Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would a Turbomatic be less firm than the SSM Arrowhead?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here's my saddle history: SI Lady Gel Flow (not t shaped enough); Specialized Jett 143 (didn't support sit bones enough); Specialized Jett 155 (much better but had some chafing on inner thigh); SSM Glamour Aspide (too firm and squished girl parts); SSM Arrowhead (loved the shape, but cutout not enough to relieve pressure on girl parts and too firm). I feel the the princess and the pea. This is getting ridiculous and expensive.

I'm missing my Jett now--especially the cutout. Is the firmness and cutout of the Turbomatic comparable to the Jett? I'm thinking of trying the Turbomatic because I want a more T-shaped saddle.
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

It's definitely more T-shaped than my 155 Ruby...probably the most T-shaped saddle I've tried. My legs were free and clear of any part of the saddle when I had the Turbo on my bike. That is what I LOVED about this saddle...and the HUGE cut-out, too! Unfortunately, it felt a tad bit too narrow for my sit bones (probably because it is more "domed" on the seating surface...and I need a FLAT surface), so I passed it on to my DH who is quite happy with it. I am back to riding my Ruby for the moment.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I see that you've tried the Lady Gel Flow, but what about the SLR Lady Gel Flow? It's firmer than the regular Lady Gel Flow, but not as firm as the Glamour Aspide (which I loved except for its rock-hardness at 40+ miles). IMO, the shape is about the same between the Glamour Aspide and the SLR Lady Gel Flow.

I really want to try the Turbomatic, but I'm afraid that the dome would be a dealbreaker for me

The Turbomatic is a good bit firmer than a Jett. The cut-out is effectively larger (because of the slope) and, for me, better placed. Never tried a Ruby or Arrowhead, so I can't compare.

If your problem on the 155 Jett was it was too wedge-shaped, then you're in the same place I was, and I'm loving my Turbomatic.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

[QUOTE=Becky;601626]I see that you've tried the Lady Gel Flow, but what about the SLR Lady Gel Flow?

I think that the SLR gel flow is the one i had. My sitbones were between the 143 and 155 on the Specialized scale. The 143 feels slightly too narrow and I found that I kept scooting back for more support. i love the "footprint" of the Aspide and Arrowhead, just not the firmness and pressure on the middle. Basically, i want the Jett 155 but slightly more t-shaped. Also, it's worth pointing out that I like to ride for distance, not necessarily speed. In the next 6 weeks i have 2 centuries and i just don't think I can do them on the Arrowhead...it's too firm and uncomfortable.

[COLOR="Red"]
    '10 Giant Avail

To me it's the other way around.

Squishier saddles are tolerable for short rides.

It's when you've been squishing and moving around on the saddle for hours on end, that it gets really uncomfortable. I would much rather have a firmer saddle for a long ride.

Ive done centuries on the Jett which i found to be about perfect (firm-wise). I was wrong about the Gel Flow, too...I had the Diva Gel Flow. Didnt work for me. Now i'm a little undecided between the SLR gel flow and the Turbomatic.

[COLOR="Red"]
    '10 Giant Avail

I haven't seen the Turbomatic with the cutout, but I have seen the one without a cutout and it is definitely less padded than the Jett.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Mine has the cut-out, and I think it's supposed to be squishier than the one without.

I found the Turbomatic (with cut-out) to have similar firmness to the SSM Glamour Arrowhead, but it was just way too domed, so it wasn't as wide as listed. My sit bone ended up straddling the saddle. It was ouchie. Too bad, since I think if the back end of that saddle were flattened that it would be the best. saddle. ever. I do really like the Glamour Arrowhead, though, but sort of wish the cut-out were a bit bigger. It is a hair firmer than I'd like, too, but my sit bones are adapting. Something with firmness midway between the Jett and Ruby or Jett and Glamour would be perfect.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I think that they've changed the SLR LGF. Mine is definitely 155mm wide.

I'm gonna cry if they're not making it that wide anymore

Have you considered a Bontrager Affinity? I've only done a single 30-mile ride on my Affinity RL WSD but it's a 154 and feels more t-shaped to my inner thighs than a 143 Specialized Ruby or a Fizik Donna, even though I feel like there's a wide platform to support my sit bones. There's a 30-day return option, at least where I bought it, so I'm giving it a try even though I haven't ruled out the recently purchased Ruby.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I notice you have a Brooks on one of your bikes. Do you like it? Does it have a cutout?
    I like the Brooks for looks and for shortish rides. It's a lovely saddle but I wouldn't do a century on it at this point because it's too firm (although I DO like the shape). No cutout, though.

I live near an LBS that sells Bontrager saddles....I may check out the Affinity if they honor the 30 day return policy. If not, I may just go back to the Jett. Although it's definately not "the one", it's the best one I've had so far and I know I can ride a century on it. I'd put my old Jett back on, but somehow one of the rails got bent and now it's ruined! The Arrowhead is up for sale, BTW. PM me if interested.

[COLOR="Red"]
    '10 Giant Avail

The 30-day guarantee is from Bontrager, so all LBSs should honor it.

The 154 mm Affinity WSD is nearly identical in size and shape to the SSM Aspide Glamour.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    The 154 mm Affinity WSD is nearly identical in size and shape to the SSM Aspide Glamour.
    Really?! How does it "feel" in comparison...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2