Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What to expect for first charity ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Didn't know if this belongs in beginner or charity ride section. I am considering doing a charity ride but have a few questions. I have only been riding about 3 months and had to take off about 6 weeks in the middle of that for herniated disk in lower back. I don't know anything about these charity rides at all so any info would be helpful.

I am interested in doing the 27 mile option of a metric century this weekend so nothing too hard in distance. I am VERY new to cycling so my concerns are that 1) I don't want to be ridiculously slow and in the way and 2) I have never ridden in a group. My typical rides thus far have been 12-15 miles after work when I get a chance. I have done several 22 mile rides when I have a little more time on weekends. I felt very comfortable on these rides. Yesterday, DH and I took off on the metric course for this weekend just to see what we could do. I made it just a little over 56 miles (woo hoo), but was miserable by the end and DH rode ahead to get the car to pick me up. So, I know I could make the 27 miles, but I don't want it to take me twice as long as everyone else. I will probably be doing it by myself because DH is not interested in riding a charity ride until he feels good doing the longer distance.

So I guess I am asking what a charity ride is like in general. I am thinking I will not be the only newbie on the 27 mile ride, but would love to hear from any of you. Thanks!

You have come a long way in a short time period! It has taken me since spring to work up to 50 miles, which I did in my first charity ride last weekend.

How slow are you? I am very slow and an older rider that was obese and totally sedentary at the beginning of last winter before I started riding. I averaged 12.2mph on my 50 mile ride. My speed was no problem and I was not the slowest, though I was one of the slowest. They had different start times for different groups (110 miles on down to 22) but they were not at all rigid about when you started, you just needed to be done before all the rest stops closed. Given that you already have done rides longer than the 27 miles odds are you will be fine. You may also find that you are faster riding with others. Previously, my longest ride was 37 miles and I averaged of 10.5mph on that ride. It was on the same trail a month before. Riding with others helped speed me up a bit.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 09-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.

I would guess that I average somewhere between 12-14 mph on the shorter rides. I always look at my distance but forget to look at the average mph after I finish riding. On the long ride yesterday the bike computer said I only averaged 11.5 mph I think. I really pushed a little too much doing the 56 miles yesterday and my legs have really let me know today!

You should be fine. There will be riders at all levels of speed and experience. The faster riders will probably do the longer distances.

Just have fun!!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by gasew7 View Post
    I would guess that I average somewhere between 12-14 mph on the shorter rides. I always look at my distance but forget to look at the average mph after I finish riding. On the long ride yesterday the bike computer said I only averaged 11.5 mph I think. I really pushed a little too much doing the 56 miles yesterday and my legs have really let me know today!
    A ride that was two and a half times as long as your prior longest and you did 11.5mph? That is great. You will be fine and you will be faster on the shorter ride. No worries. Don't push it, just enjoy yourself and ride.

I had my first experience on a charity ride last weekend (MS Alaska ride). I did 52 miles the first day, 28 miles the second. Up until that point my longest ride was 30 miles, and I did fine.

As far as speed is concerned - I don't think you will be the slowest. On the ride I did, there were people of all different fitness levels/riding abilities, including an older guy (probably 70ish) who was riding a single speed bike with foot breaks! We weren't sure how far he went the 1st day, but he did 50 miles the second day - and there were bikers behind him. I think you'll do just fine!

I did the charity ride and it was a lot of fun. I met several women that do a weekly women's ride that I will probably join in on soon. One of the women rode with me most of the way. I know I probably did slow her down a little, but she was very sweet to ride with me. Thanks for your encouragement!

A charity ride isn't at all like a race. No one is paying attention to where they are placed. Some riders spend a long time at rest stop and waste huge amounts of time, others don't stop at all. I just did a charity ride today. The people doing the longer distances tend to be more time-focused, but no one seems to be gunning for the finish on the shorter rides. Just go and have fun and enjoy being around other bikers and talking to them. This may sound mean, but no one is paying attention to you. People are focused on themselves and how they look and are riding that day.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/