Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Horseriding helmets

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't been on a horse in 20 years. No lie. I just realized the last time I was on a horse was a 3-day horse trek in 1991.

Sheeee-it.

That's too long. Right now I'm debating between working on a motorcycle endorsement or getting to the point where I feel confident on a horse. I need to learn and get involved doing SOMETHING p.d.q. (I'm leaning toward the horse.)

My question of the hour is: does a bike helmet work as a riding helmet? I had a nifty head injury from a bike crash, and I am not ashamed to wear a helmet on a horse nor on a bike. My Bell Citi fits me very well, has a rounded back, and looks a lot like the horse riding helmets I see on the interwebs. However, it is brilliant lime green. Do horses see in Hi-Vis? Would screaming lime green freak them out? Does a bike helmet protect the noggin in the same way as a horse riding helmet?

Teach me, oh horsey babes of TE!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Hey, i ride! Used to ride jumpers now I've cut back to low key flat stuff due to pregnancy. Get back on. You won't regret it. Horses are absolutely incredible animals.

I won't get on a horse without a helmet. In my equestrian helmet collection, I have a GPA, a Charles Owen, and a Tiperrary. The biggest difference I notice between them and my bike helmets is the coverage in the back. They come down much lower on my skull than my bike helmet. My riding helmets also have more substantial harnesses than my bike helmet. Despite the differences, I wouldn't hesitate to get on a horse with a cycling helmet over no helmet at all. No frills schooling, but approved equestrian helmets can be bought inexpensively if you decide to keep riding.

Don't worry about the lime green. No guarantee the horse won't mistake your green clad head for a tasty apple though....

If you do ride, an update is a must!

I know nothing about horse riding helmets, but biking helmets are only required (Refer to: http://www.bhsi.org/testing.htm ) to protect the head from a 2 meter (~6 foot) fall on a flat surface and a 1.2m fall on a more pointed surface. I'd guess that you'd be higher than that on a horse. Regardless, a biking helmet would be better than no helmet at all.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Here's what the BHSI has to say about it:

http://www.bhsi.org/other.htm

Short answer: don't.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I haven't been on a horse in 20 years. No lie. I just realized the last time I was on a horse was a 3-day horse trek in 1991.

Sheeee-it.

That's too long. Right now I'm debating between working on a motorcycle endorsement or getting to the point where I feel confident on a horse. I need to learn and get involved doing SOMETHING p.d.q. (I'm leaning toward the horse.)

My question of the hour is: does a bike helmet work as a riding helmet? I had a nifty head injury from a bike crash, and I am not ashamed to wear a helmet on a horse nor on a bike. My Bell Citi fits me very well, has a rounded back, and looks a lot like the horse riding helmets I see on the interwebs. However, it is brilliant lime green. Do horses see in Hi-Vis? Would screaming lime green freak them out? Does a bike helmet protect the noggin in the same way as a horse riding helmet?

Teach me, oh horsey babes of TE!
    I would get a helmet for the purpose. I understand your need to do something else - horses are great (that was my livelihood and hobby for many years). They are, however, pretty expensive! If you are thinking about buying your own, get ready, you will have no time for anything else! You can't just park them in the garage and leave them alone when you get busy!

However, motorcycles, you can!

I used to keep my horse up at Lorimer's at the top of Oakland Hills when I lived in the Bay Area. It used to be pretty nice, but I know it has changed ownership since I lived there. You might try lessons there and see if you like it.

Thanks you, everyone!

Ok, I will buy an equestrian helmet. The stable where I am thinking of taking lessons only requires them for people under 18 years old and does have them to rent.

I'd prefer to have my own, and it looks like I can get them fairly cheap all the way up to stupid expensive - just like bike helmets! Thanks for the testing standard number, Oak. I'll be sure I get one that has the sticker. Muirenn - I will look for a Troxel. Oblong heads FTW!

Spoke - Not buying a horse, no way! I'm planning to take lessons for a while.

The stable also leases horses. Can't take a horse out into the nearby horse park without a serious commitment, not just an hourly-fee jaunt, and only a limited number of people are allowed to lease each horse. I have a feeling their horses are probably better off than the hourly-fee ones. So if I decide I want to expand out from lessons at the stable to riding on the trails, I can get a lease-share of a horse.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson