Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Completed Century

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did it I did it I did it!

103 miles, 4611ft of incline. Took EIGHT HOURS but a lot of that was eaten up at all the stops (holy long lines, Batman!). Saw lots of cool stuff, beautiful scenery, some long climbs (one was two miles long, at mile 71) and some REALLY AWESOME descents (Hey! Let's go back and do that again!)

Saw some familiar faces from the last big ride I went to, learned a few names, met some really cool folks along the way.

Had my first clipless pedal fall, in the parking lot after the ride. Some pedestrians came around the side of a van (I was slowing to stop anyway), I unclipped left, fell to the right - landed on the concrete bumper next to the van. Little bruised & will have a new scar on my knee (the same knee as all the others, my left knee is unblemished) and my hand isn't right, the gel gloves took most of the shock but I think there may be a stress crack.

Oh yes - my riding partner! He had quit on me about a week and a half ago after one of our training rides. He'd eaten cheap Mexican the night before and it just killed him, he semi-bonked at mile 50 and so the last 30 miles were horrible for him. The next day he drove part of the Century route, decided there was no way he could make it, and emailed me he was quitting. I emailed it was the Mexican, and how could he quit after all those training hours... and there he was at the next training ride saying he'd give it another shot. He did great then, did great yesterday. So happy for him, it was a goal for him to complete a Century as much as it was mine. We celebrated with a beer after.

All in all, great day, I felt I could keep going at the end so maybe 125 is next!
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Yay! Congrats grey!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Congratulations!!

103 miles, 4611ft of incline. Took EIGHT HOURS but a lot of that was eaten up at all the stops (holy long lines, Batman!). Saw lots of cool stuff, beautiful scenery, some long climbs (one was two miles long, at mile 71) and some REALLY AWESOME descents (Hey! Let's go back and do that again!)
    Where was your century? What event? That's about twice the climbing of the 48 mile short course I just did... I am looking forward to my first century! I'm NOT doing it on my mountain bike, though So I'll be shopping for, buying, and getting used to a road bike between now and then. My plan is to ride in the High Sierra Fall Century again next year, but do the whole thing - gorgeous scenery, and only 1 stop sign in all 100 miles! No long lines, either... wait, I'd better keep quiet about it, or they'll get long - haha!

What was your riding time, Grey? Who cares about the waiting in line??!!! It sounds like it was a wonderful experience.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Congratulations and way to go. Sounds like fun except for those lines.

Congratulations!!!!

Welcome to the Century Club

Hear-Hear! Great job, congratulations on your accomplishment. You must feel just so proud of yourself, well earned with all that training.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Great job! Congratulations!

Congratulations, it sounds like you had an awesome time!

I've also a goal to ride a century, but this year learning how to mountain bike took precedence. Next year

Congratulations grey! I'm glad you had a great ride and that your riding partner decided to join you after all.

My friends and I just did the metric option which ended up being almost 68 miles. They are doing Six Gap next weekend (I was supposed to do it but will be out of town) so we decided to take it "easy" and do the shorter route.

This is one of my favorite rides -- beautiful scenery, not much traffic, great rest stops and beer at the end!
    2004 Colnago Chic - WTB Deva
    2008 Blue RC7 - WTB Deva
    2009 Colnago Master X-lite - WTB Deva

Yay, grey! Congratulations! I'm sorry to hear about your hand, and hope it's not serious.

KB

Great Job to you and your training partner!

Thanks everyone! I'm still pretty excited :-)
    Skibum, SixGap is waaaay beyond me and my standard double. If I had a triple, I'd think about it! Maybe I'll see you on another big ride. The stops at this one were so well done, it was really nice!
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog