Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Streets around World Trade Center

To disable ads, please log-in.

If any cyclists are told by a police officer that you can't cycle on streets near the World Trade Center, would you please let me know?

Today a very nice cop told me that "only vehicles" are allowed on Washington St. He explained that I might be in danger from the construction vehicle behind me. Sheesh, if I were intimidated by construction vehicles I wouldn't be cycling much around here. And if a cop really thought the construction vehicle was going to rear end me, shouldn't he be stopping it?

Other cyclists have complained to the Community Board about the same problem. I'm not sure where we are going with this, but with pedestrians from the 9/11 Memorial taking over Liberty St. and Washington St., something needs to be done.

Don't even get me started on Occupy Wall Street.

Have you contacted Transportation Alternatives? They're usually interested in, and monitoring, this kind of insane NYPD behavior.
    http://www.transalt.org/
    ccnyc
    2006 Serotta Concours/Terry Butterfly Ti

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post

Today a very nice cop told me that "only vehicles" are allowed on Washington St.
    But, a bike is a vehicle. Maybe he doesn't know that.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    But, a bike is a vehicle. Maybe he doesn't know that.
    He knows it now, 'cause I told him

Maybe I will do what fact-finding I can locally and then contact Transportation Alternatives.

It's possible this was a temporary condition due to the Occupy Wall Street protest, which has cops double-parked all over the neighborhood. Also on the day this happened, there was a charity run which closed some streets and flooded the neighborhood with post-run celebrants. And they still haven't figured out what to do with all the tour buses that are flocking to the 9/11 Memorial.

I am so ready to move to Montana.