Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Possible/probable bike shop scam

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi folks,

does UPS have some kind of a deposit account where you can pay for something and have them not release the money to the seller until the product is received and approved?

A friend of mine has been looking for a bike over the net, and received the following info from a bike, uh "store", and to say the least, it looks like a scam. But figured I might check the facts just in case I'm being mean 'cause his English is lousy: (I know I could check directly with UPS but this could be useful in case someone else here gets the same kind of offer)

"Hi ,
    Price including all taxes you don't pay another taxes

We will have to use an UPS Agency to complete this deal, an agency which will look for our best interest.

I already arranged with UPS to use their escrow service, a service which will handle the payment and shipping for us.

If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact UPS company and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name,address, telephone number

Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money, to a UPS company account. I require the payment in advance at UPS company because I'm sick of people who are just looking around and not serious about buy. UPS company will hold and insure your money until you check the bikes and decide if you want take it or not.

As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process The Bike will be delivered at your address in no more than 2 working days.

You will be given a 5 days inspection period from the day you receive the Bike and If you decide to hold the Bike, then you will have to authorize UPS company to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed.

If you wish to proceed with buying the Bike, please provide me these details:

Full name:
    Address:
    City:

Once I will get these details I will forward these to UPS and they will contact you with the shipping and payment instruction.

If you are interested in buying the Bike pleases REPLY BACK and I will send you all the details about how UPS works, step by step.

Thank you!"
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Oh that is horrid! No UPS does not offer a service like that. We use Pay Pal and Google Checkout in addition to having people "buy direct" Shipping, based on weight is factored in and shows as a separate cost.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I raise Gordon Setter puppies once a year or so, and I get scam buyers all the time. I get an email/phone call (can always tell by the accent) and they say I want to buy puppy - without asking questions. Red flags galore! I do NOT sell puppies without checking the people out. They say that they will send a money order for the amount of the puppy, and will include $400 extra dollars for shipping the puppy and $100 extra for my trouble. I am to take the $400 and western union it to the shipping company - who will be picking the puppy up at my house. Yeah, right. What happens, is you western union the $400, and then a week or so later you find out that the money order that they sent you was bogus and you are out the $400.00 I didn't fall for this, but alot of people do!

Oh yes, that is certainly a scam...and from all reports a lot of people do seem to get pulled in by this type.

Thanks all. Yep, I was convinced it was a scam for the same reasons, but wanted to check if the UPS payment thingy even existed.

You'd think people had the common sense to check out what account they were paying to before they started shelling out money...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Yeppers..they sound pretty convincing in the beginning. I just got an e-mail like that this morning cause I'm selling some stuff on craigslist. It's ridiculous. Be careful out there! Always meet up at a public place and with a friend if possible and only take cash at hand. Crazy people out there..
    1995 Bianchi Eros
    Steel SS commuter I built