Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Less than four days to IM#2...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I swore after my first in 2006 that I would NEVER do this again... and yet here we are.
    On Saturday I am attempting IM #2. It's the Redman Full Distance Triathlon. It's practically in my backyard (I can see transition from my back porch). I'm sooooo excited, but I'm WAY more nervous than I was the first time. My stomach is already doing somersaults 3 days out. My training hasn't been what I had hoped it would be, so I'm quite certain I will be pushing the 17 hour cutoff. I think the 2nd time around I knew that I could do it, so I wasn't as fearful of the distance and perhaps slacked a little more than I should have. I've also suffered a major IT issue at my hip that has kept me from running for the last 3 weeks. I'm afraid of the marathon, and am hoping for the best (which is to just finish the marathon doing as much running as I can before I'm forced to walk).

I'm super excited and super ready to race with a dozen of my closest friends. My hubs is also doing his 2nd IM that day with me. He will finish about 4-5 hours ahead of me, tho, so he'll have plenty of time to shower, eat a nice dinner and relax before I cross the line.
    Anyway- just thought I'd share. I'm ready, I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm anxious, etc etc. All those emotions that you can't control. I cry at the drop of a hat and can't seem to hold much of a thought the last couple days (which has made work pretty exciting).

Let's get this thing on!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

SO exciting!!!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled for you! I always believe that making it to the starting line is the first accomplishment (and always my first goal!). Being in one piece enough to just START is incredible. You will do what you can on the marathon, and it will be hard, but SO worth it.

Is there any tracking so we can follow you???

I love that this post really feels like the week before a race! Jumping out of your skin! Go Get Em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Have fun and enjoy the day.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Good luck! Do the best you can, but don't hurt yourself!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Good luck! You will rock it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You are going to be great!!! Good luck!!!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Good luck!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Good luck!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

How exciting! Best of luck to you. Have a blast!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

You can track me here:
    http://www.onlineraceresults.com/eve...?event_id=7482

My bib number is 303.
    The tracking only updates every 30 min. or so and is dependent on cell signals, so it might not be totally reliable- but it should work.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Have fun! We will be thinking of you.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm hoping you are feeling ok. Heal up quickly. We all support you no matter what!!!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Ummm... the day didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I PR'd my swim from my last IM by 20 minutes and PR'd my bike time from last time by 30 minutes. I was on pace to PR my whole time by at least an hour.

Then I DNF'd at mile 133.

Something happened on the 2nd bike loop about mile 80. My stomach started cramping terribly and I got sick twice (my nutrition was solid all summer- I don't know what went wrong). I couldn't take in any fluids or food for the rest of the bike, and I slowed down significantly that last 32 miles. I went from a 16.6 mph avg (which for me is great) to a 15 mph avg at the end of the bike leg. I had a major meltdown at one aid station (crying uncontrollably). Just finishing the last 10 miles was tough- I just kept telling myself to go just one more mile. Then I'd do it and talk myself into one more mile. Sucks because I was on pace to do a sub 7 hour bike. As it was, bike time was 7:26 (7:42 total time).
    I sat in T2 for 30 minutes drinking coke and trying to calm my stomach down. A few friends working the race talked me through it and encouraged me to just get on the run and start moving. I did and could only walk. I ran about a minute every 10 minutes, but that was even difficult. I was so nauseous and couldn't hold anything down (and I had about 3 major sobbing events). Finally at mile 17.? I made the decision to stop. And once I handed my chip to a volunteer I was totally at peace with it. I went as far as my body let me, and it wasn't worth harming myself for a silly race. I've done one IM, this was just icing on the cake. I'm OK with it. I'm not even disappointed because I know I went as far as I could safely go. I was crawling along at about 2+ mph at the end and I knew it would take me at least 3 more hours to finish the last 7 miles. I knew I didn't have it in me. Got 2 IV's in the med tent, some anti-nausea medicine and came home. My hubs finished his IM in 13:13. It was a tough day for everyone out there. Stomach issues all around and more walking than I've ever seen at an IM.

It is what it is.
    Thanks for your support.

I think I'll stick with halfs. I just don't think this body is meant for IM distance. But at least I completed 1.75 IM events.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Wow, you are amazing! I can't imagine doing anything while nauseas, never mind 13 miles on foot.

You must have crazy determination.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Good for you, Tri Girl. I'm glad you had great swim and bike legs. I'm glad you stopped when your body said you HAD to stop, and that you're good with it. And knowing what your body likes best---halfs---is a great thing to know. I greatly respect how you dealt with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Ummm... the day didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I PR'd my swim from my last IM by 20 minutes and PR'd my bike time from last time by 30 minutes. I was on pace to PR my whole time by at least an hour.

Then I DNF'd at mile 133.

Something happened on the 2nd bike loop about mile 80. My stomach started cramping terribly and I got sick twice (my nutrition was solid all summer- I don't know what went wrong). I couldn't take in any fluids or food for the rest of the bike, and I slowed down significantly that last 32 miles. I went from a 16.6 mph avg (which for me is great) to a 15 mph avg at the end of the bike leg. I had a major meltdown at one aid station (crying uncontrollably). Just finishing the last 10 miles was tough- I just kept telling myself to go just one more mile. Then I'd do it and talk myself into one more mile. Sucks because I was on pace to do a sub 7 hour bike. As it was, bike time was 7:26 (7:42 total time).
    I sat in T2 for 30 minutes drinking coke and trying to calm my stomach down. A few friends working the race talked me through it and encouraged me to just get on the run and start moving. I did and could only walk. I ran about a minute every 10 minutes, but that was even difficult. I was so nauseous and couldn't hold anything down (and I had about 3 major sobbing events). Finally at mile 17.? I made the decision to stop. And once I handed my chip to a volunteer I was totally at peace with it. I went as far as my body let me, and it wasn't worth harming myself for a silly race. I've done one IM, this was just icing on the cake. I'm OK with it. I'm not even disappointed because I know I went as far as I could safely go. I was crawling along at about 2+ mph at the end and I knew it would take me at least 3 more hours to finish the last 7 miles. I knew I didn't have it in me. Got 2 IV's in the med tent, some anti-nausea medicine and came home. My hubs finished his IM in 13:13. It was a tough day for everyone out there. Stomach issues all around and more walking than I've ever seen at an IM.

It is what it is.
    Thanks for your support.

I think I'll stick with halfs. I just don't think this body is meant for IM distance. But at least I completed 1.75 IM events.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks