole thing and then keep going! I felt pretty good the whole run--maybe the rain helped b/c it kept me from getting too warm, or maybe it was the cup of tea I drank just before I went out. Who knows?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I'll be cheering you on!

My joints just can't seem to handle multiple days of running in a row. Maybe if I could do yoga every day it would work...

Veronica
    It is the same for me. I can handle about 4 days max in a row. It is getting warmer here so it will be interesting to see how I fair in the hotter weather. I started running trails this winter and have enjoyed it but I hate the heat.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Ellen - I'm in FL this weekend! I WISH I was running in 50-degree weather, actually.
    Ahhh, that explains it!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

On this morning's run, I went exploring on a street I hadn't been on before. New Street is the name, more of an alley really, and more than 200 years old and still called "New." And that's where I got chased by a miniature poodle. Any one of my cats could have beaten-up that dog, but it still tried to bite me. The dog's owner came and retrieved him and apologized, but still...

Exactly 5 miles, in 50 minutes, just taking it easy and enjoying the morning. And I too wish it were 50 F here; it's way too early in the fall for this 40F nonsense in KY.

Did my 12 mile training run yesterday morning. I was up at 6, to the trail by 7 and running by 7:10 and there was barely enough light. Weird! It was significantly cooler at that hour, so the run was mostly pleasant. Did it in 2:25 with very little effort, so I'm certain that I'll make my goal for the HM. The second half of the run started to get a little hot, but I couldn't take my time as I had a plane to catch!

So yes, longest run of my life and I follow it with a quick shower and a dash to the airport so that I can sit on multiple airplanes for 8+ hours. Thank Zoot for their Rx Recovery tights - I'm feeling WAY better today than I would have been otherwise!

Run 2 of 31 complete.

(I'll report on today's run after I do it this evening...)

I'm running 3 mornings a week (normally MWF) on the beach here in Belize. I'd taken a break from running before our move here, since our gym at work closed so I couldn't use the treadmills there, and it was too hot in NC to run outside, so I basically started from scratch here. Some days it's still quite hot and sunny, so I really drag, but this morning it was cool (for Belize! 74F to be exact!) and overcast, and had just barely stopped sprinkling when we headed out. I did my longest run so far here, around 5K. As the weather gets a bit cooler with the passing months, I'd love to work up to 5 mile runs.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

After I saw how expensive the Rock 'n' Roll half had gotten, I signed up to run an Xterra trail half next weekend. Guess I won't find out if I can do a half in under 2 hours, but it'll be fun (and $100 cheaper).

Now I just have to hope my legs recover from standing all day Saturday (serving beer at the Great American Beer Festival!) and hiking a 14er Sunday, then sprinting back down to tree line since nature was calling. I can't walk down stairs today

Here goes nothin'!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

2 miles on the treadmill last night. I really didn't want to, but I made myself. I've committed to this and I WILL do it!

Run 3 of 31 complete.