Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Cat

To disable ads, please log-in.

My cats have all have odd habits:

We keep a stash of plastic grocery store bags downstairs in the basement for litter scooping purposes. Just so that the cats don't suffocate playing with them, we tie them in knots. Well, Izzy is obsessed with them. She drags them up from the basement and leaves a trail of them upstairs. She's been doing this since was was still pretty small, i.e., when the bags where as big as her. The cats love to play in boxes, we we often have one or more sitting around the house. I looked in one of them the other day and there were plastic bags inside.

Izzy also likes being carried around in stuff. When we cart the laundry basket up and down the stairs, she likes to get in it and go for a ride. She also likes to be carried around in our shopping bags. She's not a mellow cat otherwise, so it cracks us up that she not only tolerates it, but seems to enjoy it.

Sophie had a two mouse toys (the one that are about three inches long with a bell at one end). She got them when she was a kitten. Nearly every night around 8 or 9 p.m., she's bring me one of the mice. As she carried it to me--often from another room--she'd make this funny cry the entire way. It was a very mouse-specific cry; she otherwise never made that sound. When we had her cremated, we included one of the mice. The other one sits next to her ashes.

Henry doesn't bring me anything on a regular basis, but he is completely and utterly obsessed with newspaper. He licks it, he lays in it, he bats it out of your hand as you try to read it, he licks it some more. He waits at the front door while you retrieve it in the morning and then follows you around until he can get to it. It's apparently all that he thinks about. He also does something we call Freakout Cat. Henry is a pretty lazy animal, even as cats go. But about once or twice a day, he goes absolutely crazy. It often starts with him running toward a door jam and jumping up about five feet. He plays with all his toys in a flurry. He makes a bunch of wacky noises and cries. He hides under a blanket and then claws at it like he's trapped. He'll do some combination of this for about five minutes. Then he stares at you and blinks his eyes for a few seconds before promptly falling asleep. It's the funniest thing.

I love cats, but they are so strange (and infinitely entertaining).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Buttons is 4 months old. She was the runt of the litter and had to fight for everything including food as her sisters were able to get to it first. I took her home at 2 months but her scavenging for things hasn't stopped. It probably never will.

Vet says she's doing good and is healthy. I just have to keep using the squirt bottle when she tries to get into the trash. She's getting better.

Dear Bandit,

Howling at the front and back door will get you nowhere. We have this argument every day. You know the agreement: If you can get the door open by yourself, you can come and go when you please. (He will use his paws to rattle the handles to turn them)

The Gatekeeper

Dear Small Brown Cat (Nutmeg)

I know that rubber bands, twist ties, ribbons, threads and bandaides are incredibly attractive. But do you have to eat them??
    Are you punishing us because we limit your exposure to real bugs? (I've noticed that we don't have a resident spider population anymore) I live in fear of you having to have surgery to remove all the inedible stuff you have eaten. Nice kitty!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

These responses have me laughing so hard!

One of my cats, Teddy, insists on petting me in the evenings. When I sit on the couch, he'll jump up and sit behind me, then start running his claws through my hair, purring like crazy and rubbing his face all over the back of my head.

Dear Elliott,

Why do you insist on only peeing in one small corner of the littler box? Do you not realize that it's extremely difficult to get a 2 lb clump of cat pee out of the litter box and into a bag without dropping it everywhere?

Sincerely,
    The pooper scooper

Quote Originally Posted by Titania View Post
    These responses have me laughing so hard!

Dear Elliott,

Why do you insist on only peeing in one small corner of the littler box? Do you not realize that it's extremely difficult to get a 2 lb clump of cat pee out of the litter box and into a bag without dropping it everywhere?

Sincerely,
    The pooper scooper
    I will ditto that and send to Dear Pepper!

Also Dear Pepper,
    Will you please welcome Velcro to the household. She PICKED our house and I know she doesn't really like other kitties much, but she is very sweet and if you quit attacking her maybe, must maybe she would not hiss at you!

Your Mommie

Dear Lucky,
    As see in the other "Dear Cat" requests:
    There are 3 (yes 3) litter boxes in the den AND 1 litter box in YOUR bathroo. Poop goes IN the litter box, not in front for me to see & pick up. Thanks for leaving it neatly for me to see...but I really don't need to see it.

Love your Mommie
    katluvr

Dear Kat,

I realize the cooler evenings have you confused. You want to be where it's warm and cozy. That place right now HAS to be under the covers snuggled against my hip? Cute at first, but you get warm... Jump down... Jump up... Jump down... Jump up... Is sleep deprivation really your punishment for bringing the dog home?? That was six plus years ago!!!

Thanks,
    Your midnight snuggle partner and very caffeinated slave
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Dear Dog..
    you were re-homed 3 times before I met you. If I hadn't been in the right place at the right time I wouldn't have had that opportunity. I can't say it's been easy, but it has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.
    Love, your person forever and ever.

Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    Dear Black and White Kitty,

Why are you pulling all your hair out? You look terrible bald. Also, you throw up lots of hairballs now. I would appreciate it if you would just leave yourself alone and let me brush you instead. Or at least take your anti-OCD medication like a champ instead of drooling all over my floor.

Just trying to help,

Your human slave.
    Psst...gluten intolerance? Had a cat that pulled out her hair. Turned out she was gluten intolerant and the hair pulling was a pain reaction. Put her on a gluten-free diet and she's got fur, she's active and I think some days the princess costs more to feed than me.

Now, if someone could explain....

Dear Boy Cat,

They are wool socks. Just socks. You can leave then in the dirty clothes pile. No need to bring them upstairs one at a time. And, really, no need to announce to the world you found another.

The Can Opener
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

VELCRO!!! too cute!

Dear Skunk,
    I'm out of slippers. You're going to have to find someplace else to puke. Just please let it be where I can find it, because mummified cat vomit is disturbing. Oh, and I'm with everyone else on the request to poop IN the litterbox, rather than beside it.

Sincerely,
    the mean lady who won't let you outside anymore

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Dear Buttons,

I have video evidence of you getting into the box of cookies now so can't claim innocence or blame my other cat. Very ingenious of you to push the box off the table so the cookies fall out onto the floor for your edible enjoyment.

If I wasn't laughing so hard while taping, you'd be in really big trouble right now.

Enjoy your sugar cookie. If you puke all night, don't come to me for sympathy.

The Mom

All of these have me laughing!!

Let's see....

Every time I open my drawer with my brush and hairbands, my Penny comes running in the bathroom (and she could be sleeping on the other side of the house), to try to grab some of the hairbands. I've lost so many of them that they're all over the house.

Reno tend to swat at me and my DF when we walk past him without petting. He gets a in a hissy fit if he gets no attention.

Mocha is the pee'er. She'll pee on our clothes/towels if we leave them on the floor. We've tried medications, and it does help. I may have to put her back on them again (anti-anxiety meds).

Penny and Telly (yes, named after Penn and Teller...after all, I do live in Vegas) - LOVE to lick plastic bags, and goes nuts over them. The other three, not so much.

We get boxes all the time, so we always change our cardboard boxes from time to time to keep the cats entertained...cheaper than getting a cat tree.

Anyone have multicat household? I HIGHLY recommend this gigantic litter box that can hold 25-40 lbs of litter. I do have two smaller ones spread out, but all the cats use this box and very easy to clean.

Those who are sick of "poop" outside the box...it COULD be that the fur that the cats are swallowing get stuck on their butts, so as they exit the litterbox, they "shake" 'em off. Happened quite a few times with my cats.

Dearest Peanut,

Please behave while 'Grandma' is watching you. Try not to scare her dogs and bully them. Stop glaring at poor Bosley so he can't get into her bedroom to his bed. Stop hissing and swatting at Zoe when she goes running by. Poor doggies There is a reason your nickname is "Peavil".

Your human

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgQueen View Post
    Penny and Telly (yes, named after Penn and Teller...after all, I do live in Vegas) - LOVE to lick plastic bags, and goes nuts over them. The other three, not so much.

Anyone have multicat household? I HIGHLY recommend this gigantic litter box that can hold 25-40 lbs of litter. I do have two smaller ones spread out, but all the cats use this box and very easy to clean.

Those who are sick of "poop" outside the box...it COULD be that the fur that the cats are swallowing get stuck on their butts, so as they exit the litterbox, they "shake" 'em off. Happened quite a few times with my cats.
    Clementine's favorite flavor of plastic bags is Target, by far. But grocery store bags will suffice if nothing else is available.

I have a giant storage tub as my litter box. The walls are high enough that they can't fling, and no way is anyone accidentally leaving their butt hanging out of the box when they "use" it. But while Skunk does have long hair and occasionally leaves poop surprises around the house, I've seen her perch on the corner of the box and deliberately go over the edge (outside). I think it's less likely to stick in her hair if she sits like that...but I wish she'd learn to do it IN the box and not OUT. Or heck, over the toilet.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Psst...gluten intolerance? Had a cat that pulled out her hair. Turned out she was gluten intolerant and the hair pulling was a pain reaction. Put her on a gluten-free diet and she's got fur, she's active and I think some days the princess costs more to feed than me.
    Well, maybe, but Theo's been on a grain-free diet since I got him 3 years ago. He only has done it when other cats have lived with us, but this time it's worse than usual. I think the move, coupled with weird apartment noises (we used to live in a very quiet, secluded neighborhood), a new kitty in our lives, and all the travelling I have been doing lately has him really stressed out. He's my sweet, sensitive boy. Amitryptilline seems to do the trick though!

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgQueen View Post
    Nope, sometimes it's by the litterbox, others it's across the room. There is purposeful litter box avoidance. But she'll pee in the box. The really crazy thing was I took her with me to a friend's house for the weekend, along with one of the litter boxes. She was a perfect house guest and used the box all weekend. Came home, put the same box down, and she poops next to it.
    Beth