Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No charges filed against driver filmed purposely hitting a cyclist

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.waba.org/blog/2011/09/no-...iking-cyclist/

This driver was videotaped hitting a cyclist on purpose after threatening words were said before hand - with witnesses. But no charges are being filed.

argh
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I really hope the cyclist talks to an attorney and considers bringing private legal action.

So frustrating
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Maybe, just maybe, if this is publicized enough, it will bring a little awareness to non-riders of what we face every day.

DH has a great interest in traffic laws and collisions and follows them quite a bit in the news, especially where motorcycles are concerned, and because his news clipper searches for stories concerning "bikes" and "bikers," he often pulls down stories about bicyclists as well. Still, he is always amazed when I show him one of these stories. People who don't ride just. don't. get it, and if someone doesn't get it who's all about responsibility on the road, and married to a cyclist fercryinoutloud, nobody gets it. Share this story widely and just maybe it will get some traction.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

They don't see people. They see things, obstacles. Not human beings.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Nope, they don't see those either. They rear-end garbage trucks and school buses and police cars with lights flashing, day after day after day. The only difference is that when they do that, if they survive, they know better than to tell the cops they "didn't see" the school bus, and if they do say that, the cops and judges and juries know better than to pretend to believe them.

Anyway, when the collision is undeniably intentional, none of that stuff makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    http://www.waba.org/blog/2011/09/no-...iking-cyclist/

This driver was videotaped hitting a cyclist on purpose after threatening words were said before hand - with witnesses. But no charges are being filed.
    Does this link provide access to the actual video? I don't see it on my browser, but my browser (here at work) is old and unreliable.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Does this link provide access to the actual video? I don't see it on my browser, but my browser (here at work) is old and unreliable.
    The first time I opened it, it did. The 2nd time not. The 3rd time it did and someone else I sent it to saw it.

So I think the answer is yes, but at least once I've not been able to get the video.

I saw it in Firefox this AM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Video can be seen here on WABA's blog.

WashCycle had some discussion of it, too. Linked right to WABA's blog...

One of the WC commenters had an interesting take on it:

"It's a tough call. While I don't necessarily agree,
    I suspect the reason was along these lines: After the exchange, the driver pulls ahead and starts to gradually move over. There is no sudden movement. The truck is almost past the bike when the collision occurs. The bike makes no effort to avoid the truck visibly moving into its lane.

This adds up to a more-likely-than-not case, but that's not good enough for a conviction. A defense attorney would argue that the gradual move over while pulling forward, and the fact that the collision was with the rear of the truck, is plausibly just an instance of a driver passing and then misjudging where they were in relation to the cyclist. And they would bring up the lack of any effort by the cyclist to avoid a crash. Yes, he had no legal obligation to move out of the lane, but all vehicles are obligated to avoid accidents where it is in their power to do so. Same for assaults. It would be like someone intentionally pushing a heavy object at you gradually, and your not moving out of the way. In an assault case, it's tough to win when the victim could have avoided being assaulted and visibly did not do so."
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I just ran across the Campaign for Global Road Safety.

I haven't been all the way through the website, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

I think it's about time to renew my LAB membership anyway, which I re-joined a couple of years ago in response to another one of these incidents...

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    "It's a tough call. While I don't necessarily agree,
    I suspect the reason was along these lines: After the exchange, the driver pulls ahead and starts to gradually move over. There is no sudden movement. The truck is almost past the bike when the collision occurs. The bike makes no effort to avoid the truck visibly moving into its lane.

This adds up to a more-likely-than-not case, but that's not good enough for a conviction. A defense attorney would argue that the gradual move over while pulling forward, and the fact that the collision was with the rear of the truck, is plausibly just an instance of a driver passing and then misjudging where they were in relation to the cyclist. And they would bring up the lack of any effort by the cyclist to avoid a crash. Yes, he had no legal obligation to move out of the lane, but all vehicles are obligated to avoid accidents where it is in their power to do so. Same for assaults. It would be like someone intentionally pushing a heavy object at you gradually, and your not moving out of the way. In an assault case, it's tough to win when the victim could have avoided being assaulted and visibly did not do so."

I'm not entirely certain how it matters that the bike didn't take evasive maneuvers. It's like saying if you didn't try to evade getting hit in a car to car accident that the car that didn't get out of the way of the car trying to hit it is at fault.

Or the pedestrian who didn't jump out of the cross walk to avoid being runover is at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I'm not entirely certain how it matters that the bike didn't take evasive maneuvers. It's like saying if you didn't try to evade getting hit in a car to car accident that the car that didn't get out of the way of the car trying to hit it is at fault.

Or the pedestrian who didn't jump out of the cross walk to avoid being runover is at fault.
    I think his point is that not evading a imminent accident does not make it assault. The pedestrian in your scenario is not the victim of assault, but the victim of a collision. "Fault" is a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    I think his point is that not evading a imminent accident does not make it assault. The pedestrian in your scenario is not the victim of assault, but the victim of a collision. "Fault" is a separate issue.
    If you look at the video - the guy is yelling at him around 1 min 14-15 seconds, the cyclist is on the ground at 1 min 16-17 second.

So... The cyclist has maybe 1 second to avoid a collision while being yelled at and to realize... that the guy who is yelling at him is going to clip him. The cyclist had just passed a line of parked cars on his right, so may very well have still thought there was cars there.

I don't think that's slow motion at all.

And if you're shouting at someone you clip & responding when they say "what's that?" - it's hard to see how it can be claimed that you just misjudged the passing distance, because you're definitely completely aware of where the cyclist is...

I'm not saying I agree - with the ruling or the comment I posted. I'm just offering it up as a possible scenario. This case got a lot of local attention and was actually praised for the aggressive follow-up by police (who normally DON'T follow up on such things). I imagine there are a whole lot of facts (and law) we don't know and that's one of the reasons why WABA is pushing for the anti-harassment civil cause of action where criminal cases such as this fail.