Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Venting Frustration

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last year my students did exceptionally well on our state tests. 17 of my students raised their score by at least one level and 77% of my class was proficient in Lang. Arts. The previous year only 52% were proficient.

My math scores weren't as good with 67% proficient with most students staying at the level they came to me at. They were pretty strong in math, so Lang. Arts was my big focus last year.

My scores are head and shoulders above the school's average and the district's. Nonetheless, my principal wants to know how I'm going to increase my scores even further.

Geez... I have 32 students. First through third grade classes have 21 - 24 students. I REALLY hope he's asking them what are they going to do differently!

I am finding this year to be particularly stressful. I'm thankful that I have a solid workout plan because the last time I was this stressed was 1999 - 2000, the year I gained 15 pounds and ended up weighing 180.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    wow- I can feel your pain, V...

I think you should as HIM what he plans to do differently since teaching 32 5th graders and trying to meet every child's need is almost impossible. I only had one year when I had 30 5th graders- and that was soooo difficult to reach every one.

Ugh... sorry, V. You're a fantastic teacher- I know you'll get it done.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The worst is - he wants me doing professional dev. to help the other teachers get better. I'm sorry - for ten years we had class sizes of 20 in K - third grade and it did NOTHING for our test scores because the teachers did not change what they were doing...

You can't make someone be a great teacher - it comes from the heart. Well... you also have to have a reasonable amount of intelligence.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

intelligence, perseverance, energy, sense of humor, patience....
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

If a person is mediocre little is asked of them. If a person good, much is expected of them. If a person excels much is demanded of them. Is that fair? No, but for all practicle purposes this is how life goes. People soon learn that if you need something done, find the busiest person you know because they always have a way of getting things done.

Perhaps you might be a tad bit less frustrated if you look at this like a compliment. Just a different perspective...
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    If a person is mediocre little is asked of them. If a person good, much is expected of them. If a person excels much is demanded of them. Is that fair? No, but for all practicle purposes this is how life goes. People soon learn that if you need something done, find the busiest person you know because they always have a way of getting things done.

Perhaps you might be a tad bit less frustrated if you look at this like a compliment. Just a different perspective...
    +1 I could not agree more with this statement. I tend to be a hard worker and go above and beyond and my boss continues to give me more to do while the rest of the team just slides by. Is it frustrating??? Yes it is but I know my work ethic and I know I can't scale it back because that is not who I am.

Good luck V!!!! With all of your strong discipline and dedication you will achieve these goals set out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

You can't make someone be a great teacher - it comes from the heart. Well... you also have to have a reasonable amount of intelligence.

Veronica
    +1. My best teachers had a passion for what they were teaching and it was infused in the students. How can you teach that to your peers?

I'd ask my principal to come sit in on my class & let me know what I could do better (evil grin.)
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I understand where you are coming from, V, but I would see the request to do a professional development day for your colleagues as an honor. Infuse it with humor and you will get them laughing, even if they never come close to what you are doing. Model what you do with your kids with them.
    I was in the very same position as you a few years ago. Some of the teachers hated me, and eventually they left; retired, etc. I was seen as the evil empire brought in form another district and before I knew it, there were new, young teachers all around me and they all were on the same page as me. It only took a few years and a superintendent who kept pushing for change.
    I wouldn't change anything with your math; keep doing what you are doing. I only had 21-25 kids when I taught fifth grade and even less when I looped with 6-7th.
    I am now dealing with horrible teachers in my new job, when I have to meet with the schools where my clients attend. What's even worse is the way some of their parents are treated, just because they are poor and have all kinds of challenges.
    It never stops.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport