Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First class

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit
    ..... note to self: when riding during menses, do not wear zebra-striped shorts. wear black.
    Rabbit; hop on over to one of the many sites discussing the diva cup. Then you can wear your white shorts all month if you want. (Although I hope they don't really make white shorts...)

CR400; My coach has told me on numerous occasions that cadence on the road should be between 75 - 120. At 75 stand up!! (that's him talking) I can tell you for sure that cadences in the 180 range in spin class are NOT good for you. They are potentially damaging on the joints. Plus they are not particularly beneficial to the muscles. And you aren't supposed to get a pec workout in spin class. You shouldn't even get your cadence up to 150. Around 140 or so should be the max, above that increase your tension not your foot speed. I'm surprised your instructor is telling you to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by CR400
    Ok, I'll try to give the actual bpm. I use my heart rate monitor to display the time of activity and then it only shows it as a percent. My max heart rate is set at 210. So between 190 and 210 should be between 90 and 100%. So i guess that would mean it was between 195 and 207.
    First: Anne said it correctly but I'll be more direct ... get a new instructor. Your instructor should be monitoring the class, recommending heart rate ranges -- unless you are doing anaerobic-based race training, sustaining for long periods up to 98% is ridiculous. Your class should either be focused for a specific energy zone or it should have a good varied set which goes thru multiple HR zones (usu 2,3,4).

Second: Get a new instructor (I'm sorry, did I say that already?). Your typical max cadence in a Spinning class, except at a supersprint (like 10-20 sec or so) is generally around 110. For ex, Johnny G Spinning recommends 110 as a max cadence. If you do spinervals DVDs, Coach Troy takes you higher than that. Does your trainer have resistance settings? If you work with resistance, power or gearing you should easily be able to tax yourself such that you are not having to do a super spin to compensate.

Sorry I don't mean to be so direct but instructors who don't educate and help students drive me nuts!!!
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

Ok first off I was trying to see if I could hit that 186. And I usually only do those super fast cadance for no more then 30 sec. If I know the set will be a min, I ride at between 115 and 130. 2 to 5 min about 120. I am using the speedwork class to increase my road cadance so the 120 feels more natural. Because I spent all last season mashing the pedals, I neglected spinning.

As far as heart rate, It appears I was out of shape. Hard to believe after a season of riding and ave 16 to 17mph.

I've been "spinning" since spinning started - quite a few years ago.

First make sure you use a heart rate monitor. You can get one fairly cheap. Know your target zones (depends if you are spinning for "fitness", "fat burning" etc) and stay there occasionally allowing your heart rate to go towards the higher end.

Also tension is a personal thing. My opinion, since I am a cyclist and spin as a supplement to cycling, I try to keep the tension so I am spinning or riding as close to the way I do on the road as possible. That's not to say you won't have alot of tension on the bike to stimulate climbing, but keep in mind, when I hit a steep hill on my bike, I lower my gearing, think of that while spinning.

Also it really is more important to work on proper form then it is to get that tension up all high. I see so many people in class with the tension on too high, and their form gets all funky. Elbows bent and bouncing, knees sprayed out, back too upright. Again think about your form on the bike. Your pedal stoke should be smooth and even, elbows bent and in close to your body, shoulders down, back straight, no bouncing!!!

Start out slow. No need to keep up with the class. Just stay on the bike and spin, get a good workout and as it gets easier ( and it will) then push up that tension.

Have fun, I love spin class especially with a good instructor and good music (which is generally rock, not disco and not too loud. Loud music will send me out of the class).
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I really like my crazy instructor, he's this old guy who is dried out like a prune.

I don't overdo it on the tension either, just so I can comfortably stand in the pedals.

occurrence this sunday: this guy in front of me let go of this gigantic f@rt. I nearly fell off my bike - no oxygen nearby.......... Since I couldn't go anywhere else....

and I refurbished my bike shoes with SPD cleats just for the winter break to take to spinning. It is really uncomfortable when your sneakered feet start going numb.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Heart rate

are you using a machine to measure your heart rate or your own personal montior? A machine in the gym is really is overused is always over what the actual rate is...
    I have been doing spin for years and I spike my rate 4 time per class for at least 60 seconds for weight loss and interval training.
    I do back to back when I can and the 2nd class you really burn that winter fat

I really like my crazy instructor, he's this old guy who is dried out like a prune.

I don't overdo it on the tension either, just so I can comfortably stand in the pedals.

occurrence this sunday: this guy in front of me let go of this gigantic f@rt. I nearly fell off my bike - no oxygen nearby.......... Since I couldn't go anywhere else....

and I refurbished my bike shoes with SPD cleats just for the winter break to take to spinning. It is really uncomfortable when your sneakered feet start going numb.
    Too funny re the fart thing... thank goodness that has never happened to (or come from) me!!!!

I agree with the tension thing... this is an aerobics class not weight training. That's why the heart rate monitor is sooooo important to measure output and effort.

Lastly, definitely should be uses real bike shoes with cleats for obvious reasons. You get can MTB shoes fairly cheap on sale and SPD cleats are $15 a pair. Well worth the investment.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

yep - the shoes were indeed a vast improvement. However, I stepped down once on the floor (nice hardwood) and ouchie, I left a dent.... gotta be careful. only stepping on the towel now that is supplied to go under the bike.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

yep - the shoes were indeed a vast improvement. However, I stepped down once on the floor (nice hardwood) and ouchie, I left a dent.... gotta be careful. only stepping on the towel now that is supplied to go under the bike.
    Are you using mountain bike shoes or road shoes? If an MTB shoe, the cleat is reset (and protected by pontoons on either side of the cleat) and therefore it is easier to walk on the floor, safer too. Should never use a road shoe with an exposed cleat on a hardwood floor.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Are you using mountain bike shoes or road shoes? If an MTB shoe, the cleat is reset (and protected by pontoons on either side of the cleat) and therefore it is easier to walk on the floor, safer too. Should never use a road shoe with an exposed cleat on a hardwood floor.
    Exactly. Make sure you've got a mountain bike shoe. It sounds like you have a road shoe. Never mind the damage to the floor they are super slippery on tile. The recessed cleat of MTB shoes makes for safe and comfortable walking to the locker room...

Road shoes - all I have.

I knew I had to be careful but I inadvertently stepped down once. I only put them on in the room. too slippery otherwise.

Road shoes - all I have.

I knew I had to be careful but I inadvertently stepped down once. I only put them on in the room. too slippery otherwise.
    Watch for sales especially after Christmas. You can usually pick up a no name MTB shoes for $30 - 40. Well worth the investment. I don't use my bike shoes for spin class and vice versa. Spinning can be hard on a cleat plus my feet get all sweaty. Make sure you have a separate show for your bike and another for spin (I have two sets of spin shoes - so they can dry out between rides, 2 pairs of mountain bike shoes and a set of road shoes - more bike shoes than regular shoes. Sad huh?)
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I have one pair of mtb shoes, wear them for all rides, indoors and out.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan
    I have one pair of mtb shoes, wear them for all rides, indoors and out.
    Your feet probably don't get all wet and sweaty like mine!!!

Also I tend to ride through alot of water outsoors so those shoes stay wet and soggy alot. Either way, shoes need to dry out.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Also tension is a personal thing. My opinion, since I am a cyclist and spin as a supplement to cycling, I try to keep the tension so I am spinning or riding as close to the way I do on the road as possible. That's not to say you won't have alot of tension on the bike to stimulate climbing, but keep in mind, when I hit a steep hill on my bike, I lower my gearing, think of that while spinning.
    I also do spinning as an adjunct to road riding. I have an instructor who loves to grind out standing climbs for 5 plus minutes. I'd never do that on my bike. So, I sit & visualize a hill that I'd do a seated climb on. She is cool with whatever people want to do (unlike some spin teachers I've had.)

Also, they say "quarter turn up" - but each bike is different. A quarter turn on one bike could be Mt Everest whilst another bike might be a slight headwind. I use my own judgement.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid