Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Deflating a tire with a broken valve

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't tried yet, and I'm probably imagining it's going to be much harder than it is in reality.

For the first time ever, I broke off the nut and the end of the Presta valve core while airing my tire. Actually it was while taking off the pump head, so the tire was up to pressure and I was able to ride. But now how do I change the tube? I don't want to have to stick a pin through the tire!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Can you use something like a nail or a small allen key to depress what's left of the Presta valve?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what the inside of a presta valve looks like, but presumably you can poke in something that will do the job of the broken off core.

But maybe you won't want to change the tube unless you get a flat, in which case - problem solved.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

You might actually be able to replace the valve itself. A few weeks ago, I unscrewed the cover cap on the valve of my road bike, and it was after riding my touring bike for two weeks, so the valve was sort of "stuck". The cap unscrewed the valve itself, a completely separate thing from the tube. So your LBS may be able to replace the valve separately from the tube.

Would a valve extender help?
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Some, not all tubes, have replaceable valves. You can ask at your LBS, but they may prefer to just sell you a new tube.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBikes View Post
    You might actually be able to replace the valve itself. A few weeks ago, I unscrewed the cover cap on the valve of my road bike, and it was after riding my touring bike for two weeks, so the valve was sort of "stuck". The cap unscrewed the valve itself, a completely separate thing from the tube. So your LBS may be able to replace the valve separately from the tube.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

if nothing else works, scrap the tube- stab it with a knife or something and move on with a new tube.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."