Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Recommendations For A Bike Lock

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been doing more solo rides this year and am now thinking I need to get a lock for my bike. I've been lucky so far riding in small towns, but don't want to push my luck. Any recommendations?
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

go to your LBS and check out the kryptonite ones. We like the ones with combinations the best but you might like a cable with a key. I have a small D lock and it is almost useless unless it is used with another lock because it fits very few things. The big D locks are HEAVY.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Any recommendations?
    Get a Kryptonite, On-Guard, or ABUS brand "U-lock", the smaller the better (i.e. more secure).

Cable locks merely keep your bike safe from joy riding kids so that the real bike thieves can steal it.

Thanks for this thread as we are also looking at getting locks. We're planning on taking the bikes with us (most likely the mountain bikes) when we go to Bristol and need good looks to lock them at the track while we're in the track watching the races. We see a lot of people riding their bikes from where they park the vehicle to the track and back and if we can do that we can park a good bit farther away from the track. The other thing is I'm close enough to a few stores I'd love to be able to use the bike instead of the car for minor errands. Thank you for this thread.

I have a Kryptonite "U" lock along with a 4' cable to wrap up the front tire to the frame and through the U lock. That way the thief has to carry two different implements to defeat the two types of locks. If someone really wants to get your bike they will.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

I have On-Guard D lock with key, with a 5' long cable to tie my bike on my rack if I'm going to be inside a store or put it in my car, or if someone wants to lock their bike on my bike rack as well. They have a guarantee that it won't be cut through, and if it does, they will replace the cost of the bike/frame (I think, please double check on this...).

I use the D lock on my rear wheel to the frame, and if I'm using the cable, I wrap it around the bike rack.

I never EVER leave my bike alone overnight tied to something (with exceptions of Triathlons where you need to leave your bike overnight - security is always there).

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    Get a Kryptonite, On-Guard, or ABUS brand "U-lock", the smaller the better (i.e. more secure).

Cable locks merely keep your bike safe from joy riding kids so that the real bike thieves can steal it.
    I couldn't agree more with laura*. Cable locks are virtually useless on their own against a half competent London bike thief who will get through it in under a couple of minutes. Bike theft is a plague in my city. Hopefully they are less skilled in the places that you're visiting.

I carry a Kryptonite lock and cable if I have to lock my bike outdoors for a short period of time. If I know I have to leave it for a few hours, which is very rare, I use a gold standard Abus U lock for the frame and rear wheel and a combination cable lock for both wheels. Even then, tests show that a professional bike thief can get through that in about 5 minutes. So where you park is also important.

I don't know if this is the case with you but some insurers here will not pay out unless your lock meets a particular standard locks are now often categorised as bronze, silver or gold standard. My insurer requires a bronze standard lock as a minimum.

Sorry for the long post but this is one of my bug bears, which on some days puts a dent in my enjoyment of cycling in London. As biciclista indicated, there is no such thing as a strong yet light lock. Perhaps I should have posted this in the Dear So and So thread.

I'm on a major university campus every day, and every day I see lonely front wheels locked very securely to bike racks with U-locks. The front wheels are lonely because the rest of the bike was stolen, probably in about 30 seconds.

PLEASE learn how to lock up your bike properly. The best and most expensive lock in the world will not protect your bike if you don't know what to do with it. As with most things bike, Sheldon Brown has some good advice on the topic. If you don't mind taking the time to watch a video, here is a really good video series on what makes for good or bad locking strategies.

For small towns that you are in for a short time, even a little cable lock is probably sufficient. If you are going to be in an area with more bike theft, such as a college campus of any size, a kryptonite lock is best. Some of their locks, you can sign up for basically an insurance program. I'm not sure the details but I'll probably do it before long, because my bike is our "second car" and it's worth it to me to have that extra protection. I've also heard that a regular sized U-lock is best, because the extra long locks provide extra room to get that little saw in, the one that can cut through kryptonite.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Thanks for the recommendations and advice. Yikes...I feel really lucky that I haven't had a problem yet. But, again I mostly ride in less populated areas and visit smaller towns. However, I really should be more careful. Thanks again!
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck