Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need opinions on XXS FS!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all...

I am having a very frustrating problem with sizing. I have only been out on the trails for 6 rides, so forgive me because I am new at all this. I have tried to do my hours on hours of research with sizes, but apparently the lack of standards of measurements are beginning to show a huge problem.

I am 4'10.5" with a 26.2" inseam. I purchased a 2011 Petite Cannondale Lexi 3 from my LBS and they told me that I would just have to adjust to getting on and off the bike at an angle. Come to find out, I don't think I can stand my bike much longer.

My standover on my tippy toes puts the bike right up the center of myself (putting it very nicely), so in a panic moment, I can't unclip and just stand up. I even have a hard time unclipping one leg and standing up at a decent angle to evaluate a technical part of the trail. I don't have as much of a problem riding the bike as I do with stopping and starting which doesn't do much for my confidence for falling over for no reason! Then when I tried to get into attack position, I can not get behind the seat and get the extension I need for the weight transfer.

Today, I went to another bike shop and sat on an 2009 XS Juliana Santa Cruz with the stock 100mm fork. I was super disappointed that it too was right up myself and I couldn't comfortably flat foot the bike. I have sat on a 2005 XS Juliana with a 100mm fork and it fit fantastic, so I am baffled on why the 2009 didn't fit.

Anyone who can give me some bike suggestions and hands on experience with the standover and ability to reach attack position on any FS bike with around 100mm travel would be awesome!!! Thanks!!!!

I just wanted to say welcome to TE. If you search a bit, you will find lots of info for shorter riders. But I can answer your question. Each bike manufacturer makes a slightly different bike. It's very common for a 44 from one company to be a different SIZE from a 44 in another. For one thing just because the stand over is the same, it doesn't mean that the top tube (reach) is the same or vice versa..
    You just have to try a lot of bikes and if you're lucky, you will find one that fits.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

When Santa Cruz first introduced the Juliana, its geometry was truly different from its unisex counterpart, the Superlight. At some point, they changed the Juliana's geometry. While they continued to offer the bike in an XS, it's bigger than it used to be. You'll note too that in sizes small and medium, the geometry is the same as the Superlight.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thank yall so much for the replies. I looked through the threads quite a bit but I guess I was hoping that a short rider would have the magic answer for me.

I live in the DFW TX area and I have been to almost every bike shop around sitting on bikes. The problem I am having is that no one carries the XXS or XS to try out and no way am I putting another deposit on a bike that won't work for me. My LBS pretty much said too bad so sad...I am not too happy about it but unless I drop to a hardtail, I don't think Cannondale or trek bikes will work (once again I don't know 100% cause no one has any smaller bikes in stock to sit on). I will go through that thread and read...

It just really sucks with a 28.7 standover on the lexi 3 and if I measure my inseam it sits flat at 26. Talk about a pain!!!

You might check out the women's subforum on mtbr.com. There on some threads on bikes for short people. There are also some people looking to sell their bikes. I seem to recall a couple of women looking to sell their XSS or XS Titus bikes. Titus is one of the few that might fit you. They were purchased by a new company last year; I'm not sure they're currently in production, hence the need to buy used.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Have you looked at Pivot bicycles? The Mach 4 xxs has a standover height of 25.5 and is designed to fit riders 4'11 to 5'2.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/bikes/detail/1

I have a Titus Racer X, xs. I really love the bike. I had to look high and low for a FS bike that fit. I don't care about extra long travel because it makes the bikes too big for me. Inseam 28". I need to be able to feel I can dominate the bike. I feel that way on the Titus.
    Good luck in your search.
    S