Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

San Luis Obispo & Thereabouts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was just up in SLO for a one-day work trip. Usually I book through this town on my way north or south; my knowledge of the place until now was limited to Cal Poly and the Madonna Inn.

It seems like a really cool area, and it looks like it's got great biking. I might be back soon for weekend trip. Anyone have suggestions on places to stay and places to bike? Avila beach seemed especially neato.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Avila Beach has a little resort "Avila Hot Springs" (I think) You can get a room with your own little hot tub - I have friends who like to go there. DH has gotten route info from a link on the San Luis Obispo Bike Club's site. One of our favorite rides is the "Pozo Loop" starting from Santa Margarita - kind of isolated, you should ride with a friend, rolling hills and very lovely. Another pretty ride is "Peachy Canyon" - closer to Paso Robles. Another fun ride is the route of the SLOBC's "Lighthouse Century" - Basically riding from (Cuesta College) the SLO junior college on the highway to Morro Bay, to Highway 1, then up the coast to the lighthouse north of Cambria ( you will ride right past the Elephant Seal beach, with both a great view and less great smell of the Elephant Seals). It's a great ride, slightly uphill north, and mostly downhill all the way back to where you park at Cuesta college! This is Brandi's neck of the woods, maybe she can chime in...In the past, we have stayed 4 nights at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles and done most of these rides in late October. Unfortunately, Paso is now "wine country" and has gotten $$$. I crashed and broke my ankle on a highway between Creston & Highway 58 - it is beautiful, but watch out for that off-camber S-curve! SLO/Paso Robles area has fabulous riding! tokie

Here's a link to the SLOBC's Favorite Rides, complete with mileage and descriptions of the rides! http://www.slobc.org/local-rides/favorite.html

Place to stay: http://www.madonnainn.com/ just to see it...it's a cool place
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Madonna Inn! Everyone stops there to see the men's bathroom. (it's a wall of stone waterfall) And they have swing dancing there some nights, and big cakes with lots of frosting.The rooms there are crazy! I'm not sure I could sleep in one! tokie

Talking

Here's a link to the SLOBC's Favorite Rides, complete with mileage and descriptions of the rides! http://www.slobc.org/local-rides/favorite.html
    Thanks, Tokie! This is perfect.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama