Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Addicted!

Addicted!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My friend is having a good laugh at me. Last year, when I was riding an hour or 2 a week, just to chat with my friends, I never wore a helmet. I know I should have, but didn't really see the need.

I also swore up and down I wouldn't wear padded shorts.

Now, I have 3 pairs of padded bike shorts, 2 different tops with pockets in the back (I thought they looked funny before), an expensive (for me anyway!) helmet that fits very nice, gel gloves and I a shopping for pants!

I certainly never thought I would wear shorts or pants that would ADD to the size of my rear.

That's how it starts. Seems so innocent at first. Just gloves, or a helmet. The next thing you know, you're selling your car to buy another bike.

Oh, and watch out for those free test rides. Trust me, those rides are not free for long.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I agree. I relate to the Rivendell philosophy of riding: no need for special shoes, wear wool, etc. I always wore and do wear a helmet though. I know have gloves (in case I fall), glasses (to keep bugs out of my eyes), 1 pair of plaid mountain biking shorts, 1 bike specific jersey, and three cycling jackets (windproof, waterproof, and thermal).
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

DITTO!
    Used to quietly make fun of the hubby as he rode down the driveway in his spandex outfit, aero-dynamic helmet, and TWO full water bottles! Now I have my Sheila Moon and Louis Garneau shorts, running tights for over them on cold days, 5 star rated gloves, jacket with pockets in back, and yeppers-TWO water bottles. My daughter went to the bike shop with me to get the Sheila Moons. She was in shock all the way home that her tight wad mother dropped such an amount on "goofy looking" bike shorts. We just spent a week biking in SW Ohio. At a country inn, we both went into severe panic mode upon hearing that we could lock our bikes up OUTSIDE! Who leaves their babies unattended overnight?!?
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

I have just been buying bikes. One for each member of my family and 2 for me! I just bought a Brooks saddle, a basket for my bike, water bottles that attach to the bikes and then swore that I wouldn't spend anything else. Lo and behold, today I found myself looking at bike jackets and shorts and my guess is that I will have both by the end of the week!

Why is it I cant' find anything I like or want to spend my money on for much needed work clothes (office attire)? But take me to the lbs or REI and the sky is the limit.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    Why is it I cant' find anything I like or want to spend my money on for much needed work clothes (office attire)? But take me to the lbs or REI and the sky is the limit.
    work? what is work? oh, that's right...that's one of those other things you have to do when you are not BIKING
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

I'm surprised nobody has said it yet:

Welcome to the dark side, turbjackie!

Thank you, pll! At least I'm not alone, I'm in good company here!